Four Holy Truths chapter of Avatamsaka Sutra

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
Nicholas Weeks

Four Holy Truths chapter of Avatamsaka Sutra

Postby Nicholas Weeks » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:43 pm

Thanks to Anders' reminder, this is an excellent teaching on using skillful means when studying or teaching the buddhadharma.

From chapter eight: http://cttbusa.org/avatamsaka/avatamsaka8.asp
A bodhisattva does not become weary of evil beings nor does he commit the error of bringing forth thoughts inclined to reject them and cast them aside. Avatamsaka Sutra, ch. 25

plwk

Re: Four Holy Truths chapter of Avatamsaka Sutra

Postby plwk » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:12 pm

I don't have my notes with me now but if I recall correctly, in Mahayana, the first three of the 4NT are considered as the provisional and the Fourth Noble Truth which has the Eightfold Path is the 'ultimate' right? I recall this thread viewtopic.php?f=39&t=407

Nicholas Weeks

Postby Nicholas Weeks » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:37 pm

A bodhisattva does not become weary of evil beings nor does he commit the error of bringing forth thoughts inclined to reject them and cast them aside. Avatamsaka Sutra, ch. 25

Nicholas Weeks

Postby Nicholas Weeks » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:37 pm

Last edited by Nicholas Weeks on Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicholas Weeks

Postby Nicholas Weeks » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:40 pm

Return to “Sūtra Studies”