Lungta

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Re: Lungta

Postby Kunzang » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:13 am

A while back I took down some prayer flags hanging on the edge of my patio roof when I had to paint.

Is it okay to rehang them? They're still fairly new and not yet faded.
Kunzang

Postby Tsultrim T. » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:18 pm

Malcolm wrote:
In our system, you use an evergreen branch and with it sprinkle water on the flags to purify them.

Basic purification with the water: Ram, Yam, Kham, Om, Ah, Hung while sprinkling the water is pretty common.
Tsultrim T.

Postby Sherab Dorje » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:35 pm

Kunzang wrote:A while back I took down some prayer flags hanging on the edge of my patio roof when I had to paint.

Is it okay to rehang them? They're still fairly new and not yet faded.
Probably best to burn them, but I can't see any "real" problem with rehanging them.
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby rai » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:48 pm

hi

does it make sense to commission someone to hang the Lungta flags for us? would there be any power in that or it should rather be done personally? thank you.
Disdaining the lower and unable to grasp the higher,
talking of emptiness, such a person will neglect cause and effect,
mouthing on about the view while in a state of self-deception.
It would be better to concentrate on the gradual path.

"Creation and Completion" Jamgon Kongtrul
rai

Postby Adamantine » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:10 pm

It is fine to commission someone to hang flags for you: it is important they are consecrated by a qualified Lama with mantra, sometimes done during a sang ceremony, first however. Without consecration, it is believed the flags won't be potent. Ideally, if you commission someone they will also know some prayers to say on your behalf at the time the flags are raised and dedicate for your benefit specifically, (along with all sentient beings generally, of course.)

It is also the best to have them hung in sacred places where Buddhist saints have walked before.

And it is important to avoid hanging them on days that are astrologically determined to be bad days to hang flags: hanging them on these days can create obstacles rather than raise lungta. You can find out the contraindicated days through the Rigpa calendar or other Tibetan astrological calendars.

And lastly, it is important to hang them in the morning, when the sun is still rising in the sky, prior to the noon zenith.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby Adamantine » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:18 pm

Adamantine wrote:It is fine to commission someone to hang flags for you: it is important they are consecrated by a qualified Lama with mantra, sometimes done during a sang ceremony, first however. Without consecration, it is believed the flags won't be potent. Ideally, if you commission someone they will also know some prayers to say on your behalf at the time the flags are raised and dedicate for your benefit specifically, (along with all sentient beings generally, of course.)

It is also the best to have them hung in sacred places where Buddhist saints have walked before.

And it is important to avoid hanging them on days that are astrologically determined to be bad days to hang flags: hanging them on these days can create obstacles rather than raise lungta. You can find out the contraindicated days through the Rigpa calendar or other Tibetan astrological calendars.

And lastly, it is important to hang them in the morning, when the sun is still rising in the sky, prior to the noon zenith.

ONE last thing: it is most ideal to use pure cotton flags: although the common nylon ones made these days may last longer, and are cheaper to make and thus buy, they are toxic to the environment and so will have the mixed result of aggravating local spirits, protectors, and so on, specifically at the time of disposing of them properly -- since flags must be burned once they've deteriorated to dispose of them respectfully, and burning the nylon gives off terribly toxic and noxious smoke and fumes.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby rai » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:02 pm

thank you :)
Disdaining the lower and unable to grasp the higher,
talking of emptiness, such a person will neglect cause and effect,
mouthing on about the view while in a state of self-deception.
It would be better to concentrate on the gradual path.

"Creation and Completion" Jamgon Kongtrul
rai

Previous

Return to Tibetan Buddhism