YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Religion Textbook with bad Dhammapada translation - Dhamma Wheel

Religion Textbook with bad Dhammapada translation

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
meindzai

Religion Textbook with bad Dhammapada translation

Postby meindzai » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:12 pm

Hi folks. Haven't been posting much, as I've been very busy, back at school and being married. :)

I'm taking a world religions class. We have our Buddhism chapter now. I'm mostly keeping my mouth shut. I understand it is an introduction for most of these kids and not an in-depth Buddhism class. But my textbook includes the crappy woo-woo translation of the Dhammapada that you can largely find unattributed on the internet, but I believe belongs to Thomas Byrom "We are what we think, all that we are arises with our thoughts - with our thoughts we make the world."

To make it worse, the textbook does not even source the translation, leaving me to believe the author (Michael Molloy) might have even gotten it from the internet. His chapters on Buddhism and Hinduism (http://ewhighered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites ... uthor.html) do seem a bit romanticized. The non-sourcing strikes me as a bit irresponsible. (It's cited simply as "The Dhammapada" - no translator, date, publisher etc.) Do you think I have a responsibility to bring this up?

-M

meindzai

Re: Religion Textbook with bad Dhammapada translation

Postby meindzai » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:21 pm

For those of you who might wonder why I'm even bringing it up, here's a previous post on this topic: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1844

I think I'm going to at least send the professor an e-mail.

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:00 am

I think that's worth trying. You may at least prompt some class discussion of reliability of sources and best places to go for further information. Depends a lot on just how basic the course is, though. If the starting point is, "Hey, guys, you know there are some people who aren't even Christian!" then I wouldn't hope for too much. :rolleye:

Good luck,
Kim

P.S. Having clicked on your link *after* posting (logical? systematic? me??) I think you're likely to be absolutely right to be suspicious of Molloy. Aldous Huxley an authority on Asian religion??? Molloy's whole approach seems to be Christianity plus flaky new-agey inclusiveness.
- Kim

meindzai

Postby meindzai » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:55 pm

Yes, it's all the kind of thing I would expect from a popular books on world religions - even a popular book on Buddhism. I don't expect much from either, so am typically not disappointed. But a college textbook would (I think) need to stand up to a bit more scrutiny, and it doesn't.

No reply yet, but I have the class tonight. We'll see if the Professor brings it up or puts me on the spot. :)

-M

alan

Postby alan » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:04 am

Stand up for what is right, M. It's your duty as a Buddhist.

karuna_murti

Postby karuna_murti » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:09 pm

As a general rule of thumb, almost all DHP translation from a person called Thomas is a bad Translation.

meindzai

Postby meindzai » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:41 pm

I'd like to hear opinions on the Eknath Easwaran translation if anybody has read it. It is apparently much acclaimed, and the favored translation by the Buddhist scholars at my school. (Apparently we have them. I have not met them.)

Here is a sample first verse, which is troubling becuase it looks a bit like Byrom's. However, it does not contain the rather troubling phrase (from a Theravada perspective) "with our thoughts we make the world."

All that we are is the result of what we have thought: we are formed and molded by our thoughts. Those whose minds are shaped by selfish thoughts cause misery when they speak or act. Sorrows roll over them as the wheels of a cart roll over the tracks of the bullock that draws it.

-M

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:46 pm

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”