Kshitigarbha

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
MattyNottwo

Kshitigarbha

Post by MattyNottwo »

I apologize if it's already been posted, but which Sutra or Sutras mention Kishitigarbha, and or tell his story?

Thanks,
deff

Re: Kshitigarbha

Post by deff »

I think this is the main one: http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/ksitigarbha.pdf :smile:

...maybe there's other ones too?
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

In the East Asian tradition, there are three primary texts known as the Threefold Ksitigarbha Sutras. They are: Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva's Original Vows Sutra (by far the most popular text, often known simply as the Ksitigarbha Sutra), Mahayana Great Collection Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva Ten Wheels Sutra (also known as the Ksitigarbha Ten Wheels Sutra. There is another translation of this sutra in the Chinese canon, and this sutra is quoted by Lama Tsongkhapa in the Lamrim Chenmo under the name Ksitigarbha Sutra) and the Divining Karmic Retributions of Virtues and Evils Sutra. Other sutras focusing on Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva include the (Buddha Speaks the) Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva Dharani Sutra, Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva Ten Fasting Days Sutra, and Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva's Requesting the Dharmakaya Praise excerpted from the Hundred Thousand Verse Great Collection Sutra. He is also mentioned in passing in many other sutras.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

The felt presence of Kshitigarbha brang me to tears within the first few minutes of looking up if there was a Bodhisattva associated with the hell realms just yesterday and seeing his images.

For a long time the image of a light and beacon of hope and refuge for those within the deepest turbulent states has been pressing in my mind, out of focus or clarity.

This time last year my dreams and inner states began to manifest and attract the disturbances from the lower realms , both inwardly and outwardly. I had no framework to process the experiences other than my faint memory of reading the Tibetan yogas of dream and sleep along with my other western dream ,astral and shamanic journeys which lead to both the curiosity, extra sensory states but also the vulnerability that accompanies having no formal training , lamas,teachers,shamans or elders proficient with these things.

Earlier this year after a sudden re-interest in Buddhism and Dharma ,i heard an inner voice telling me i should practice Chod which has dramatically helped alter my perspectives to react with compassion and not with fear when these disturbances and encounters occur.

Machig Labdron and the Chod lineage and the new felt presence of Kshitigarbha has helped put things in to perspective.

Last night was a milestone for me in the way in which i handled some disturbance and i feel immensely greatful and relieved at the guidance and refuge i am being lead in to. The level of reverence i feel has increased innumerably and i am still in the process of trying to integrate things.

In all honesty, My ego mind is shaking in it's boots as it feels the level of responsibility has levelled up as my awareness of my own root afflictions increases.

I know this must be met through cultivating the perfections and skill-full means generated from all Lineages and dedicating any merit for the benefit of all sentient beings, past ,present,in future and in which ever form they /we take.

I do not yet know the exact formalities and ethics related to speaking about these things and the accustomed ways to show full respects so forgive me but i will begin to focus on this now so i can express it with more coherence when communicating.

With compassion.
Last edited by Vasana on Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoXSfQL4n7I

here you can watch the ksitigarbha sutra on anime form. if im right its the entire sutra.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
johninman

Post by johninman »

"The Past Vows of Earth Store Bhodhisattva",published from Tipitika Master Hua's publishing group/foundation,with or without His commentary has the most currency,here in the States,and at a glance looks in accord with the translation cited here,the names of the heavens where the Dharma assembly come from differ only in name only.This scripture is very popular in China and Vietnam.The teaching was given in Trayastrimsa heaven for Lady Maya and the host of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas,and the eight classes of beings in heaven and earth.It is read for the dead,within the first 49 days by the Ordained,usually with a feast for theThree Jewels & Ordained and those present.The Bodhisattva is famous for his "Great Vows'';rescuing beings from the hells.It is interesting that it says in the 12th chapter that Devas[gods] can be rescued from falling from their state if they dedicate their merits to the Dharma Realm and take refuge in Kshitigarba and the Three Jewels.I'm reading[aloud] this now for a person with cancer ,10 times,and when reading the 12th chapter think,if the devas have clairvoiance,they'll be benefited[I've always been told that they fall to the human or lower realm,and no hellp.Siksamananda,from Khotan[Hotan] Western China translated this Sutra into Chinese.Master Hua relates a story in his commentary about the kingdom of Kotan and how it's king,who received the favor of a miraculous born son had to feed the child on a''milk'' that came from a white rock,Khotan,I think refers to milk,and was a source of with jade.Correct me,someone bur the Dung Wah,of Khotan, caves yielded up many text concerning Kshitigarbha,dharanis connected to him and the same for others .He was most popular with them Many dharanis,and ''esoteric'' dharmas were expounded in the Heaven of the Thirty Three by the Lord Buddha.Even the Theravadins agree about the Lord going to this Heaven for the ''Rains Retreat"[to give the Abhidharma to His Mother]
bmunkres

