Gelong Lodrö Sangpo Abhidharmakosa-bhasya

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
Nicholas Weeks

Gelong Lodrö Sangpo Abhidharmakosa-bhasya

Postby Nicholas Weeks » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:46 pm

The old Pruden English translation of Vasubandhu's commentary on his Abhidharmakosa I have seen. In 2012 another version by the Bhikshu from Gampo Abbey mentioned in the Subject came out.

Has anyone compared the two; is the Gelong's an improvement in little, some or great measure?

EDIT - Never mind, Ven. Huifeng has already given a thumbs up!

For those who are interested, Ven. Sangpo's recent reworked translation, in 4 vols, is worth checking out. I've just finished teaching an MA level Abhidharma course here at FGU, which included numerous readings in the Kosa-bhasya. At first I used Pruden's from de la Vallee Poussin, but in the end I found Ven. Sangpo's English far superior -- he managed to get the weird wording out and make much more sense vis-a-vis the Sanskrit and Chinese.

~~ Huifeng
Every time you recite Amita Buddha’s name, a ray of light shines through empty space. If you recite very sincerely, then this light fills up the universe, so that the energy of all worlds will be auspicious and harmonious.

Master Hsuan Hua

Return to “Sūtra Studies”