Suttavibhanga/Patimokkha: "... meetings of the Community."

Discuss and learn about the traditional scriptures.

Suttavibhanga/Patimokkha: "... meetings of the Community."

Postby Ikkyu » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:39 pm

At the moment I'm reading the Vinaya of the Pali canon, as I'm not sure whether it is identical to those of the Chinese of Tibetan canons and it's easier to get a hold of the reading material.

It says in the Suttavibhanga that certain offenses in the monastic community "entail[s] initial and subsequent meetings of the Community." For instance, "Intentional discharge of semen, except while dreaming, entails initial and subsequent meetings of the Community." (PC/Tptk., Svb., Sanghadisesa # 1)

What does "initial and subsequent meetings of the Community" imply?

Thank you. :smile:
"Nothing can be known, not even this."
-- Arcesilaus (but I'm not sure)
Ikkyu

Re: Suttavibhanga/Patimokkha: "... meetings of the Community."

Postby Ikkyu » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:45 am

I guess I'm barking up the wrong tree here with suttas instead of Mahayana sutras?
"Nothing can be known, not even this."
-- Arcesilaus (but I'm not sure)
Ikkyu

Re: Suttavibhanga/Patimokkha: "... meetings of the Community."

Postby viniketa » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:54 am

Ikkyu wrote:At the moment I'm reading the Vinaya of the Pali canon, as I'm not sure whether it is identical to those of the Chinese of Tibetan canons and it's easier to get a hold of the reading material.

It says in the Suttavibhanga that certain offenses in the monastic community "entail[s] initial and subsequent meetings of the Community." For instance, "Intentional discharge of semen, except while dreaming, entails initial and subsequent meetings of the Community." (PC/Tptk., Svb., Sanghadisesa # 1)

What does "initial and subsequent meetings of the Community" imply?

To my knowledge, there is no separate Vinaya (canonic or otherwise) for Mahāyāna, though some communities may add specific rules. Initial and subsequent has no esoteric meaning. Such offenses are usually discussed among the monastics over many occasions.

:namaste:
If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
viniketa

Return to Sūtra Studies