Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
Topic split from here:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=9638


Huseng wrote:
《四分律》卷43:「爾時有比丘患風。醫教用煙。佛言聽用煙。」(CBETA, T22, no. 1428, p. 877, a12-13)

“At that time there was a bhikṣu suffering wind. The doctor instructed him to use 'smoking'. The Buddha said using 'smoking' was permissible.”


Huseng wrote:
Lotus415 wrote:
Interesting, since Hsuan Hua said in the comments on smoking provided in the link above that, " during that time when the Buddha was in the world no one knew how to smoke."


They knew how to smoke and clearly did. It was part of Ayurveda. Again, it wasn't tobacco, but probably opium or cannabis. Also, this was for medical reasons, not to get high. :smile:



No, niether cannabis or opium is intended here. Smoking a specific blend of medicinal herbs that are good for the lungs is mentioned as part of dinācarya (regular conduct) in the Caraka Saṃhita.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 5986
Location: Taiwan
Malcolm wrote:


No, niether cannabis or opium is intended here. Smoking a specific blend of medicinal herbs that are good for the lungs is mentioned as part of dinācarya (regular conduct) in the Caraka Saṃhita.


I stand corrected. However, it doesn't specify specifically what the substance is to be smoked.

_________________
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog) Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog) Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog) Dharma Depository (Site)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
Huseng wrote:
Malcolm wrote:


No, niether cannabis or opium is intended here. Smoking a specific blend of medicinal herbs that are good for the lungs is mentioned as part of dinācarya (regular conduct) in the Caraka Saṃhita.


I stand corrected. However, it doesn't specify specifically what the substance is to be smoked.



Quote:
《四分律》卷43:「爾時有比丘患風。醫教用煙。佛言聽用煙。」(CBETA, T22, no. 1428, p. 877, a12-13)

“At that time there was a bhikṣu suffering wind. The doctor instructed him to use 'smoking'. The Buddha said using 'smoking' was permissible.”


Which Vinaya is this from. It is probably clear in the Tibetan.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 5986
Location: Taiwan
Malcolm wrote:
Which Vinaya is this from. It is probably clear in the Tibetan.


Dharmagupta Vinaya, entitled Four Part Vinaya in Chinese.

_________________
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog) Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog) Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog) Dharma Depository (Site)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 8:28 am
Posts: 2327
Location: the Netherlands and India
Could the "smoking" refer to moxibustion?

I can ask Geshe la about this maybe, if people are interested. I don't have Kunkyen Tsonawa's text with me at the moment, which is one of the more popular Vinaya commentaries. It would also take me a long time to find the relevant passage as the vocabulary is antiquated and quite tough, it is a rather early text.

_________________
In order to ensure my mind never comes under the power of the self-cherishing attitude,
I must obtain control over my own mind.
Therefore, amongst all empowerments, the empowerment that gives me control over my mind is the best,
and I have received the most profound empowerment with this teaching.
-Atisha Dipamkara
brtsal ba'i bkhra drin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 5986
Location: Taiwan
JKhedrup wrote:
Could the "smoking" refer to moxibustion?

I can ask Geshe la about this maybe, if people are interested. I don't have Kunkyen Tsonawa's text with me at the moment, which is one of the more popular Vinaya commentaries. It would also take me a long time to find the relevant passage as the vocabulary is antiquated and quite tough, it is a rather early text.


Don't burden yourself, but if he knows anything about this it'd be useful.

I'm looking through the Chinese canon right now for similar references.

_________________
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog) Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog) Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog) Dharma Depository (Site)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 5986
Location: Taiwan
There is this from the Mahīśāsaka Vinaya:

Quote:
《彌沙塞部和醯五分律》卷26:「舍利弗患風波斯匿王語言。應以乾蝦蟇薰鼻。不敢用。佛言。聽用。」(CBETA, T22, no. 1421, p. 176, c1-3)

Śāriputra was suffering wind. King Prasenajit said, "You should with fumigate the nose with dried toad(?)." He dare not use it. The Buddha said, "It is permitted to be used."


蝦蟇 is also defined as a kind of walnut or peach kernel, which is what the dictionary gives, though its usage usually seems to refer to a toad.

There's also another reference which refers to the medicine being made from herbs and formed into a ball to be smoked in a pipe, which the Buddha specifies as being neither too short nor too long.

_________________
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog) Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog) Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog) Dharma Depository (Site)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group