Triskandhadharmasutra - The Three Heap Sutra

Discuss and learn about the traditional scriptures.

Triskandhadharmasutra - The Three Heap Sutra

Postby kirtu » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:16 pm

This is a Mahayana sutra for purification through confession and prostrations to the 35 Buddhas listed in the sutra. Lama Zopa says in his instructions that the seven Buddhas of the Medicine Buddha Sutra can be appended to the list of the 35 Buddhas.

This sutra is also called the Sutra of the Three Heaps. The practice is also called the Confession to the 35 Buddhas and similar names.

Here is one link to the sutra:
Thubten Chodron's 35 Buddhas pdf

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
User avatar
kirtu
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4589
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Triskandhadharmasutra - The Three Heap Sutra

Postby catmoon » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:25 am

kirtu wrote:This is a Mahayana sutra for purification through confession and prostrations to the 35 Buddhas listed in the sutra. Lama Zopa says in his instructions that the seven Buddhas of the Medicine Buddha Sutra can be appended to the list of the 35 Buddhas.

This sutra is also called the Sutra of the Three Heaps. The practice is also called the Confession to the 35 Buddhas and similar names.

Here is one link to the sutra:
Thubten Chodron's 35 Buddhas pdf

Kirt


Thought I'd add that this sutra is recommended for study and practice by Shantideva in the Guide.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
User avatar
catmoon
Former staff member
 
Posts: 2995
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:20 am
Location: British Columbia

Re: Triskandhadharmasutra - The Three Heap Sutra

Postby ground » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:46 pm

The confession of Transgressions Sutra

Homage to our Teacher, the Bhagavan, the Tathagata, the Completely Enlightened One, the Glorious Victor - Shakyamuni
Homage to Tathagata who Vanquishes through Vajra Essence [Vajramandapramardin]
Homage to Tathagata Emanator of Precious Light Rays [Ratnarchi]
Homage to Tathagata King of the Powerful Nagas [Geyaraja]
Homage to Tathagata Tribe of Heroes [Vorasena]
Homage to Tathagata Glorious Happiness [Voranandin]
Homage to Tathagata Precious Fire [Ratnagni]
Homage to Tathagata Precious Moonlight [Ratnachandaprabha]
Homage to Tathagata Meaningful to Behold [Amoghadarshin]
Homage to Tathagata Precious Moon [Ratnachandra]
Homage to Tathagata Stainless [Vimala]
Homage to Tathagata Glorious Generosity [Shridatta]
Homage to Tathagata Purity [Brahma]
Homage to Tathagata Bestowed by Purity [Brahmadatta]
Homage to Tathagata Water God [Varuna]
Homage to Tathagata God of the Water God [Varunadeva]
Homage to Tathagata Glorious Noble [Shribhadra]
Homage to Tathagata Glorious Sandalwood [Chandanashri]
Homage to Tathagata Infinite Brilliance [Anantejas]
Homage to Tathagata Glorious Light [Prabhasashri]
Homage to Tathagata Glory of Having No Sorrow [Ashokashri]
Homage to Tathagata Man of No Clinging [Narayana]
Homage to Tathagata Glorious Flower [Kusumashri]
Homage to Tathagata Directly Knowing through the Play of Purity's Light Rays [Brahmajyotirvikrodhitabhijna]
Homage to Tathagata Directly Knowing through the Play of the Lotus' Light Rays [Padmajyotirvikrodhitabhijna]
Homage to Tathagata Glorious Wealth [Danashri]
Homage to Tathagata Glorious Remembrance [Smrtishri]
Homage to Tathagata Most Renowned for Glorious Purity [Brahmashrisuparikirti]
Homage to Tathagata King of the Victory Banner that Flies above Indra [Indraketudhvajaraja]
Homage to Tathagata Glory of Most Complete Dominance [Suvikrantashri]
Homage to Tathagata Most Complete Victory in Battle [Yuddhajaya]
Homage to Tathagata Glory of Having Reached Complete Dominance [Vikrantagamishri]]
Homage to Tathagata Glorious Pattern of Light Everywhere [Samantavabhasavyuhashri}
Homage to the Tathagata Complete Dominance through the Precious Lotus [Ratnapadmavikramin]
Homage to Tathagata, the Arhat, the Completely Enlightened Precious One who Sits on a Lotus - King of the Lord of Mountains [Shailendraraja].

