Im thinking of exploring Vajrayana..any advice?

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Im thinking of exploring Vajrayana..any advice?

Postby Mokugyo » Fri May 13, 2011 4:09 pm

I am currently practicing Pureland. I recite Guan yin, Ksitigarbha, and Ksitigarbha Sutra. I feel that Tibetan Buddhism is more accessible as the places in my area only speak Vietnamese or Chinese.

I like the deeper practices in Vajrayana, especially those of compassion (such as 8 verses for transforming the mind). Many dharma practitioners I've come across are Vajrayana practitioners. However, Im not doing it just because they are, but because they are so inspiring. I really want to adapt the 8 verses for transforming the mind into my practice too. It reminds me to keep my practice going.

My practice is heavily influenced by Tibetan Buddhism. Even if I dont venture into Vajrayana, can I still let it influence me? It just feels so "right" for me, but from here, I dont know where to go.

:anjali:
Mokugyo

Re: Im thinking of exploring Vajrayana..any advice?

Postby Chaz » Fri May 13, 2011 4:28 pm

Mokugyo wrote:I am currently practicing Pureland. I recite Guan yin, Ksitigarbha, and Ksitigarbha Sutra. I feel that Tibetan Buddhism is more accessible as the places in my area only speak Vietnamese or Chinese.

I like the deeper practices in Vajrayana, especially those of compassion (such as 8 verses for transforming the mind). Many dharma practitioners I've come across are Vajrayana practitioners. However, Im not doing it just because they are, but because they are so inspiring.

My practice is heavily influenced by Tibetan Buddhism. Even if I dont venture into Vajrayana, can I still let it influence me? It just feels so "right" for me, but from here, I dont know where to go.

:anjali:

Find a Vajrayana Sangha near you and start attending. That's probably the best way to start. You can't just walk in the door and become a Tantrika. Different traditions have different approaches to introducing students to Vajrayana. Find one that you think suits you and see how well you work with it. More importantly is finding a teacher who can and will guide your practice into Vajrayana - this is the Guru - the Spiritual Friend. Without that person there will be no Vajrayana for you.

First things first, though. Find a Vajrayana sangha. Tibetan traditions usually fall into that category. Look at the senior teacher(s) of that sangha and begin attending teachings. See if there's a fit or a "connection" as we sometimes say. Go from there. You may experience some disappointments and false starts, but don't let that stop or discourage you.

Where do you live? Buddhanet has a fairly good listings of Dharma centers that can be browsed and can be used to help you find the location of a Vajra sangha.
Chaz

Postby gnegirl » Fri May 13, 2011 4:53 pm

Make an aspiration to find the right lineage to connect to, and to do so for the swift enlightenment of onesself and all beings.
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
gnegirl

Postby ngodrup » Fri May 13, 2011 4:56 pm

If you let us know where you are located,
we may be able to point your to something
in your region.
ngodrup

Postby Dechen Norbu » Fri May 13, 2011 5:16 pm

You can always try the Dzogchen Community. Watch a few webcasts and see if they inspire you. One of such webcasts will start tomorrow and it's open.
Here is the post with the informations about it:
viewtopic.php?f=85&t=4153

This is where you can watch it live:
http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webcast/video.php

I hope it benefits you.

Best wishes, :smile:

DN
Dechen Norbu

Postby Paul » Fri May 13, 2011 5:24 pm

Mokugyo wrote:I like the deeper practices in Vajrayana, especially those of compassion (such as 8 verses for transforming the mind). Many dharma practitioners I've come across are Vajrayana practitioners. However, Im not doing it just because they are, but because they are so inspiring. I really want to adapt the 8 verses for transforming the mind into my practice too. It reminds me to keep my practice going.

The 8 verses aren't vajrayana - they're mahayana. You can practice them now, without a teacher, if you want.

"Do not block your six senses; delight in them with joy and ease.
All that you take pleasure in will strengthen the awakened state.
With such a confidence, empowered by the regal state of natural mind,
The training now is simply this: lets your six senses be at ease and free." - Princess Parani
Paul

Postby Luke » Fri May 13, 2011 9:14 pm

gnegirl wrote:Make an aspiration to find the right lineage to connect to, and to do so for the swift enlightenment of onesself and all beings.

Yes, and one possible way of "fishing" for that connection is read short biographies of the founding masters in each school and their main students: Guru Rinpoche, Tilopa, Tsongkhapa, Sachen Kunga Nyingpo, Yumo Mikyo Dorje.

Feeling great devotion to Gampopa brought me to my first lama, a Kagyu lama, and feeling the need to show more and more devotion to Guru Rinpoche eventually brought me to my current lama, a Nyingma lama who feels like exactly the right lama for me.

