Naropa, Marpa, Milarepa Contradiction that Bothers Me

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Mr. G

Re: Naropa, Marpa, Milarepa Contradiction that Bothers Me

Post by Mr. G »

Namdrol wrote:Actually, we have eleventh century Nyingma masters complaining about all this new-fangled stuff with cakras, and nadis and so on that was a Hindu corruption of Buddhism. They reacted quite negatively to Hevajra, Kalacakra, Cakrasamvara and so on at first.
Does the Khon Vajrakila not have completion stage with cakras, nadis..etc.?
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

mr. gordo wrote:
Namdrol wrote:Actually, we have eleventh century Nyingma masters complaining about all this new-fangled stuff with cakras, and nadis and so on that was a Hindu corruption of Buddhism. They reacted quite negatively to Hevajra, Kalacakra, Cakrasamvara and so on at first.
Does the Khon Vajrakila not have completion stage with cakras, nadis..etc.?
No, there is no real completion stage with characteristics for the Khon Kilaya, AFAIK, apart from Dzogchen. Even if there were one, it would be hard to tell when it entered the practice. Of course there are kilaya tantras that have these things, but from a text critical point of view, their date of composition is difficult to ascertain.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Interesting, thanks.

Due to this lack of the use of nadis, cakras, etc., can we still classify practices that don't possess these characteristics as tantra? Is it because they require initiation allow us to still classify practices lacking completion stage as tantra?
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

conebeckham wrote:
Well, what about the completion stage of Yangdak?
What about it?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

mr. gordo wrote:Interesting, thanks.

Due to this lack of the use of nadis, cakras, etc., can we still classify practices that don't possess these characteristics as tantra? Is it because they require initiation allow us to still classify practices lacking completion stage as tantra?

Sure.
adinatha

Post by adinatha »

So which masters exactly manifested full and complete buddhahood not at death but in life? As far as I can tell it was Tilopa, Naropa and Milarepa. I'm not sure about Marpa. I'm not sure about Gampopa or Phagmo Drupa, but Drikung people say Jigten Sumgon manifested the topknot, the swirly eyebrow, the penis in the sheath and was a fully realized buddha after he overcame leprosy with his bodhichitta meditation. What they don't say is that they have methods for doing the same thing. Anyone who manifests buddhahood in life, according to them, is because of past life karma, being a bodhisattva in a previous life, and all that.

On the Dzogchen side, Garab Dorje and Padmasambhava were born nirmanakayas. The rest manifested buddhahood at death. If anyone can correct me here that would be delightful.
CAW!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

adinatha wrote:So which masters exactly manifested full and complete buddhahood not at death but in life? As far as I can tell it was Tilopa, Naropa and Milarepa. I'm not sure about Marpa. I'm not sure about Gampopa or Phagmo Drupa, but Drikung people say Jigten Sumgon manifested the topknot, the swirly eyebrow, the penis in the sheath and was a fully realized buddha after he overcame leprosy with his bodhichitta meditation. What they don't say is that they have methods for doing the same thing. Anyone who manifests buddhahood in life, according to them, is because of past life karma, being a bodhisattva in a previous life, and all that.

On the Dzogchen side, Garab Dorje and Padmasambhava were born nirmanakayas. The rest manifested buddhahood at death. If anyone can correct me here that would be delightful.

Countless Dzogchen masters realized full awakening in this body.

Rongzom states that the atiyoga path is so swift, that these relative signs manifested by Sapan, etc., don't appear on the body, but when the shell of the body breaks at death, these fully developed qualities are evident at that time.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

adinatha wrote:So which masters exactly manifested full and complete buddhahood not at death but in life? As far as I can tell it was Tilopa, Naropa and Milarepa.
Chestun Senge Wangchug, Khyentse Wangpo, Longchenpa, many others.
adinatha

Post by adinatha »

Namdrol wrote:
adinatha wrote:So which masters exactly manifested full and complete buddhahood not at death but in life? As far as I can tell it was Tilopa, Naropa and Milarepa.
Chestun Senge Wangchug, Khyentse Wangpo, Longchenpa, many others.
I thought these were rainbow bodies not of great transference, but manifesting at the time of death. In the case of Longchenpa, full manifest buddhahood at time of death with the earthquakes, "hurr" sound and other signs. I'm referring to well in advance of death with years and years of dharma dispensation to go.
CAW!
adinatha

Post by adinatha »

Namdrol wrote:Rongzom states that the atiyoga path is so swift, that these relative signs manifested by Sapan, etc., don't appear on the body, but when the shell of the body breaks at death, these fully developed qualities are evident at that time.
I can accept this. This makes a lot of sense.
CAW!
Gyalpo

Post by Gyalpo »

Enochian wrote:Something that bothers me.

