YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Enneagram - Dhamma Wheel

Enneagram

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

What's Your Enneatype?

1 The Reformer
No votes
2 The Helper
No votes
3 The Achiever
No votes
4 The Individualist
No votes
5 The Investigator
56%
6 The Loyalist
No votes
7 The Enthusiast
11%
8 The Challenger
11%
9 The Peacemaker
22%

Total votes: 9

dhamma_newb

Enneagram

Postby dhamma_newb » Thu May 17, 2012 4:04 pm

Hi DW,

I know many of you here have taken the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) but have you ever taken an test and found out your ?

I've taken the test a couple of times through the years and I've gotten different results (it's either Type 4 or Type 9). Here are some free online tests if you would like to find out what your Enneatype is:

:)

I am an INFP so in my case it was accurate.
The watched mind brings happiness.
Dhp 36

I am larger and better than I thought. I did not know I held so much goodness.
Walt Whitman

daverupa

Re: Enneagram

Postby daverupa » Thu May 17, 2012 5:52 pm

I tend to view this sort of thing as inappropriate attention, but I understand many get a charge from self-defining. I certainly did, once upon a time, but I have yet to see it not ultimately coagulate into sakkaya-ditthi.

Justsit

Postby Justsit » Thu May 17, 2012 6:18 pm

Proliferation of concepts just adds another layer of delusion. It only reifies "me" and "I."
Why bother? :shrug:

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Thu May 17, 2012 6:40 pm

Jesus! It's just a relaxed topic!
He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Thu May 17, 2012 6:41 pm

Looks like two-nil to the challengers based on the replies so far. :stirthepot:

I guess there must be some reason why the Arahants preserved the Puggalapaññatti.

Psychological testing obviously has some value, if its done well. I am very slowly learning that on forums there are different ways needed to help different people. Its largely guesswork, but after a long time one can assess what kind of response is likely to be helpful, and what is not.
• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Thu May 17, 2012 7:12 pm

Typologies are silly.
:heart:

dhamma_newb

Postby dhamma_newb » Thu May 17, 2012 7:15 pm

Dhp 36

Walt Whitman

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Thu May 17, 2012 7:40 pm

Travis

Postby Travis » Thu May 17, 2012 8:04 pm

All the personality-typing things do is help to show you your habitual tendencies. It is a line of inquiry that some might find useful in untangling the knot of self, some may not. Do you guys not see the irony in interjecting yourselves into a Lounge topic to scold someone about their inappropriate sense of self?

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Thu May 17, 2012 8:18 pm

Justsit

Postby Justsit » Thu May 17, 2012 8:26 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Thu May 17, 2012 9:37 pm

The is the fourth book of the Abhidhamma.

Just as a doctor would find it useful to know a person's blood group, body mass, age, ethnicity, or other characteristics before treating him/her, a skilled Dhamma teacher like the Buddha or Mahākassapa would be able to tailor his teaching to suit the individual. A lustful person might benefit from meditation on repulsiveness, while an angry person would be better to use loving-kindness to develop concentration.

As for ordinary teachers, we just have to make an educated guess, and try again if the first method doesn't work. If nothing works, we have to let go, move on, and hope that someone else can help that individual.

Ajahn Chah was once asked by his Thai disciples how he could train Westerners since he could not speak English. He replied, "I don't speak buffalo either, but I know how to train buffaloes." He would just observe them carefully, and see what they did and how they responded to different situations.
• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Thu May 17, 2012 9:53 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

polarbear101

Postby polarbear101 » Thu May 17, 2012 10:13 pm

I tied supposedly for 5) investigator and 7) enthusiast but the questions didn't have enough options so I just kinda guessed for some questions which one was dominant. They should really have more than 2 choices, then it would be more realistic. It was still kind of neat though and I'm glad the computer tells me I'm an investigator cause my major's philosophy, if I had turned out to be a perfectionist I might have had to switch to an engineering major :rofl:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

dhamma_newb

Postby dhamma_newb » Fri May 18, 2012 10:09 am

Dhp 36

Walt Whitman

reflection

Postby reflection » Fri May 18, 2012 12:25 pm

Your highest score was a tie between Type 3, Type 4, Type 6, Type 7, and Type 9.

Well, so far for personality labels :tongue:

Return to “Lounge”