Buddhists on Cutting Edge?

Alleviating worldly suffering along the way.

Buddhists on Cutting Edge?

Postby plwk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:45 pm

Read all about it... Buddhists on Cutting Edge?
plwk

Re: Buddhists on Cutting Edge?

Postby plwk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:05 pm

One example that I can cite from having seen and known personally is this international Buddhist organisation known as 'Dharma Drum Mountain' who founding Grandmaster was the late Ven Master Sheng-yen and was highly impressed with how they have taken environmental innovations as part of Dharma practice and way of life when I visited them in Taiwan back last late July and the local chapter in my country...see these links:
Global Involvement
Six Ethics of the Mind
The Earth Charter
Innovative Feature of DDM's the Liberation Rite of Water and Land

Another is Buddhist Tzu Chi Foundation...who founder is the Venerable Master Cheng-yen, also known as the 'Buddhist Mother Teresa', whose legendary frugal and simple living has been emulated by her Society and in turn all who have even come in touch with them, especially the sick, poor, suffering and afflicted.
Tzu Chi's Environmental Protection Philosophy
Healthy, Tasty Cuisine at the Fair
Tzu Chi Hospital’s Doctors Share Experience on Healthy Living
Greenacts
plwk

Re: Buddhists on Cutting Edge?

Postby Indrajala » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:11 am

plwk wrote:One example that I can cite from having seen and known personally is this international Buddhist organisation known as 'Dharma Drum Mountain' who founding Grandmaster was the late Ven Master Sheng-yen and was highly impressed with how they have taken environmental innovations as part of Dharma practice and way of life when I visited them in Taiwan back last late July and the local chapter in my country...see these links:
Global Involvement
Six Ethics of the Mind
The Earth Charter
Innovative Feature of DDM's the Liberation Rite of Water and Land

Another is Buddhist Tzu Chi Foundation...who founder is the Venerable Master Cheng-yen, also known as the 'Buddhist Mother Teresa', whose legendary frugal and simple living has been emulated by her Society and in turn all who have even come in touch with them, especially the sick, poor, suffering and afflicted.
Tzu Chi's Environmental Protection Philosophy
Healthy, Tasty Cuisine at the Fair
Tzu Chi Hospital’s Doctors Share Experience on Healthy Living
Greenacts

At the DDM giftshop a quarter of the store is reusable chop sticks, bowls, cloth bags and other useful items for conservation. :smile:

Taiwanese Buddhism also encourages vegetarianism, which of course is also good for the environment.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Return to Engaged Buddhism