YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

One moment meditation - Dhamma Wheel

One moment meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
cooran

One moment meditation

Postby cooran » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:34 am

Hello all,

Thought this was interesting:

One moment meditation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtWl7wYQecU

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

alan

Re: One moment meditation

Postby alan » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:50 am

m0rl0ck

Postby m0rl0ck » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:07 am

“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig

cooran

Postby cooran » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:53 am

Hello all,

I was reading the book ‘’Real Happiness – the power of meditation’’ by Sharon Salzberg. She writes the following:

‘’Mini-Meditations throughout the day’’

Ordinary life activities offer a chance for small bursts of meditation, times when you can shake off distraction or anxiety and restore concentration and calm.
Anywhere we happen to be breathing, we can be meditating – standing in line at the DMV, watching our kid’s soccer games, before going into an important meeting. A few times a day, wherever you are, take a moment or two to tune in to the feeling of your breath at the nostrils, chest, or abdomen, whichever is most comfortable for you. You don’t have to close your eyes, look odd, or feel self-conscious. You’re just grabbing a quick, centering moment – as short as following three breaths – to connect with a deeper sense of yourself.

Some people set up routines or choose cues in order to build these moments of mindfulness into their day: They take three mindful breaths before they answer an e-mail; or stop and follow the breath for a few moments when the microwave dings as they’re heating up their lunch; or they let the phone ring three times before they pick it up, and take a mindful, centering breath in that brief interval. I heard about one executive who has her assistant put a free minute on the calendar before every meeting for a short following-the-breath break. These moments of stealth meditation may restore the calm state we achieve in longer practice sessions, and they remind us that the breath is always there as a resource, to center us so we remember what matters.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

bodom

Postby bodom » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:15 pm

To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

alan

Postby alan » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:08 am

Better to call it "a moment of mindfulness". I'd be all for that idea. It also has the advantage of being a good understanding of the word.
Certainly it is not possible to meditate in a minute, or in the situations described.
I posted that joke video to point out what seems obvious to me, which is that the idea of "meditating" for a minute devalues real practice.

acinteyyo

Postby acinteyyo » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:59 am

Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:06 am

Greetings,

:goodpost:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Buckwheat

Postby Buckwheat » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:05 am

Love it. Good thread. I think of every moment as an opportunity to meditate. I recently read a meditation guide that said, "You can even be mindful in a fit of rage". This may possibly be hyperbole, but each moment we definitely have the opportunity to choose between a) mindfully seeking skillful action, or b) letting greed, anger, and ignorance drive the boat.
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”