Wives of Siddhartha Gautama II

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
Aemilius

Wives of Siddhartha Gautama II

Post by Aemilius »

The original Lalitavistara sutra was taken out of India, i. e. the version where the period of His love life is included. It circulated widely, it had a vast influence, this influence can be seen in such literary works as Boccacio's Decamerone and Chaucer's Cantenbury Tales. They both have a stamp of Shakyamuni's life story, the feeling of the real existence of Bhagavan Shakyamuni.
According to Etienne Lamotte Gopa is mentioned as Shakyamuni's wife in several other Mahayana sutras besides Lalitavistara, in the Shurangamasamadhi sutra she has a chapter, and she features also in the Suvarnabhasha sutra. In the footnotes of the Shurangamasamadhi Lamotte says:
" According to the Mahayana Upadesha of Nagarjuna bodhisattva Siddhartha had two wives; first was called Gopa or Gopiya, second was called Yashodhara, first one did not give children."
"Mulasarvastivadin Vinaya attributes three wives to Him, each surrounded by 20 000 courtesans: Yashodhara, Gopa, and Mrigaja"
"Seven days before the Great Departure when the future Buddha was returning to His palace Mrigaja addressed Him with the famous stanza: Nibbuta nuna sa mala; Shakyamuni in thanks cast a necklace to the young woman,"
(T 1450, ch3. p. 114b, Rockhill op. cit. pp 23-24)
Buston's Blue Annals mentions that bodhisattva Gautama had two wives and gives their tibetan names.
In a Driking Kagyu life story of Siddhartha you find:"In addition He accepted other Queens and their retinues, totalling 84 000 in all."
( The Great Kagyu Masters the Golden Lineage Treasury, Snow Lion 1990)
Modern ethnic buddhists tend to be lutheran-protestant in style and attitude, they automatically make Siddhartha Gautama a monogamous person, therefore you must value this statement, that Drikung Kagyu has told us, as something very precious.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Astus
Former staff member

Re: Wives of Siddhartha Gautama II

Post by Astus »

I don't think this monogamous Buddha concept is because of Christian background as we get that story from Theravada. Also, what do you mean by "ethnic buddhists" in this context?
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Aemilius wrote: Modern ethnic buddhists tend to be lutheran-protestant in style and attitude, they automatically make Siddhartha Gautama a monogamous person, therefore you must value this statement, that Drikung Kagyu has told us, as something very precious.
That's one hell of a broad statement.

Hundreds of millions of people across a dozen or more cultures all tend to make Gautama a monogamous person?
Gyalpo

Post by Gyalpo »

I think in those times it was quite normal to have several wifes and concubines. I dont see Gautama to be monogamous, but there is allways one primary wife, according to theravada it was Yashodhara.

Also, when you read about Marpa Lotsawa, you find out, that he has wife Dagmema. But in fact, he has all together -if I remember right- eight wifes.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Huseng wrote:
Aemilius wrote: Modern ethnic buddhists tend to be lutheran-protestant in style and attitude, they automatically make Siddhartha Gautama a monogamous person, therefore you must value this statement, that Drikung Kagyu has told us, as something very precious.
That's one hell of a broad statement.

Hundreds of millions of people across a dozen or more cultures all tend to make Gautama a monogamous person?
I'm sorry for this broad accusation. I felt a need to put something suitably negative into it. I don't wish to enumerate the nationalities of ethnic buddhists I have met, but a common thing seems to be an acceptance of somekind of lutheran values, how else could you put it ? It goes so deep that you feel ashamed of it, but I still don't feel like telling any examples, I think people born in Scandinavia, which is 90% lutheran area, have more faith in the existence of enlightened persons than do ethnic and educated buddhists, who seem to hate everyone who thinks that there have ever been enlightened persons! This has lead one to think that it is the driving force in them, the cause why they are buddhists and why they participate in buddhist gatherings, they are driven by jealousy, by a wish to destroy the european faith in Three Treasures, they want own what they don't have anymore. May be this is just a normal course of history; thesis, antithesis and synthesis kind of phenomenon?
svaha
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Asian Buddhists aiming to destroy Western Buddhism? Are you serious? And all this based on how many wives Siddhartha had?
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Astus wrote:Asian Buddhists aiming to destroy Western Buddhism? Are you serious? And all this based on how many wives Siddhartha had?

Don't misread me, the question has nothing to do with the wives, I would very much like to be in the wrong ofcourse,...
svaha
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Astus wrote:I don't think this monogamous Buddha concept is because of Christian background as we get that story from Theravada. Also, what do you mean by "ethnic buddhists" in this context?

Leaving the question of Theravada aside, I looked at various definitions of "ethnic". Basically it is the root word for nationality and nation, from greek. Nowadays it is often used of minority nationalities within a state. For common people it has lost its original meaning, they don't see that they are also an ethnic group, they think that it means more or less "foreigners", which ofcourse is totally wrong. "Ethnic buddhist" is a similar to "ethnic lutheran" etc..., which I'm sure you will know. You don't have to live in another country to belong to an ethnic group.
svaha

Return to “Sūtra Studies”