becoming a wandering yogi?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Kris

Re: becoming a wandering yogi?

Post by Kris »

CrawfordHollow wrote:Also,
There are no "bare minimum" practices to be learned in Dzogchen. Its not that you get DI once, and then you become a realized Dzogchenpa. You need to become familiar with the Natural State by becoming introduced to it again and again, while at the same time purifying your karma and yes, working with your circumstance. I think you will be missing out on much if you plan on getting DI and then throwing the world away on your wandering yogi trip. Dzogchen is not a lifestyle, its not like your going on tour with the Dead or anything. Maybe it would be wise to put more stability in your life. That way your practice can be grounded with a strong foundation. I mean, how is it going to help your practice if you just end up on the street or in jail. I am sorry if I sound condescending, but like I said this is not ancient India where the homeless yogi had ample support and respect from society. Its just not like that anymore. If your serious about dzogchen, your lifestlye should support practice. And believe me, I've been homeless, I've wandered and bummed my way all across the country and back many times, and I don't see how that lifestyle can be of any support to your practice or realization. OK, thats enough from me. I am speaking from experience, though. Plant some roots, get grounded, get a teacher, and practice as much as possible.

Troy
:good: :applause:
I guess just some peronal retreats into the park will be better than what i planned to do, see if no-one would have said nothing iin a few months i would have just left.
:heart:
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

RikudouSennin wrote:well i have come to poin in my life that i just need to leave society for awhile, im not some paid cat whos trying to escape from responsibilities. i'm actually pretty much homeless as it is.i have read the stories of master going out to the forest, cremation grounds,hills,mountins,caves etc. and i figured why not :shrug: i have felt this way since age 7 im now 23 years old and still hant to give it a shot, i dont want to be homeless forever though, just to get enough time to travel and meet dharm techers. i cant afford the retreats now as i said im pretty much homeless.so i figured i would leave my situation,travel and find dharma teachers, beg beg beg for them to teach me, maybe volunteer some places offer services like cooking cleaning etc.
anyway is this already going on? whos doing it? where are the homeless traveling american yogis?
this is not a dream i will be leaving the first of next year...
Well, if it's what you're already doing plus Dharma then go for it. Good luck.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Kris

Post by Kris »

Konchog1 wrote:
RikudouSennin wrote:well i have come to poin in my life that i just need to leave society for awhile, im not some paid cat whos trying to escape from responsibilities. i'm actually pretty much homeless as it is.i have read the stories of master going out to the forest, cremation grounds,hills,mountins,caves etc. and i figured why not :shrug: i have felt this way since age 7 im now 23 years old and still hant to give it a shot, i dont want to be homeless forever though, just to get enough time to travel and meet dharm techers. i cant afford the retreats now as i said im pretty much homeless.so i figured i would leave my situation,travel and find dharma teachers, beg beg beg for them to teach me, maybe volunteer some places offer services like cooking cleaning etc.
anyway is this already going on? whos doing it? where are the homeless traveling american yogis?
this is not a dream i will be leaving the first of next year...
Well, if it's what you're already doing plus Dharma then go for it. Good luck.
:namaste:
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Here in the States -- there are always young people who work for a few months at a rural dharma center, then move on to the next, and so on, exploring Dharma in America. I would talk to Tara Mandala, Padmasambhava Peace Center, Pema Osel Ling, etc. as your interests dictate. I think it makes sense to go places where you can get food in your belly and a place to come in from the rain. Being cold and hungry and in need of medical care just sucks, and is probably not that conducive to practice for the vast majority of people. In Buddhist societies, people made offerings to wandering mendicants, that is probably not true here.

There are various kinds of wandering practice that can be given to one by an authentic teacher. Maybe it would be good to check out your plans with one you trust.
CrawfordHollow

Post by CrawfordHollow »

If your serious about the work study let me know. Its in the Smokey Mountains of Tenn. I was also offered a position in VT earlier this year so there are many options. I think a work study at a dharma center could be a great way to get out of the grind and connect with the dharma for a little while. I just think its good not to rush into things blindly. Many times when we do it is based on infatuation. When I first encountered the Dharma I wanted nothing more than to become a monk. I ended up taking genyen vows two weeks after I took refuge. These were life long vows that should have been approached with a great deal of respect and forethought. Its a long story but in the end if hurt my practice because I was not able to keep them. You see, I now would have been so much farther down the path if I had just taken things slowly and let things progress at a natural pace. I know that we have different situations, but I would hate to see you do something rash when you are so new to the path (Forgive me for assuming that you are). If dzogchen is your path then there are many teachers. Again, where are you? People here can help you connect with teachers and centers. Sorry to sound like such a pill, believe me I am not one to lecture. It is just that you remind me of me ten years ago, and if I can help you avoid some of the mistakes that I made...
Kris

Post by Kris »

Yudron wrote:Here in the States -- there are always young people who work for a few months at a rural dharma center, then move on to the next, and so on, exploring Dharma in America. I would talk to Tara Mandala, Padmasambhava Peace Center, Pema Osel Ling, etc. as your interests dictate. I think it makes sense to go places where you can get food in your belly and a place to come in from the rain. Being cold and hungry and in need of medical care just sucks, and is probably not that conducive to practice for the vast majority of people. In Buddhist societies, people made offerings to wandering mendicants, that is probably not true here.

