Postby Namu Butsu » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:01 am

What does laymen therevada look like?

Like vegetarianism or no vegetarianism
meditation
sexlife
enlightenment
practice
etc.
"It was only when I went to China in 1954-55 that I actually studied Marxist ideology and learned the history of the Chinese revolution. Once I understood Marxism, my attitude changed completely. I was so attracted to Marxism, I even expressed my wish to become a Communist Party member."-Dalai Lama (Time Magazine 1999)
http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma3/vegi.html (Meat eating and vegetarianism)

Goofaholix

Re: Lay man Theravada

Postby Goofaholix » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:06 am

That's a "how long is a piece of string" type question.

Ben

Postby Ben » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:09 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Namu Butsu

Postby Namu Butsu » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:20 am

Awesome feedback ben. I am reading a work of lectures of Ajahn Chah and its interesting how he speaks to some lay people. It seems that he thinks they can also attain. I love his way of teaching I was surprised to see that it was therevadan. Not in a negative sense, but it seemed a bit zen like coming from him.

now again to bring up the topic what about lay women. I hear therevada has a not so good rep when it comes to women and their role in buddhism.
"It was only when I went to China in 1954-55 that I actually studied Marxist ideology and learned the history of the Chinese revolution. Once I understood Marxism, my attitude changed completely. I was so attracted to Marxism, I even expressed my wish to become a Communist Party member."-Dalai Lama (Time Magazine 1999)

plwk

Postby plwk » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:17 am

legolas

Postby legolas » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:19 am

GrahamR

Lay man Theravada

Postby GrahamR » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:42 am

With metta :bow:
Graham

meindzai

Postby meindzai » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:20 pm

Legolas's post struck the most with me, being realistic and balanced.

-M

Namu Butsu

Postby Namu Butsu » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:04 am

This is great information on lay practice and my sort of off topic question on women> I still am confused as to why women are still not seen as equal with monks. These are some of the problems I am finding as I probe deeper.

I am starting to find myself move a bit away from Mahayana approaches. I like the early form of Buddhist teachings. In particular I like the old path that still sees it possible for anyone to wake up at any moment as Ajahn Chah suggests. I am trying to reread some of my Jack Kornfield and other works that I have on Vipassana and Theravada in general.

:buddha1:

P0int

Postby P0int » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:28 am

May you always find peace when remembering the good deeds you have done.

Be Observant.
Speak Truth.

phil

Postby phil » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:14 am

Hi, I personally feel the Mangala sutta lays out the householder's duties very thoroughly. There is a development in the sutta towards deeper attainments, but I don't feel any pressure as a lay follower of the Buddha to seek attainments. Keeping the precepts, avoiding harmful behaviour, those are in themselves wonderful ways to fulfill the rare blessing of human existence with sensitivity to the Buddha's teaching. If a motivation towards deeper attainments is to come, it will come within the shelter provided by living a morally sound life as a lay follower. (In more technical terms, a freedom from remorse thanks to wholesome living will lead to better conditions for samadhi and panna....)

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nara.html
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)

mlswe

Re: Lay person Theravada

Postby mlswe » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:04 pm

I found contemplation on the fact that attainment will take care of themselves because of their causes very helpful to shift my mindset from colored by dejection to one of awareness of my behaviour in regards to sila, samadhi, paññā

redlotus

Postby redlotus » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:05 am

I was quite confused when I saw this post. I am figuring I am extremely new to Buddhism. I do not know all the terms. I looked it up (layperson) and the site said that it basically was someone who does "not live in a normal house and wants to be free from attachments,"

Is this true?

Thank you, for all clarification is welcome! :-)

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:08 am

redlotus, a lay-person in the theravada (upasaka:m; upasika:f) is a non-ordained practitioner. In other words, a householder (buddhist).
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”