Bardo Thodol

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Bardo Thodol

Postby Tssrt » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:36 am

Hey people,

i would like to study the Bardo Thodol more deep. Are there good reliable sources and texts to recommend? I am not so much interested in modern psychological interpretations, but in information that can really be put into practice in the moment of death.

Best regards,
Tssrt
Tssrt

Re: Bardo Thodol

Postby Clarence » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:48 pm

This is the complete translation:

http://www.amazon.com/Tibetan-Book-Dead-Padmasambhava/dp/0670858862/ref=reader_auth_dp

It is very good. There is also a deluxe edition out. For practice, I guess Zhitro would be best.

Good luck.
Clarence

Postby kirtu » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:33 am

Also "Bardo Teachings" by Lama Lodro and probably Trungpa Rinpoche and Francesca Freemantle's "The Tibetan Book of the Dead", both available at Amazon, Snow Lion, Wisdom Pubs. Also look and see if HE Thrangu Rinpoche has published open teachings on the bardo.

There is also Sogyal Rinpoche's "The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying" which is in part Sogyal Rinpoche's presentation of the Bardo Thodol and it's teachings to his students. I found it useful when I moved from Zen Buddhist to Tibetan Buddhist practice as he introduces a very basic phowa practice that people can use without empowerment. You might also want to give Professor Thurman's translation of the Bardo Thodol a shot - his commentary is probably very good but his translation is idiosyncratic and unusable IMO but he did that to make the root text that he translated more accessible to Western English readers.

Then of course it would be best to take these teachings from a lama and go on a phowa retreat.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby ngodrup » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:03 pm

I especially like Sogyal Rinpoche's book because it puts the text
in its larger dzogchen context. I'd also cross reference the tantra
version -- the guhyagarbha tantra and its commentaries.

I'm assuming you have the empowerment.
ngodrup

Return to Tibetan Buddhism