There are various kinds of wandering practice that can be given to one by an authentic teacher. Maybe it would be good to check out your plans with one you trust.
I like your idea as well :namaste:
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Kris

Post by Kris »

CrawfordHollow wrote:If your serious about the work study let me know. Its in the Smokey Mountains of Tenn. I was also offered a position in VT earlier this year so there are many options. I think a work study at a dharma center could be a great way to get out of the grind and connect with the dharma for a little while. I just think its good not to rush into things blindly. Many times when we do it is based on infatuation. When I first encountered the Dharma I wanted nothing more than to become a monk. I ended up taking genyen vows two weeks after I took refuge. These were life long vows that should have been approached with a great deal of respect and forethought. Its a long story but in the end if hurt my practice because I was not able to keep them. You see, I now would have been so much farther down the path if I had just taken things slowly and let things progress at a natural pace. I know that we have different situations, but I would hate to see you do something rash when you are so new to the path (Forgive me for assuming that you are). If dzogchen is your path then there are many teachers. Again, where are you? People here can help you connect with teachers and centers. Sorry to sound like such a pill, believe me I am not one to lecture. It is just that you remind me of me ten years ago, and if I can help you avoid some of the mistakes that I made...
sent u a pm, did u get?
here in Atl Georgia
I agree with work study at dharma centers, honestly idk that was an option.
there is alot i have to learn.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

The south is not a rich is residential centers as the north and the coasts, but there is also http://lotusgardens.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in Virginia.

Some centers are seasonal, some operate year round.

Virtually all of them need good young people to help at some point in the year.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

RikudouSennin wrote:
Wesley1982 wrote:I think you get can get Mala beads put in your sandals for good luck on your wandering path.
ill probably create my own, never heard of this whered this info from?
Just got that idea of knotting your sandals with mala beads from Dharmshop.com...
Kris

Post by Kris »

Yudron wrote:The south is not a rich is residential centers as the north and the coasts, but there is also http://lotusgardens.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in Virginia.

Some centers are seasonal, some operate year round.

Virtually all of them need good young people to help at some point in the year.
How do i let them know im interested?
just email them and let them know my situation, and how serious I am?

:namaste:
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
CrawfordHollow

Post by CrawfordHollow »

I just PM'd you the info for the center in Tenn. Your timing is right, the resident teacher just e-mailed me today about going there, so I am sure you can work something out. Yudron is right, there aren't that many centers in the south. I sent you some information on the Garchen Institute in Arizona. There are many other centers in Colorado, California, and Oregon that would probably take you. Just e-mail them.

Since you seem to be interested in Dzogchen, I would highly recommend watching the next webcast, its an open webcast and I think it starts next week. During the last days of the retreat ChNN always transmits a number of lungs for secondary practices. These lungs are actual transmissions of mantras that you can recieve as long as you tune in live. The first one that he always gives is the practice of Green Tara. I think that this practice would bring you much benifit in your situation. It will help to open up these doors. Her mantra can aid you in overcoming obstacles and will bring you much benefit and success. There are many other transmissions such as Tun and Ganapuja that you can recieve that will be of help. And of course ChNN always gives some kind of pointing out or direct introduction.

I am glad we connected. I don't post much here, so it was nice to have this communication. Let me know how things turn out.

All the best,
Troy
Kris

Post by Kris »

CrawfordHollow wrote:I just PM'd you the info for the center in Tenn. Your timing is right, the resident teacher just e-mailed me today about going there, so I am sure you can work something out. Yudron is right, there aren't that many centers in the south. I sent you some information on the Garchen Institute in Arizona. There are many other centers in Colorado, California, and Oregon that would probably take you. Just e-mail them.

Since you seem to be interested in Dzogchen, I would highly recommend watching the next webcast, its an open webcast and I think it starts next week. During the last days of the retreat ChNN always transmits a number of lungs for secondary practices. These lungs are actual transmissions of mantras that you can recieve as long as you tune in live. The first one that he always gives is the practice of Green Tara. I think that this practice would bring you much benifit in your situation. It will help to open up these doors. Her mantra can aid you in overcoming obstacles and will bring you much benefit and success. There are many other transmissions such as Tun and Ganapuja that you can recieve that will be of help. And of course ChNN always gives some kind of pointing out or direct introduction.

