Hanuman in Vajrayana

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Re: Hanuman in Vajrayana

Postby dzogchungpa » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:26 pm

Perhaps this is getting off topic and maybe we could start a new thread, but I am also very interested in the idea of local protectors. Does anyone have any more stories of lamas recognizing their presence outside of Tibet?
ཨོཾ་ཏཱ་རེ་ཏུཏྟ་རེ་ཏུ་རེ་སྭཱཧཱ༔
dzogchungpa

Postby philji » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:53 pm

pemachophel wrote:Philji,

Yes, various Tibetan Lamas have identified various local Protectors here in the U.S. Lama Dawa has identified the Goddess of the Mississippi and composed an offering ceremony to Her. Kusum Lingpa identified at least one Protector of Rigdzin Ling/Chagdud Gompa in northern CA and they do a Protectors prayer to that Deity written by Kusum Lingpa. And Tulku Sang-ngag has identified the/a Deity associated with Mt. Shasta. These are the ones I can think of right off the top of my head.

Many years ago, I was traveling with a family of Lamas in Maine. One night we camped in the woods below Mt. Katadin and did chod. The next day I was explaining that the local indigenous people believed their God(s) lived on top of that mountain. One of the Lamas said that they already knew that since those Deities had attended the previous evening's chod.

Recently, Lama Dawa was visiting northern Colorado. He was pointed out the Indian Peaks west of Boulder. He said that, if these were in Nepal, they'd be called the Five Sisters (i.e., Tsheringma and Her four Sisters). Personally, I took that to mean that we could/should (?) consider the Indian Peaks to be supports for Tshering Ched-nga.

Would love to see texts containing such prayers if anyone has a copy...
Sorry if I'm rambling.

:namaste:
philji

Postby Malcolm » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:54 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:Perhaps this is getting off topic and maybe we could start a new thread, but I am also very interested in the idea of local protectors. Does anyone have any more stories of lamas recognizing their presence outside of Tibet?

It is not really necessary to give them names. Bhumipatis is the general designation.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
Malcolm

Postby dzogchungpa » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:03 pm

Malcolm wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:Perhaps this is getting off topic and maybe we could start a new thread, but I am also very interested in the idea of local protectors. Does anyone have any more stories of lamas recognizing their presence outside of Tibet?

It is not really necessary to give them names. Bhumipatis is the general designation.

Well, I'm not particularly interested in their names, but thanks for the information.
Anyway, reddust started a thread on this topic, http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=15036,
so anyone who is interested can continue the conversation over there.
ཨོཾ་ཏཱ་རེ་ཏུཏྟ་རེ་ཏུ་རེ་སྭཱཧཱ༔
dzogchungpa

Postby Sherab Dorje » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:00 pm

This version kicks ass!
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Kunga » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:26 am

What Malcolm said.

There is a torma offering to the bhumipatis which is pretty standard across traditions to the best of my understanding. At least, the Sakyapas and Gelugpas use the same one.
Kunga

Previous

Return to Tibetan Buddhism