Nagarjuna's Vibhasa

Discuss and learn about the traditional scriptures.

Nagarjuna's Vibhasa

Postby Will » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:37 am

Nagarjuna bodhisattva only commented on one or two of the 10 Bodhisattva Grounds in this Ten Grounds Sutra (ch. 26).

Not that most cultivators could make use of any written teachings beyond ground one, but I wonder. Since I recall N. was only :smile: a First Ground bodhisattva, maybe that is why??
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Re: Nagarjuna's Vibhasa

Postby cdpatton » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:52 pm

Some mundane possibilities occur to me:

1. The text was intended to be an introduction to a Mahayana student. No need to go on.
2. The text was once larger, but only the beginning survived by the time Kumarajiva brought it to China. (Texts got lost back then too.)
3. The text was intended to be larger, but was never completed.
(4. I was talking beyond my knowledge of the text, so I deleted this one. Oops!)
cdpatton

Postby Will » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:27 pm

Have not read the entire text Charlie, maybe there is a clue within.

Anyway, here a bit from an early draft by Bhikshu Dharmamitra:

The bodhisattva possesses eight dharmas through which he is able to accumulate all forms of meritorious qualities:

The first is the great compassion.
The second is the solid mind.
The third is wisdom.
The fourth is skillful means.
The fifth is non-negligence.
The sixth is diligently applied vigor.
The seventh is the constant focusing of the mind.
The eighth is the good spiritual guide.

Knowing this, one who has only initially generated the [bodhi] resolve therefore swiftly takes up these eight dharmas, doing so with the same urgency as felt by one whose turban has caught on fire.
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Postby Leo Rivers » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:05 am

Maybe I'll live to see this? :woohoo:

By the way, the Ten Grouds sutra - he's doing 2 1/2 versions, right? (I think there will be one of those 2 versions both on BDK and that version also on his lable with full notes and table-settings. :coffee:

Whatver you get pass along please. Such bits are like trailers for NEXT summer's Blockbuster. A little Gossip is good too, a minor mischief to give one something to apply the 4 powers to. I'm just so amazed and glad he's well and working. :applause:
Leo Rivers

Postby cdpatton » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:29 pm

Leo Rivers wrote:

By the way, the Ten Grouds sutra - he's doing 2 1/2 versions, right? (I think there will be one of those 2 versions both on BDK and that version also on his lable with full notes and table-settings. :coffee:

Whatver you get pass along please. Such bits are like trailers for NEXT summer's Blockbuster. A little Gossip is good too, a minor mischief to give one something to apply the 4 powers to. I'm just so amazed and glad he's well and working. :applause:

I'll actually start being productive this summer. I solved some issues by going back to school. So I will shortly have a nice long four months to do whatever I want with. I've been plugging away at the Dazhidulun with Bodhiyana still (we're on fascicle 5 now) and I'm going to start translating other things on the side. This summer I'll probably spend putting together a translation of Kumarajiva's Aṣṭasāhasrikā, and re-releasing some of my old translations from the last time I was in college (18 years ago now! Wow!).

Charlie.
cdpatton

Postby Will » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:29 pm

cdpatton wrote:
Leo Rivers wrote:

I'll actually start being productive this summer. I solved some issues by going back to school. So I will shortly have a nice long four months to do whatever I want with. I've been plugging away at the Dazhidulun with Bodhiyana still (we're on fascicle 5 now) and I'm going to start translating other things on the side. This summer I'll probably spend putting together a translation of Kumarajiva's Aṣṭasāhasrikā, and re-releasing some of my old translations from the last time I was in college (18 years ago now! Wow!).

Charlie.

Good you are translating Dharma, but it would be nicer to have something that is not in English or French already. Granted Nagarjuna's Upadesha has never been completely done, but much of it has.
Will

Postby cdpatton » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:55 pm

Will wrote:
cdpatton wrote:I'll actually start being productive this summer. I solved some issues by going back to school. So I will shortly have a nice long four months to do whatever I want with. I've been plugging away at the Dazhidulun with Bodhiyana still (we're on fascicle 5 now) and I'm going to start translating other things on the side. This summer I'll probably spend putting together a translation of Kumarajiva's Aṣṭasāhasrikā, and re-releasing some of my old translations from the last time I was in college (18 years ago now! Wow!).

Charlie.

Good you are translating Dharma, but it would be nicer to have something that is not in English or French already. Granted Nagarjuna's Upadesha has never been completely done, but much of it has.

These things do take time, despite my own impatience. With the Upadesa work I'm doing, I'm getting to know Kumarajiva very well. I will probably stick to his works and begin working my way through all 48 of them--regardless of whether they've been translated before or not. Each text adds knowledge of the person I'm translating. The Aṣṭasāhasrikā project this summer is mainly a glossary building exercise--comparing Kumarajiva to the Sanskrit--but an English translation will result. Has an English translation of that text been done? All I know of is Conze's translation, which is from the Sanskrit. They are different in some ways--they aren't identical texts.

Charlie.
cdpatton

Postby Will » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:19 am

A tad more from Ven. Dharmamitra's early draft:

As the bodhisattva at the station of the first ground begins to gain the flavor of good dharmas, his mind delights in abundant joyfulness. It is on account of this that it is referred to as “the Ground of Joyfulness” (pramudita).

On the second ground, as one cultivates the path of the ten good karmic deeds, one leaves behind all forms of defilement. It is on account of this that it is referred to as “the Ground of Stainlessness” (vimala).

On the third ground, as one engages in vastly comprehensive learning and speaks Dharma for beings, one provides radiant illumination. It is on account of this that it is referred to as “the Ground of Shining Light” (prabhākara).
Will

Return to Sūtra Studies