I am glad we connected. I don't post much here, so it was nice to have this communication. Let me know how things turn out.

All the best,
Troy
I agree Troy
the timing is uncanny.......... :stirthepot:
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Kris

Post by Kris »

CrawfordHollow wrote:I just PM'd you the info for the center in Tenn. Your timing is right, the resident teacher just e-mailed me today about going there, so I am sure you can work something out. Yudron is right, there aren't that many centers in the south. I sent you some information on the Garchen Institute in Arizona. There are many other centers in Colorado, California, and Oregon that would probably take you. Just e-mail them.

All the best,
Troy
I have heard many wonders for the Green Tara practice :twothumbsup:
cant wait unil next week. :jumping:
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Jyoti

Post by Jyoti »

RikudouSennin, looking at your age and economic situation, I would recommend you find a part time job while continue your academic study. You will regret when you are older and find yourself without any qualification needed to work in society. Forget about retreat or dzogchen (for a while) since these are beyond your means, if you are serious about dharma, the scriptures are free at any buddhist libraries (this is where I have used to study to gain the knowledge of dharma).
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

How can you say that Dzogchen is beyond his means?

Discouraging someone like this is not a very good thing to do.
Kris

Post by Kris »

Jyoti wrote:RikudouSennin, looking at your age and economic situation, I would recommend you find a part time job while continue your academic study. You will regret when you are older and find yourself without any qualification needed to work in society. Forget about retreat or dzogchen (for a while) since these are beyond your means, if you are serious about dharma, the scriptures are free at any buddhist libraries (this is where I have used to study to gain the knowledge of dharma).
I agree im in serious need of a job i have been unemployed since last year and things are hard.
I also agree about my academic, i am no means a idiot just didnt get that much life coaching as a adolescent, was told to take things a day at a time, i should have invested more time in my academic.i graduated though.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Kris

Post by Kris »

Norwegian wrote:How can you say that Dzogchen is beyond his means?

Discouraging someone like this is not a very good thing to do.
definetly not discouraged, but i feel where your coming from
its all good :twothumbsup:
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
CrawfordHollow

Post by CrawfordHollow »

I am sure that RikudouSennin has plenty of qualifications to work in society. I am pretty sure that you don't need to fit into a certain economic bracket to realize your Natural State, so saying that Dzogchen is beyond his means is absurd. Higher education is not always the best choice for everybody, he just needs to find a healthy balance in his life so his practice can have a foundation. Also studying the scriptures to gain knowledge of the Dharma is also not always the best path for people either. I agree that he needs to be able to support himself, but if he can find a good situation in a work-study environment then what is wrong with that? Suggesting that someone postpone their practice is hardly advice at all. There is nothing more important than practice (which is what I should be doing right now).

Is the employment situation that bad down there? It definately wouldn't hurt your cause to save up a little cash. Do you have a car? If you can get in I think the Garchen Institute would be perfect for you. I believe on their website they even post rideshare opportunities. You just need to make a plan that makes sense and then do whatever it takes to make that plan happen. I've got a few more ideas that I'll keep sending you.

Troy
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

RikudouSennin wrote:

All the best,
Troy
I have heard many wonders for the Green Tara practice :twothumbsup:
cant wait unil next week. :jumping:
http://resources.tsemtulku.com/prayers/ ... lible.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Kris

Post by Kris »

CrawfordHollow wrote:I am sure that RikudouSennin has plenty of qualifications to work in society. I am pretty sure that you don't need to fit into a certain economic bracket to realize your Natural State, so saying that Dzogchen is beyond his means is absurd. Higher education is not always the best choice for everybody, he just needs to find a healthy balance in his life so his practice can have a foundation. Also studying the scriptures to gain knowledge of the Dharma is also not always the best path for people either. I agree that he needs to be able to support himself, but if he can find a good situation in a work-study environment then what is wrong with that? Suggesting that someone postpone their practice is hardly advice at all. There is nothing more important than practice (which is what I should be doing right now).

Is the employment situation that bad down there? It definately wouldn't hurt your cause to save up a little cash. Do you have a car? If you can get in I think the Garchen Institute would be perfect for you. I believe on their website they even post rideshare opportunities. You just need to make a plan that makes sense and then do whatever it takes to make that plan happen. I've got a few more ideas that I'll keep sending you.

Troy
It's bad but could always be worst, I cant find a job and have been of 5 interviews this year, mostly for jobs beyond my current skill level but i feel i could have nailed them,just didnt nail the interview. i put in around 30-35 application this weel alone, so will see hopefully soon.
no car....it sucks, just public transportation.
sometimes i fell like :toilet:
but i knw things will turn out like this :twothumbsup: 8-)
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”