There are some great short bios of the ancient Kagyu masters here:
http://www.kagyuoffice.org/kagyulineage ... osary.html

Perhaps other members could suggest equally good sites for the other lineages.

Another suggestion is to read Shantideva's book because it's all about bodhichitta, which is the foundation of Tibetan Buddhism. Fancy, schmancy tantric meditations can be counterproductive if you don't do them with the proper motivation.
http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/x/nav ... 05749.html
Luke

Postby Sherab Dorje » Mon May 16, 2011 10:35 am

Hayagriva wrote:The 8 verses aren't vajrayana - they're mahayana. You can practice them now, without a teacher, if you want.
This is very true but the texts need explaining and there are specific practices associated with the texts (like tonglen for example) that need to be learnt.

Here is a practice that has finding a teacher as its goal.
http://www.kagyu-asia.com/t_calling_guru.html
and this is how it's done!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrAQxNfN ... re=related
:namaste:
PS Dzogchen is not Vajrayana! ;)
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby Dhondrub » Mon May 16, 2011 10:46 am

gregkavarnos wrote:
Hayagriva wrote:The 8 verses aren't vajrayana - they're mahayana. You can practice them now, without a teacher, if you want.
This is very true but the texts need explaining and there are specific practices associated with the texts (like tonglen for example) that need to be learnt.

Here is a practice that has finding a teacher as its goal.
http://www.kagyu-asia.com/t_calling_guru.html
and this is how it's done!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrAQxNfN ... re=related
PS Dzogchen is not Vajrayana! ;)

Despite what is frequently written here and was frequently written on e-sangha "Calling the Guru from afar" by Jamgon Kongtrul Lodrö Thaye is not a practice to find a Guru. It is rather a form of Guru Yoga for meditators who already follow a master, it also requires Lung and at least some explanation.
Sorry and now back to topic
Dhondrub

Postby Sherab Dorje » Mon May 16, 2011 10:48 am

Sez hoo?
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby Dhondrub » Mon May 16, 2011 12:04 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:Sez hoo?

Kyabje Tenga Rinpoche, Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche, Ato Rinpoche...
Dhondrub

Postby Sherab Dorje » Mon May 16, 2011 12:32 pm

Dhondrub wrote:

Hey, there's no need to bring out the heavy artillery, I was only wielding a toothpick! :tongue:
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby Dhondrub » Mon May 16, 2011 12:49 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:
Dhondrub wrote:

Hey, there's no need to bring out the heavy artillery, I was only wielding a toothpick! :tongue:

:applause:

Thats just what I learned. Didnt want to sound to fundamental here
Dhondrub

Postby Dhondrub » Mon May 16, 2011 12:54 pm

btw Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche gave an excellent pithy teaching on "Calling the Guru from afar" near Berlin last year. You can order DVDs of that teaching here:
http://www.siddharthasintent.de/pages/e ... ameset.htm

And in 2000 Kyabje Tenga Rinpoche gave 3 Weeks of teachings on this text, you can order here: http://www.benchen.org/de/media-archive ... -2000.html

best

tashi
Dhondrub

Postby Pero » Mon May 16, 2011 1:29 pm

Dhondrub wrote:Despite what is frequently written here and was frequently written on e-sangha "Calling the Guru from afar" by Jamgon Kongtrul Lodrö Thaye is not a practice to find a Guru. It is rather a form of Guru Yoga for meditators who already follow a master, it also requires Lung and at least some explanation.
Sorry and now back to topic

Hehe, that's interesting, I always thought it was really a kind of teaching/practice. Looking at it again, a kind of Guru Yoga sounds right.
Does it require an English lung if it's in English hehe? :smile:
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero

Postby rai » Sat May 21, 2011 1:08 pm

hello Mokugyo,

Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche's teachings on "Amitabha Sutra from the Perspective of Triple Vision" with Chinesse translation http://www.sakyatenphelling.org/ - section "recorded teachings" -> "Amithaba Sutra"

I listened to it long time ago, Rinpoche explained some Vajrayana concepts while talking about Amithaba Sutra. Could be interesting for you since you've practiced Pure Land =)

Another teachings available on this website "The Three Levels of Perception" by Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche is also nice introduction to Vajrayana, also with the Chinesse translation.

Regards!
Disdaining the lower and unable to grasp the higher,
talking of emptiness, such a person will neglect cause and effect,
mouthing on about the view while in a state of self-deception.
It would be better to concentrate on the gradual path.

"Creation and Completion" Jamgon Kongtrul
rai

Return to Tibetan Buddhism