becoming a wandering yogi?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Kris

becoming a wandering yogi?

Post by Kris »

well i have come to poin in my life that i just need to leave society for awhile, im not some paid cat whos trying to escape from responsibilities. i'm actually pretty much homeless as it is.i have read the stories of master going out to the forest, cremation grounds,hills,mountins,caves etc. and i figured why not :shrug: i have felt this way since age 7 im now 23 years old and still hant to give it a shot, i dont want to be homeless forever though, just to get enough time to travel and meet dharm techers. i cant afford the retreats now as i said im pretty much homeless.so i figured i would leave my situation,travel and find dharma teachers, beg beg beg for them to teach me, maybe volunteer some places offer services like cooking cleaning etc.
anyway is this already going on? whos doing it? where are the homeless traveling american yogis?
this is not a dream i will be leaving the first of next year...
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Wesley1982

Re: becoming a wandering yogi?

Post by Wesley1982 »

I think they (wandering yogis) originated in Indian society ... if that's your goal - go for it.
Kris

Post by Kris »

Wesley1982 wrote:I think they (wandering yogis) originated in Indian society ... if that's your goal - go for it.
well since the age of 13 i have been apart of the traditional bengali vaishnavism(not iskcon) and being a wandering devotional yogi or bhakti yogi was held in highest esteem.im not saying siddhas have to be wandering yogis or they cant become siddha in the midst of society, i just feel more connected to this idea of the wandering yogi, of course after direct introduction and my practices start to develop..ill leave the homeless shelter.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

RikudouSennin wrote:well i have come to poin in my life that i just need to leave society for awhile, im not some paid cat whos trying to escape from responsibilities. i'm actually pretty much homeless as it is.i have read the stories of master going out to the forest, cremation grounds,hills,mountins,caves etc. and i figured why not :shrug: i have felt this way since age 7 im now 23 years old and still hant to give it a shot, i dont want to be homeless forever though, just to get enough time to travel and meet dharm techers. i cant afford the retreats now as i said im pretty much homeless.so i figured i would leave my situation,travel and find dharma teachers, beg beg beg for them to teach me, maybe volunteer some places offer services like cooking cleaning etc.
anyway is this already going on? whos doing it? where are the homeless traveling american yogis?
Depending on your interests, I would contact some monasteries and teachers and set up some meetings and events.

In the meantime, see how you respond to solitude and then you can plan some solitary sessions if you are suited to that sort of activity.

With India, you may need some sort of invitation if you plan to stay longer than a tourist visa allows.
Left
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

I think you get can get Mala beads put in your sandals for good luck on your wandering path.
Kris

Post by Kris »

Blue Garuda wrote:
RikudouSennin wrote:well i have come to poin in my life that i just need to leave society for awhile, im not some paid cat whos trying to escape from responsibilities. i'm actually pretty much homeless as it is.i have read the stories of master going out to the forest, cremation grounds,hills,mountins,caves etc. and i figured why not :shrug: i have felt this way since age 7 im now 23 years old and still hant to give it a shot, i dont want to be homeless forever though, just to get enough time to travel and meet dharm techers. i cant afford the retreats now as i said im pretty much homeless.so i figured i would leave my situation,travel and find dharma teachers, beg beg beg for them to teach me, maybe volunteer some places offer services like cooking cleaning etc.
Depending on your interests, I would contact some monasteries and teachers and set up some meetings and events.

In the meantime, see how you respond to solitude and then you can plan some solitary sessions if you are suited to that sort of activity.

With India, you may need some sort of invitation if you plan to stay longer than a tourist visa allows.
yes that sounds wonderful, much better than my plan to just show up...
I need to at least have some connections.
def couldnt afford going to india any time soon :smile:
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Kris

Post by Kris »

Wesley1982 wrote:I think you get can get Mala beads put in your sandals for good luck on your wandering path.
ill probably create my own, never heard of this whered this info from?
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

My Guru is wandering as a Yogi in the Himalayas for the next few years....not easy I guess...took only the clothes on his back and no possessions, not even his glasses!
s.
philji

Post by philji »

Stewart....are you referring to Mingyur Rinpoche? He is my teacher too.
Kris

question

Post by Kris »

can you be a vajrayana practicioner at bhavana society?

what i mean is could you go the the bhava society for retreat,learn from the monks,participate,study scripture etc but in your personal time practice your vajrayana/dzogchen/mahamudra etc. practices?

:shrug: :shrug: just found out about bhavana society seems like a good start for me :shrug: :shrug:
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

philji wrote:Stewart....are you referring to Mingyur Rinpoche? He is my teacher too.
Phil, it's samdrup :) how are you?
s.
SSJ3Gogeta

Post by SSJ3Gogeta »

BEFORE you become a wandering yogi, you need to receive as much teachings as you can, especially Dzogchen.

Then you put those into practice when "wandering".
Kris

Post by Kris »

SSJ3Gogeta wrote:BEFORE you become a wandering yogi, you need to receive as much teachings as you can, especially Dzogchen.

