Kadampa Esoteric Instructions

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Kadampa Esoteric Instructions

Postby conebeckham » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:29 am

Query:
Does anyone know if the esoteric instructions of the Kadampa lineage, meaning the completion stages of the four deities of the Kadampa, and the 16 "Vital Essences," are transmitted these days, outside of Kongtrul's "Dam Ngak Dzo?"
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Re: Kadampa Esoteric Instructions

Postby Mariusz » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:09 am

conebeckham wrote:Query:
Does anyone know if the esoteric instructions of the Kadampa lineage, meaning the completion stages of the four deities of the Kadampa, and the 16 "Vital Essences," are transmitted these days, outside of Kongtrul's "Dam Ngak Dzo?"

H.E. Dagyab Rinpoche is teaching these instructions with initations : [url]http://www.tibethaus.com/detailansicht+M522add6ac8a.html?&tx_cal_controller[offset]=1[/url]
Now H.E. is teachings the part 4 of the whole cycle.

In german:
DIE SIEBEN KOSTBAREN DHARMAS, TEIL IV
Seminar mit Segensermächtigung | S.E. Dagyab Rinpoche
TIBETHAUS | FRANKFURT

...alle Lehren des Buddha als persönliche Instruktion zu betrachten und sich dabei auf die sieben Gottheiten und Lehren zu stützen (Buddha Shakyamuni, Avalokiteshvara, Tara und Achala sowie die drei höheren Schulungen). Der Text gilt als einer der kostbarsten Schätze der Kadampa-Tradition.
Mariusz

Postby kirtu » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:53 pm

Mariusz wrote:H.E. Dagyab Rinpoche is teaching these instructions with initations : [url]http://www.tibethaus.com/detailansicht+M522add6ac8a.html?&tx_cal_controller[offset]=1[/url]
Now H.E. is teachings the part 4 of the whole cycle.

In german:
DIE SIEBEN KOSTBAREN DHARMAS, TEIL IV
Seminar mit Segensermächtigung | S.E. Dagyab Rinpoche
TIBETHAUS | FRANKFURT

...alle Lehren des Buddha als persönliche Instruktion zu betrachten und sich dabei auf die sieben Gottheiten und Lehren zu stützen (Buddha Shakyamuni, Avalokiteshvara, Tara und Achala sowie die drei höheren Schulungen). Der Text gilt als einer der kostbarsten Schätze der Kadampa-Tradition.

THE SEVEN PRECIOUS DHARMAS, PART 4
A seminar including a blessing empowerment | HH Dagyab Rinpoche
TIBETHAUS | FRANKFURT (am Main - persumably*)

.... regarding all of the teaching of the Buddha as personal instruction and putting that into action by relying on the seven deities and the teaching (Buddha Shakyamuni, Avalokiteshvara, Tara and Achala as well as the three higher teachings). The text is considered to be a precious treasure of the Kadampa tradition.

Kirt

*PS - as a lady in then still East Germany asked me in 1991 when I told her I had been born in Frankfurt - "Which one?"
Last edited by kirtu on Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby conebeckham » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:23 pm

Interesting...thanks for the translation, Kirtu. "Seven Deities" is interesting....wonder what these "three higher teachings" are. Maybe 3 other yidam practices? My understanding is that the 4 Kadampa deity practices were Sakyamuni, Chenrezig, Tara and Achala.
conebeckham

Postby kirtu » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:15 pm

conebeckham wrote:Interesting...thanks for the translation, Kirtu. "Seven Deities" is interesting....wonder what these "three higher teachings" are. Maybe 3 other yidam practices? My understanding is that the 4 Kadampa deity practices were Sakyamuni, Chenrezig, Tara and Achala.

The "seven" may be a reference to the four deities mentioned (I left out Avalokiteshvara but just edited that mistake) and the three higher teachings. So perhaps a dash or a comma should come after "seven" (sieben) - although this is incorrect in German. Maybe it's an imperfect translation of an oral Tibetan statement and this disambiguation wasn't made and subsequently missed.

This is clearly from Atisha's lineage at least in terms of practice lineage and probably in terms of teaching lineaqge as well.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby Dhondrub » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:06 pm

Kyabje Tenga Rinpoche gave the Kadam Nyingthig Abishekas in 2001 in Germany, but i havent heard about the connected completion stage practices

best

tashi
Dhondrub

Postby conebeckham » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:34 pm

I think I'm able to answer my question, actually....per Kongtrul's SheJa Kunkhyab, there are the four deities, and three "Baskets." Thus, "Seven Deities and Dharmas" really means four deities and three "Dharmas," which are the three "Baskets." As for the Four Dieties, there are four corresponding completion stages....for the Kadam Esoteric instruction lineage transmission.

The "Completion Stages" are:
1. The Guide to the View
2. Compassion Vast as Space
3. The Five Recollections
4. The Common and Special Six Dharmas

There's not much at all about the fourth one in the translation, and the third one includes the 16 Vital Essences as an extension. According to Kongtrul, these practice were absorbed into the Kamtsang Kagyu as well as the Geluk lineage at the time of Gyalwa Gendun Drup, the First Dalai Lama.

I'm wondering if the fourth one listed is the same as the Six Dharmas of Naro.....likely not, it would probably be something else entirely.
conebeckham

Postby Heruka » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:52 pm

the great vajradhara gave teachings to the master tilopa, who was an emanation of vajradhara. he in turn gave teachings to glorious panchen naropa, who gave them to the great saint dombhiwa, who gave them to atisha. atisha directly realized naropa, who placed his hand on atishas head and said, "all the buddhas teaching is given to you."

a little blurb from the profound blessing meditation experience lineage
Heruka

Postby Heruka » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:00 pm

here is some info on atishas learnings in the secret mantra vehicle,

tantra on the origin of tara
tantra of tsundana
tantra of manjushri
tantra on the king of the three samayas
tantra of complete enlightenment
tantra of the collection of realizations
tantra of the female vajra