China's Rules on Sutras

Discuss and learn about the traditional scriptures.

China's Rules on Sutras

Postby Will » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:00 pm

It is good that the Dharma texts are being allowed in China, but a shame that so much is tossed aside. Also, wonder what conditions the government puts on Dharma books?

http://btts.drba.org/btts-announcement-nov-2013.html
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Re: China's Rules on Sutras

Postby BrianG » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:00 am

I lived in Shanghai and Beijing for five years, in my experience, there really isn't much in the way of regulation of Dharma books, depending on how you look at it.

Dharma books which are in any way political could cause issues - e.g. Books referencing the Chinese occupation of Tibet, books showing a map of China with Tibet as separate country etc.

Anything else would be pretty much fair game. I've met Lama's who have had dozens of books published in the mainland.

It's worth noting that there tends to be a very large gap between what's regulated in China, and what's actually enforced. If for some reason a popular Dharma book was banned in China, people would just grab a Taiwanese or Hong Kong version off the gray market.
BrianG

Re: China's Rules on Sutras

Postby JKhedrup » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:43 am

Why not challenge the law rather than capitulate? It seems that Master Hua's books will be printed whether the government approves of them or not. Maybe the underground printing will reach more people.
In order to ensure my mind never comes under the power of the self-cherishing attitude,
I must obtain control over my own mind.
Therefore, amongst all empowerments, the empowerment that gives me control over my mind is the best,
and I have received the most profound empowerment with this teaching.
-Atisha Dipamkara
brtsal ba'i bkhra drin
JKhedrup

Return to Sūtra Studies