Then you put those into practice when "wandering".
I think you told me in another post the bare minimum practices to be learned in dzogchen?
can you remind me agian?
an i just use those on my wanderings, and take along some books. more doesnt always mean better right.
i dont plan to "wander" for the rest of my life, but who knows i "wonder". :D
of course ill attend web retreats if available
but i must...........
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

I have a vague feeling, originating from I know not whence, that this may not be an idea of utmost advisability.
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
CrawfordHollow

Post by CrawfordHollow »

Where are you? I had a work study situation set up in the southern Appalachians and my circumstances changed. It is a Karma Kagyu dharma center that recently was donated some land on national forest and they need help building retreat cabins. I don't know if this fits your interests or needs but maybe it could be a stop along the way. They wanted me to come in October and stay for a good amount of time. It is under the direction a Lama Norlha Rinpoche, a wonderful teacher so I am sure that there will be plenty of opportunity for teachings and practice.

As far as being a wandering yogi, I would suggest that you don't get too romantic about the idea. I can relate to whatever dissapointments or grudges you may have with our sociey, but this is not ancient India. One thing that ChNN teaches during every retreat is that we should work with our circumstances. If you are serious about practicing dzogchen, then you don't have to change or renounce anything. All that you need to discover is already what you are. While it may sound good, those sadhus that you read about were highly realized practitioners living in a different time. As you say you are young, so it would be a shame for you to waste those years chasing a fantasy when you could be spending that time becoming realized. I don't intend to criticize or persuade you in any way, but maybe offer a dose of reality. I think trying to make your life into something its not by becoming a "wandering yogi" could just create more problems for you. Realization comes from turning the looking glass inward anyway, not by changing outward circumstances.

Anyway, if you are interested in the work study PM me.
All the best,
Troy
SSJ3Gogeta

Post by SSJ3Gogeta »

RikudouSennin wrote: I think you told me in another post the bare minimum practices to be learned in dzogchen?
can you remind me agian?.

The bare minimum Dzogchen practices are:

direct introduction
rushan
trekcho
Song of the Vajra
Chulen of Space
lhungrub visions
Kris

Post by Kris »

Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:I have a vague feeling, originating from I know not whence, that this may not be an idea of utmost advisability.
which idea?
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
CrawfordHollow

Post by CrawfordHollow »

Also,
There are no "bare minimum" practices to be learned in Dzogchen. Its not that you get DI once, and then you become a realized Dzogchenpa. You need to become familiar with the Natural State by becoming introduced to it again and again, while at the same time purifying your karma and yes, working with your circumstance. I think you will be missing out on much if you plan on getting DI and then throwing the world away on your wandering yogi trip. Dzogchen is not a lifestyle, its not like your going on tour with the Dead or anything. Maybe it would be wise to put more stability in your life. That way your practice can be grounded with a strong foundation. I mean, how is it going to help your practice if you just end up on the street or in jail. I am sorry if I sound condescending, but like I said this is not ancient India where the homeless yogi had ample support and respect from society. Its just not like that anymore. If your serious about dzogchen, your lifestlye should support practice. And believe me, I've been homeless, I've wandered and bummed my way all across the country and back many times, and I don't see how that lifestyle can be of any support to your practice or realization. OK, thats enough from me. I am speaking from experience, though. Plant some roots, get grounded, get a teacher, and practice as much as possible.

Troy
Kris

Post by Kris »

CrawfordHollow wrote:Where are you? I had a work study situation set up in the southern Appalachians and my circumstances changed. It is a Karma Kagyu dharma center that recently was donated some land on national forest and they need help building retreat cabins. I don't know if this fits your interests or needs but maybe it could be a stop along the way. They wanted me to come in October and stay for a good amount of time. It is under the direction a Lama Norlha Rinpoche, a wonderful teacher so I am sure that there will be plenty of opportunity for teachings and practice.

As far as being a wandering yogi, I would suggest that you don't get too romantic about the idea. I can relate to whatever dissapointments or grudges you may have with our sociey, but this is not ancient India. One thing that ChNN teaches during every retreat is that we should work with our circumstances. If you are serious about practicing dzogchen, then you don't have to change or renounce anything. All that you need to discover is already what you are. While it may sound good, those sadhus that you read about were highly realized practitioners living in a different time. As you say you are young, so it would be a shame for you to waste those years chasing a fantasy when you could be spending that time becoming realized. I don't intend to criticize or persuade you in any way, but maybe offer a dose of reality. I think trying to make your life into something its not by becoming a "wandering yogi" could just create more problems for you. Realization comes from turning the looking glass inward anyway, not by changing outward circumstances.

Anyway, if you are interested in the work study PM me.
All the best,
Troy
I see where your getting at, i have no defense.
i know its not ancient india, i only wanted to give it a shot but definetly dont want to chase a fantasy even the phrase :quoteunquote: wandering yogi sounds childish. :jumping:

medicine dose well received.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

SSJ3Gogeta wrote:
RikudouSennin wrote: I think you told me in another post the bare minimum practices to be learned in dzogchen?
can you remind me agian?.

The bare minimum Dzogchen practices are:

direct introduction
rushan
trekcho
Song of the Vajra
Chulen of Space
lhungrub visions
......According to your teacher. Others may have different opinions. Not that I'm knocking your teacher's opinions--but you must realize they are one POV.

Sorry for the interruption.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”