These and all Tathagatas, Arhats, Completely Enlightened Ones and Bhagavans to be found in all the worlds in [all] ten directions - all the living Bhagavan Buddhas in existence - please heed me:
In this rebirth, and in all my rebirth states since beginningless time on the wheel of samsara, I have committed, encouraged others to do, and rejoiced over sinful actions. I have stolen offerings made to stupas, to the Sangha, to the Sangha of the ten directions; I have encouraged others to do these; I have rejoiced over such actions. I have committed the five heinous crimes, encouraged others to do them, and rejoiced over such crimes. I have fulfilled the complete karmic process for the ten non-virtues; I have encouraged others to do this; I have rejoiced when others did this. Obscured by every sort of karmic obscuration, I have been hell beings and have been born in animal states, in the realm of hungry ghosts, in remote regions, as barbarians, as long-lived gods, as [humans] with defective sense organs, as people upholding wrong views and as people who did not rejoice over the coming of a Buddha. Whatever my karmic obscurations may be, I confess them all, admit them all, reveal them all, uncover them all before the Bhagavan Buddhas, who have primal wisdom, the eyes [of compassion], who have power, valid cognition, and see with their omniscience. I future I will cut myself off from such actions, and will refain from them.
All the Bhagavan Buddhas, please heed me:
I may have root virtues from practicing generosity in this rebirth and in my other rebirth states in samsara since beginningless times - even of giving a single scrap of food to beings who have been reborn in animal states. I may have root virtues from safeguarding my ethics; I may have root virtues from practicing celibacy; I may have root virtues from ripening sentient beings, I may have root virtues from developing the wish for supreme enlightenment; I may have root virtues from supreme primal wisdom. All the root virtues I may have, I gather them together, bring them together. I gather them together and dedicate them to the supreme, the highest, the higher-than-high, the supreme of supremes. I dedicate them to my supreme, perfect, complete enlightenment. Just as the Bhagavan Buddhas of the past dedicated their root virtues, and just as the Bhagavan Buddhas yet to come will dedicate their root virtues, and just as the Bhagavan Buddhas still alive at present dedicate their root virtues, so I dedicate mine. I confess each and every sin. I rejoice over all merit. I plead with all the Buddhas and petition them: may I gain holiest and supreme primal wisdom. I fold my hands to all the present Victorious Ones still alive and supreme among humans, to all the Victorious Ones of the past, and to all of time yet to come; may I come under your protection.
(Colophon: so ends the Mahayana Sutra entitled The Three Noble Heaps)
User avatar
ground
 
Posts: 1782
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:31 am

Re: Triskandhadharmasutra - The Three Heap Sutra

Postby Aemilius » Fri May 07, 2010 11:55 am

catmoon wrote:
kirtu wrote:This is a Mahayana sutra for purification through confession and prostrations to the 35 Buddhas listed in the sutra. Lama Zopa says in his instructions that the seven Buddhas of the Medicine Buddha Sutra can be appended to the list of the 35 Buddhas.

This sutra is also called the Sutra of the Three Heaps. The practice is also called the Confession to the 35 Buddhas and similar names.

Here is one link to the sutra:
Thubten Chodron's 35 Buddhas pdf

Kirt


Thought I'd add that this sutra is recommended for study and practice by Shantideva in the Guide.



In the commentary of the Sutra it is explained that the Three Heaps ( TriSkandha) refers to three groups of precepts, which are: !. Refraining from negative deeds, 2. Doing positive deeds, and 3. Doing what is beneficial. These three groups of precepts are also mentioned in the Medicine Buddha Sutra.
There isn't very much talk at all about the 2. and 3. group of precepts in the existing sutra, so I think it is only a small part of the original sutra of that name. The normal introductory and end parts of a sutra are also missing, which is an other reason to believe that the sutra has been considerably longer.
Normally you never find any mention of the precepts of the 2. and the 3. classes in any existing sutra. Nevertheless it is encouraging that they have existed at one time, and the reconstructed positive precepts of Thich Nhat Hanh (and others) are therefore more than justified.
svaha
User avatar
Aemilius
 
Posts: 1568
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Triskandhadharmasutra - The Three Heap Sutra

Postby Huifeng » Fri May 07, 2010 12:52 pm

The above repentance forms the basis of what in the Chinese tradition is known as the "88 buddhas repentence", 53 buddhas from another text are added to the 35 given above. Such a practice appears to have been an important part of the Mahayana from its outset. Nowadays in China, this is recited every day as part of the evening recitation.
User avatar
Huifeng
 
Posts: 1471
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:51 am

Re: Triskandhadharmasutra - The Three Heap Sutra

Postby kirtu » Fri May 07, 2010 1:02 pm

Huifeng wrote:The above repentance forms the basis of what in the Chinese tradition is known as the "88 buddhas repentence", 53 buddhas from another text are added to the 35 given above. Such a practice appears to have been an important part of the Mahayana from its outset. Nowadays in China, this is recited every day as part of the evening recitation.


