Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 5986
Location: Taiwan
I found this little site with the whole thing neatly formatted line by line with the Sanskrit (roman and not devanagari!), Paramartha and Xuanzang's translations.

Line by line too!

http://www.mldc.cn/sanskritweb/etext.htm

If the text is all mangled, try using an alternate browser. Firefox couldn't read it, but IE could.

I also saved the whole thing to disk.

Trying to decipher aged old pages of tiny printed Devanagari which all blurs together or is faded in parts is half the battle of my Sanskrit class! This romanized version is like a gift from a Bodhisattva. :reading: :smile: :namaste:

_________________
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog) Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog) Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog) Dharma Depository (Site)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:51 am
Posts: 1471
Thanks for this. Actually, I knew this site a while back, but forgot about it. I'm not just about to convert those 9 htmls into a nice fat PDF document. hehe.

_________________
My Prajñācāra Blog
Buddhist Studies at Fo Guang University, Taiwan


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 5986
Location: Taiwan
Huifeng wrote:
Thanks for this. Actually, I knew this site a while back, but forgot about it. I'm not just about to convert those 9 htmls into a nice fat PDF document. hehe.


Besides maybe you, me and Astus, I don't imagine anyone else here can make much use of it, but then who knows maybe others will too.

Like I said, 'tis a Bodhisattva-sent thing it is. Trying to decipher poorly printed devanagari (in an older font too!) is painful. Half the battle of my course would have been decoding the photocopy of the devanagari.

Having Paramartha's and Xuanzang's translations as well as Poussin's will also make going through the Sanskrit easier.

It is also interesting to compare Xuanzang's choice of vocabulary against the original Sanskrit. This is something I might eventually devote much time and research to in the distant future.

/end dharma geekiness

_________________
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog) Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog) Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog) Dharma Depository (Site)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:51 am
Posts: 1471
Huseng wrote:

It is also interesting to compare Xuanzang's choice of vocabulary against the original Sanskrit.


It may help to get out of the habit of thinking of the Sanskrit as "the original". It is quite possible that both Paramartha's and Xuanzang's versions were older than the Sanskrit manuscripts we have in the present day and age. As for Xuanzang's vocab, it is pretty standard. Much can be learnt from his translations, which, through his choice of terminology in Chinese, can in a sense act as a commentary of sorts.

_________________
My Prajñācāra Blog
Buddhist Studies at Fo Guang University, Taiwan


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 5986
Location: Taiwan
Huifeng wrote:
Huseng wrote:

It is also interesting to compare Xuanzang's choice of vocabulary against the original Sanskrit.


It may help to get out of the habit of thinking of the Sanskrit as "the original". It is quite possible that both Paramartha's and Xuanzang's versions were older than the Sanskrit manuscripts we have in the present day and age. As for Xuanzang's vocab, it is pretty standard. Much can be learnt from his translations, which, through his choice of terminology in Chinese, can in a sense act as a commentary of sorts.


It is also possible they were not even translating Sanskrit.

Well, in the case of Xuanzang I think it is probably Sanskrit he was working with, but Paramartha might have been translating a Prakrit.

That I'm sure would be a worthy study to be undertaken if it already hasn't been. :thinking:

_________________
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog) Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog) Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog) Dharma Depository (Site)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group