Post by bmunkres »

I truly appreciate this discussion related to Ksitigarbha - I am well versed in the primary sutra, and clear about its content. I also have a great attraction to Ksitigarba's influence - and would love to read the "Ten Wheels" sutra in its entirety - does anyone have a reference?
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

http://www.cttbusa.org/esscommentary/ea ... ntents.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

There was a Buddha named Jewel Appearance. Any man or woman hearing this name who raises a deferential heart will soon earn the Arhanship fruit.

For those with great faith only. So if you don't believe don't slander. Why is this so? Bodhisattvas on their career make many countless vows to liberate sentients. That is is one of Jewel Appearance Buddha. I don't know his name in Sanskrit.
It’s eye blinking.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

That's only hearing name. Now reciting that Buddha name everyday would create even more merits.
It’s eye blinking.
bmunkres

Post by bmunkres »

Fortyeightvows wrote:http://www.cttbusa.org/esscommentary/ea ... ntents.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is this not The "Great Vow" sutra? I understand that the "Ten Wheels" is more a discourse on life, ways to look at life, etc. There is also another apocryphal sutra called the "Ten Kings" - this is a depiction of the stages of death, I am seeking the "Ten Wheels" sutra.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

I think this is what you are looking for:
http://www.cbeta.org/result/T13/T13n0410.htm
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

I think there may be parts of it translated in English to be found in the book 'making of a savior bodhisavta' I have heard it's an excellent book but haven't read it myself yet.
bmunkres

Post by bmunkres »

Thank you for sharing this, I am very grateful, looks like some good ready to do.
Taikor.Taikun

Post by Taikor.Taikun »

Does anyone have the link for Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva Ten Wheels Sutra in English?

Thanks
TJ101

Post by TJ101 »

This is the translation, i think, of the long mantra, taken from the Ten Wheel Sutra. They're his many names.

https://wisdomofcompassion.wixsite.com/ ... %A3itigarb
Last edited by TJ101 on Sun May 01, 2022 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Djampa

Post by Djampa »

Textual Bases for Devotion to Jizo

Most scholars believe that, like other buddhas and bodhisattvas, his origins are in India, although he did not become a popular Buddhist deity there. They assign Ksitigarbha as his Sanskrit name. Ksitigarbha, meaning “earth womb”, may predate Buddhism, they speculate. Only one of the major sutras to focus on Jizo is thought by scholars to be authentic, having originated in India. This is the Mahayana Ten Wheels of Jizo Sutra (J. Daijo daijitsu Jizo jurin kyo; hereafter referred to as the Ten Wheels Sutra), which appeared, at the earliest, in the fourth century. The theme of this sutra is Jizo’s necessity in a world where Sakyamuni no longer dwells and his successor, Maitreya, has yet to appear. The text explains that Jizo assists living beings in this buddha-less time of the five evils and five defilements. The sutra also lists the ten benefits that Jizo will bring to those who worship him, which are, for the most part, practical and this-wordly, such as sufficient food, clothing, and medicine.

But the most important reason to worship Jizo, according to the Ten Wheels Sutra, is that he will take care of believers after death. Rebirth in any of the six paths is undesirable, but this sutra emphasizes that Jizo specializes in saving sentient beings from hell, the worst rebirth of all. Moreover, Jizo’s appearance in the Ten Wheels Sutra is that of a monk. From this time onward, almost all texts described Jizo as looking like a monk rather than an ordinary bodhisattva.

William S. Horton
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Djampa wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:25 pm Only one of the major sutras to focus on Jizo is thought by scholars to be authentic, having originated in India.
Why do you think that only sutras that originate in India can be "authentic"?
genkaku.linrx

Post by genkaku.linrx »

Thank you everybody for this enlightening discussion. I revere Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva very much and I enjoy reading scriptures about Him. Thank you for sharing selflessly.

Cheers.

[Mod note: This thread started in 2013. Please start a new thread with a quote from this thread, if you want to continue this old discussion.]

Return to “Sūtra Studies”