Pujas meaningful?

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Pujas meaningful?

Postby Stacey » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:04 pm

In my understanding obstacles arise due to karma. So when I am experiencing obstacles it is actually my own karma ripening resulting from previous negative actions. Is it then meaningful to perform Pujas to get rid of obstacles? Is the karma finished then? I mean for example with spirit harm, I would believe that someone had a bad karmic link to the provoking spirit and now this karma is ripening. If repelling rites are performed then, is this karmic link purified? Likewise there are pujas against slander and gossip and I see the same problem. Does it cure just the 'symptom' or also the karma?

Did you ever think of this and what do you think about it?

Stacey
Stacey

Re: Pujas meaningful?

Postby pemachophel » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:55 pm

Stacey,

IMHO, by doing the pujas, you are altering the karma. Whether you are completely eliminating the karma depends on the strength and efficacy of your practice. Until karma ripens fully, it can be purified. As it's said in Tibetan Buddhism, that's bad karma's one good quality. Good luck and best wishes. :namaste:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
pemachophel

Re: Pujas meaningful?

Postby tomamundsen » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:30 pm

Depends on the puja in question. One of the most important aspects of chö practice is repaying your karmic debtors. So, in that one, yes, you directly eliminate your karmic seeds.
tomamundsen

Return to Tibetan Buddhism