Elemental Colors

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Elemental Colors

Postby dakini_boi » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:38 am

I've noticed that some sources correlate blue with water and white with space - while others reverse these. I can deal with inconsistencies between different schools or lineages, but I'm wondering - does anyone know the origin of this disparity? Like, which lineages or practices use this or that system, which came first, etc?
dakini_boi

Re: Elemental Colors

Postby heart » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:19 am

dakini_boi wrote:I've noticed that some sources correlate blue with water and white with space - while others reverse these. I can deal with inconsistencies between different schools or lineages, but I'm wondering - does anyone know the origin of this disparity? Like, which lineages or practices use this or that system, which came first, etc?

Even within the Nyingma tradition, from terma to terma it can be different. It used to bother me to.

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
heart

Postby Heruka » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:28 am

tantric teachings present in ways that appear at odds and different, but really no, each variation is for different experience, if it is transmitted this way, you practice that way, try not to compare and contrast.

that is my simple understanding.

nothing more than that.
Heruka

Postby dakini_boi » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:53 pm

Thank you. Yes, I understand that different systems exist side by side, and that's fine. My question wasn't about comparing systems, or about the rationale behind the difference - my question was about which systems, termas, lineages, etc, use which elemental color schemes - so I can understand the broader context better.
dakini_boi

Postby heart » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:58 pm

dakini_boi wrote:Thank you. Yes, I understand that different systems exist side by side, and that's fine. My question wasn't about comparing systems, or about the rationale behind the difference - my question was about which systems, termas, lineages, etc, use which elemental color schemes - so I can understand the broader context better.

There is no scheme it changes from teaching to teaching and so there is no broader context to grasp. To the best of my knowledge there is no rationale between the differences in various cycles.

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
heart

Postby dakini_boi » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:12 pm

heart wrote:
dakini_boi wrote:Thank you. Yes, I understand that different systems exist side by side, and that's fine. My question wasn't about comparing systems, or about the rationale behind the difference - my question was about which systems, termas, lineages, etc, use which elemental color schemes - so I can understand the broader context better.

There is no scheme it changes from teaching to teaching and so there is no broader context to grasp. To the best of my knowledge there is no rationale between the differences in various cycles.

/magnus

Do you know which termas use which? And if there's any consistency among terma of particular tertons?
dakini_boi

Postby heart » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:47 pm

dakini_boi wrote:
heart wrote:

/magnus

Do you know which termas use which? And if there's any consistency among terma of particular tertons?

No, I haven't noticed any consistency even among the termas of the same Terton but my knowledge is a bit limited, I mainly do Chokling Tersar.

/magnus
- Longchenpa
heart

Return to Tibetan Buddhism