Did Naropa, Marpa, Milarepa have physical bodies after Buddhahood?

If so that contradicts Vajrayana itself. After Buddhahood is obtained, one should no longer have a physical body.
So it seems to me, that according to your philosophy even Buddha Shakyamuni didnt achieve complete buddhahood, cos he has a physical body, he suffered from illness and at the end he even died!
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

adinatha wrote:S. . . Jigten Sumgon manifested the topknot, the swirly eyebrow, the penis in the sheath and was a fully realized buddha after he overcame leprosy with his bodhichitta meditation. What they don't say is that they have methods for doing the same thing. . ."
Could you please explain this further?
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

adinatha wrote: the penis in the sheath ...
The penis in the sheath thing has always bothered me. It sounds more like a disease if taken literally. I have a problem with it in a guru yoga text for example. Perhaps it is meant more methaphoically in the sense that nirmanakayas have truly overcome desire so the penis is sheathed in that sense.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
adinatha

Post by adinatha »

dakini_boi wrote:
adinatha wrote:S. . . Jigten Sumgon manifested the topknot, the swirly eyebrow, the penis in the sheath and was a fully realized buddha after he overcame leprosy with his bodhichitta meditation. What they don't say is that they have methods for doing the same thing. . ."
Could you please explain this further?
That he manifested the 32 major and minor marks of nirmanakaya Buddha.
CAW!
adinatha

Post by adinatha »

kirtu wrote:
The penis in the sheath thing has always bothered me. It sounds more like a disease if taken literally. I have a problem with it in a guru yoga text for example. Perhaps it is meant more methaphoically in the sense that nirmanakayas have truly overcome desire so the penis is sheathed in that sense.

Kirt
No they mean a nirmanakaya's penis goes into a sheath like a horse. It means it retracts into the body cavity.
CAW!
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

adinatha wrote:
kirtu wrote:

Kirt
No they mean a nirmanakaya's penis goes into a sheath like a horse. It means it retracts into the body cavity.
Yeah I know what the traditional explaination is. It makes no sense at all and just seems to be a reflection of a fear of sex.

Retracting the sex organs into the body also seems gruesome to modern people. However the intention behind the image seems clear - the nirnanakaya has definitely overcome desire.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Namdrol wrote:
conebeckham wrote:
Well, what about the completion stage of Yangdak?
What about it?
Well, the Heruka Gyalpo Tantra that it's based on shares characteristics with these so-called "sarma innovations," does it not? The Upper Door and Lower Door practices, Four Joys, Melting, etc......
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Enochian

Post by Enochian »

Gyalpo wrote:

If so that contradicts Vajrayana itself. After Buddhahood is obtained, one should no longer have a physical body.
So it seems to me, that according to your philosophy even Buddha Shakyamuni didnt achieve complete buddhahood, cos he has a physical body, he suffered from illness and at the end he even died!

Don't put words in my mouth.

I know that Shakyamuni was a Supreme Nirmankaya demonstrating an arhat's awakening.
There is an ever-present freedom from grasping the mind.

Mind being defined as the thing always on the Three Times.
gnegirl

Post by gnegirl »

Enochian wrote:
Gyalpo wrote:

Don't put words in my mouth.

I know that Shakyamuni was a Supreme Nirmankaya demonstrating an arhat's awakening.
He wasn't. He was simply extending the argument that was presented.
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
adinatha

Post by adinatha »

kirtu wrote:Yeah I know what the traditional explaination is. It makes no sense at all and just seems to be a reflection of a fear of sex.

Retracting the sex organs into the body also seems gruesome to modern people. However the intention behind the image seems clear - the nirnanakaya has definitely overcome desire.

Kirt
It's cause and effect, simple as that. When one does extended retreats, and doesn't lay down, it will happen. Something like what happens when you jump into freezing water. The pranas enter the central channel and that inward trajectory causes the penis to retract.
CAW!

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”