The Sūtra on the Four Dharmas

Discuss and learn about the traditional scriptures.

The Sūtra on the Four Dharmas

Postby Konchog1 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:22 am

In the Indian Language: Ārya Chatu Dharma Nirdhesha Nāma Mahāyāna Sūtra

(ārya-catu[h]-dharma-nirdhesha-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra)

In the Tibetan Language: Phakpa Chhö Zhi Tenpa Zheyjawa Thekpachhenpo’i Do

(‘phags pa chos bzhi stan pa zhes bya ba theg pa chen po’i mdo)

In the English Language: The Mahāyāna Sūtra known as ‘The Exalted Teaching on the Four Dharmas’

(The Exalted Teaching on the Four Dharmas Mahāyāna Sūtra)

ADORATION TO ALL BUDDHAS AND BODHISATTVAS.

Thus have I heard: At one time, the Bhagavān was residing in the assembly place of gods known as ‘Excellent Dharma’ within the Heaven of the Thirty-Three Gods, in company with a great Saṅgha of a full five hundred fully-ordained monks, and an immensely great many Bodhisattva Mahāsattvas including Maitreya andMañjuśrī; and thereupon, the Bhagavān granted teaching to the Bodhisattva Mahāsattva, Maitreya:

“Maitreya, if a Bodhisattva Mahāsattva has four Dharmas, he or she will overcome harmful actions that have been perpetrated and accrued. What are these four? They are as follows:

1] The Power of Full Application of the Power of Strong Remorse

2] The Power of Full Application of the Antidote

3] The Power of Restoration

4] The Power of Support

“With reference to this, Full Application of Strong Remorse is much regret for having engaged in non-virtuous actions.

“With reference to this, the Full Application of the Antidote is strong vigorous diligence in virtuous actions immediately after having engaged in non-virtuous actions.

“With reference to this, the Power of Restoration is unbreakable restraint, by means of taking up vows authentically.

“With reference to this, the Power of Support is going for refuge in the Buddha, the Dharma, and the Saṅgha, and not giving up Bodhicitta, the Spirit of Awakening.

“And thus, when having such Powers, destructive power cannot prevail.

“Maitreya, if a Bodhisattva Mahāsattva has these Four Dharmas, he or she will overcome detrimental actions that have been perpetrated and accrued.

“Bodhisattva Mahāsattvas must always read this Sūtra, must recite it, must think about it, must meditate on it, and must practice it abundantly. Thus will the fruit of damaging conduct not be capable of emerging forth.”

The Bhagavān gave teaching with those expressions, and forthwith the Bodhisattva Mahāsattva Maitreya, those fully-ordained monks, those Bodhisattvas, the divine progeny such as Indra, and those wide-ranging assemblies rejoiced, and then deeply praised what had been spoken by the Bhagavān.

THE MAHĀYĀNA SŪTRA KNOWN AS ‘THE EXALTED TEACHING ON THE FOUR DHARMAS’ IS COMPLETE.

Translated from the Tibetan by Erick Tsiknopoulos. The translation was completed in late March-early April 2014, at McLeod Ganj, Dharamsala, India.

http://sugatagarbhatranslations.com/201 ... r-dharmas/

I like the presentation of something I already know.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Konchog1

Return to Sūtra Studies