Is the 88 Buddhas Repentance otherwise different from the Three Heap Sutra? Is there a translated version of the 88 Buddhas Repentance available online? Who are the other 53 Buddhas mentioned?

In the Tibetan tradition one can also add the 7 Medicine Buddhas.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
User avatar
kirtu
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4589
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Triskandhadharmasutra - The Three Heap Sutra

Postby Huifeng » Sat May 08, 2010 3:14 am

kirtu wrote:
Huifeng wrote:The above repentance forms the basis of what in the Chinese tradition is known as the "88 buddhas repentence", 53 buddhas from another text are added to the 35 given above. Such a practice appears to have been an important part of the Mahayana from its outset. Nowadays in China, this is recited every day as part of the evening recitation.


Is the 88 Buddhas Repentance otherwise different from the Three Heap Sutra? Is there a translated version of the 88 Buddhas Repentance available online? Who are the other 53 Buddhas mentioned?

In the Tibetan tradition one can also add the 7 Medicine Buddhas.

Kirt


Hi Kirt,

Here is my own draft translation* of the 88 Buddhas Repentence.
I think that it is a kind of Chinese compilation, based on the Triskandhaka, but not the same.
Eighty Eight Buddhas Repentance.pdf
(224.36 KiB) Downloaded 222 times


* Note that I've left out back translations of the names of a couple of Buddhas, substituting "XXX"! :tongue:
User avatar
Huifeng
 
Posts: 1471
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:51 am

Re: Triskandhadharmasutra - The Three Heap Sutra

Postby Aemilius » Fri May 14, 2010 7:30 am

Huifeng wrote:
kirtu wrote:
Huifeng wrote:The above repentance forms the basis of what in the Chinese tradition is known as the "88 buddhas repentence", 53 buddhas from another text are added to the 35 given above. Such a practice appears to have been an important part of the Mahayana from its outset. Nowadays in China, this is recited every day as part of the evening recitation.


Is the 88 Buddhas Repentance otherwise different from the Three Heap Sutra? Is there a translated version of the 88 Buddhas Repentance available online? Who are the other 53 Buddhas mentioned?

In the Tibetan tradition one can also add the 7 Medicine Buddhas.

Kirt


Hi Kirt,

Here is my own draft translation* of the 88 Buddhas Repentence.
I think that it is a kind of Chinese compilation, based on the Triskandhaka, but not the same.
Eighty Eight Buddhas Repentance.pdf


* Note that I've left out back translations of the names of a couple of Buddhas, substituting "XXX"! :tongue:



Do know any commentaries to the Triskandha sutra, by ancient or modern masters? I think some gelugpa has published a commentary by Nagarjuna to this sutra, haven't seen it for long time though.
svaha
User avatar
Aemilius
 
Posts: 1568
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Triskandhadharmasutra - The Three Heap Sutra

Postby Will » Fri May 14, 2010 3:30 pm

Aemilius
Do know any commentaries to the Triskandha sutra, by ancient or modern masters? I think some gelugpa has published a commentary by Nagarjuna to this sutra, haven't seen it for long time though.


It is still in print, but only excerpts from N. comments are included
http://www.namsebangdzo.com/product_p/5229.htm
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
User avatar
Will
 
Posts: 1939
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am

Re: Triskandhadharmasutra - The Three Heap Sutra

Postby kirtu » Fri May 14, 2010 3:36 pm

Huifeng wrote:Here is my own draft translation* of the 88 Buddhas Repentence.
I think that it is a kind of Chinese compilation, based on the Triskandhaka, but not the same.
Eighty Eight Buddhas Repentance.pdf


* Note that I've left out back translations of the names of a couple of Buddhas, substituting "XXX"! :tongue:


Thank-you so much! But what do you mean by back translations?

Just glancing at the 88 Buddhas Repentance it is the same in structure and appears at first glance to be the same wrt the Buddhas too (I didn't count them but there don't appear to be 88 Buddhas). Then the sections following the names are also essentially the same.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
User avatar
kirtu
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4589
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD


Return to Sūtra Studies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

>