"Sutra of Tending Buffalo" -- Please help me locate

Discuss and learn about the traditional scriptures.

"Sutra of Tending Buffalo" -- Please help me locate

Postby Namkha » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:47 am

Greetings,

I'm studying "Being Peace" by Thich Nhat Hanh. On page 27 (chapter 2) of the 2005 edition, Thay writes, "There is a scripture in the Pali Canon called the Sutra of Tending Buffalo..." There is no footnote, and I don't seem to be having any luck finding it. My google searches lead me either to the book I'm studying or to TNH's "Old Path, White Clouds," which is partially told from the view of Svasti the Buffalo Boy (who was the inspiration for the sutra according to "Being Peace").

I've searched google, Access to Insight and several of the forums, but so far no luck. Hoping that someone on this board may know of this sutra or other spots worth checking.

Many thanks,
Namkha
Namkha

Re: "Sutra of Tending Buffalo" -- Please help me locate

Postby Sherab » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:31 am

Not sure if this is what you are looking for:
http://www.vipassana.info/033-mahagopalaka-sutta-e1.htm
Sherab

Postby Namkha » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:22 pm

That's it exactly, Sherab. Thank you so much for helping me locate it. I should have been searching for "cowherd", I see now!

_ _ /|\ _ _
Namkha
Namkha

Postby Bodhi » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:08 pm

You might also find this Interesting, it is the ten oxherding poems of Chan/Zen Buddhism with painting illustration.

Click Here
Wherever you are, that is where the mind should be. Always be mindful, and be your own master. This is true freedom. - Grand Master Wei Chueh
Bodhi

Return to Sūtra Studies