Lungta

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Kunzang

Re: Lungta

Post by Kunzang »

A while back I took down some prayer flags hanging on the edge of my patio roof when I had to paint.

Is it okay to rehang them? They're still fairly new and not yet faded.
Critics slap labels on you and then expect you to talk inside their terms. - Doris Lessing
Tsultrim T.

Post by Tsultrim T. »

Malcolm wrote:
In our system, you use an evergreen branch and with it sprinkle water on the flags to purify them.
Basic purification with the water: Ram, Yam, Kham, Om, Ah, Hung while sprinkling the water is pretty common.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Kunzang wrote:A while back I took down some prayer flags hanging on the edge of my patio roof when I had to paint.

Is it okay to rehang them? They're still fairly new and not yet faded.
Probably best to burn them, but I can't see any "real" problem with rehanging them.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
rai

Post by rai »

hi

does it make sense to commission someone to hang the Lungta flags for us? would there be any power in that or it should rather be done personally? thank you.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

It is fine to commission someone to hang flags for you: it is important they are consecrated by a qualified Lama with mantra, sometimes done during a sang ceremony, first however. Without consecration, it is believed the flags won't be potent. Ideally, if you commission someone they will also know some prayers to say on your behalf at the time the flags are raised and dedicate for your benefit specifically, (along with all sentient beings generally, of course.)

It is also the best to have them hung in sacred places where Buddhist saints have walked before.

And it is important to avoid hanging them on days that are astrologically determined to be bad days to hang flags: hanging them on these days can create obstacles rather than raise lungta. You can find out the contraindicated days through the Rigpa calendar or other Tibetan astrological calendars.

And lastly, it is important to hang them in the morning, when the sun is still rising in the sky, prior to the noon zenith.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Adamantine wrote:It is fine to commission someone to hang flags for you: it is important they are consecrated by a qualified Lama with mantra, sometimes done during a sang ceremony, first however. Without consecration, it is believed the flags won't be potent. Ideally, if you commission someone they will also know some prayers to say on your behalf at the time the flags are raised and dedicate for your benefit specifically, (along with all sentient beings generally, of course.)

It is also the best to have them hung in sacred places where Buddhist saints have walked before.

And it is important to avoid hanging them on days that are astrologically determined to be bad days to hang flags: hanging them on these days can create obstacles rather than raise lungta. You can find out the contraindicated days through the Rigpa calendar or other Tibetan astrological calendars.

And lastly, it is important to hang them in the morning, when the sun is still rising in the sky, prior to the noon zenith.

ONE last thing: it is most ideal to use pure cotton flags: although the common nylon ones made these days may last longer, and are cheaper to make and thus buy, they are toxic to the environment and so will have the mixed result of aggravating local spirits, protectors, and so on, specifically at the time of disposing of them properly -- since flags must be burned once they've deteriorated to dispose of them respectfully, and burning the nylon gives off terribly toxic and noxious smoke and fumes.
rai

Post by rai »

thank you :)
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

I've heard it's customary to hang as many sets of lungta as your age - if this amount would be more than you can afford, what would a suitable number in relation to your age or is it arbitrary?
Would putting up any less than your age be inauspicious?
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Adamantine wrote:It is fine to commission someone to hang flags for you: it is important they are consecrated by a qualified Lama with mantra, sometimes done during a sang ceremony, first however.
No, you can consecrate them yourself. But if you think some lamas blessing is more potent, go for it.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Malcolm wrote:
Adamantine wrote:It is fine to commission someone to hang flags for you: it is important they are consecrated by a qualified Lama with mantra, sometimes done during a sang ceremony, first however.
No, you can consecrate them yourself. But if you think some lamas blessing is more potent, go for it.
Yes, of course. I just was assuming many reading this here might not have the knowledge or confidence to do so.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Adamantine wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Yes, of course. I just was assuming many reading this here might not have the knowledge or confidence to do so.
Oh, I remember now- the above reply is partly true- but also I was answering the inquiry about if it was possible to commission others
to hang flags for oneself-- I assumed this indicated doing so in a place not easily accessible
such as a pilgrimage place where it is considered more potent to hang flags - as I have personally commissioned flags to be raised many times in such places in Nepal on my behalf when I've been unable to travel there. As it would be hard for someone to consecrate flags themselves if they couldn't be there in person, it'd be better to make sure someone with the correct knowledge (a lama ideally) could do so for one.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”