How can we help dead animals in the bardo?

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

How can we help dead animals in the bardo?

Postby tomamundsen » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:48 pm

Hi,

I was recently referred to the book "Peaceful Death, Joyful Rebirth" by a local Nyingma center. They mainly referred me to use the guided meditations as an introduction to Tibetan methods, but that's not really important in the context of this post.

My question is, what can we do to help the dead animals we encounter in our daily life navigate the bardo to a pure land? In the book, Tulku Thondup describes "Buddhist Rituals for Non-Buddhists" and "Universal Meditation for All" where you do a meditation visualizing receiving blessing lights and transferring them to the dying person in the bardo. However, this is clearly written for humans who have died. Usually ones that we are close friends or family with.

Is there any practice to guide those dead animals we encounter? I usually just say "om mani padme hung" a few times. But perhaps there is something more effective? Obviously, doing a whole meditation is not really feasible for dead animals outside, but could work for pests and insects in the home...

Thanks!
Tom
tomamundsen

Re: How can we help dead animals in the bardo?

Postby dakini_boi » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:24 pm

I don't see why you can't use Tulku Thondup's meditation for animals too. . .

In addition to mani mantra, you could also do Amitabha's mantra - Om Ami Dewa Hri - to help transfer animals to pure land.

Here's a very concise Amitabha practice with explanation:

http://www.palyulproductions.org/Amitab ... actice.pdf
dakini_boi

Postby Madeliaette » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:44 pm

I don't have an official answer - but personally, if i encounter a dead animal or bird, I will visualize picking it up and placing it bowed in front of the Buddha, then circling it three times before bowing back. (I read the story of the fly getting into the heavenly realms by accidentally circling a stupa x3, so figured it might help...)
Madeliaette

Location: Currently in Sussex, England. Formerly in Wollongong, Australia.

Postby tomamundsen » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:51 pm

dakini_boi wrote:I don't see why you can't use Tulku Thondup's meditation for animals too. . .

Ah, yea, I just wasn't sure...
dakini_boi wrote:In addition to mani mantra, you could also do Amitabha's mantra - Om Ami Dewa Hri - to help transfer animals to pure land.

Here's a very concise Amitabha practice with explanation:

http://www.palyulproductions.org/Amitab ... actice.pdf

Cool. Yes, this is in fact the meditation taught by Tulku Thondup that I was referred to the book for. :D

:thanks:

- Tom
tomamundsen

Postby Malcolm » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:13 pm

tomamundsen wrote:Cool. Yes, this is in fact the meditation taught by Tulku Thondup that I was referred to the book for. :D

- Tom

You can do Shitro.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
Malcolm

Postby ngodrup » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:25 pm

I think the animal has to be "pretty close to human"
to spend time in the bardos. I think they must
experience it, but without sufficient understanding...
But Tara prayers are good. Reciting certain Suttras too...
Lama Zopa answers these questions quite a lot-- many
ideas on the fpmt website. I guess, do whatever you can. :-)
ngodrup

Postby tomamundsen » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:30 am

Namdrol wrote:
tomamundsen wrote:Cool. Yes, this is in fact the meditation taught by Tulku Thondup that I was referred to the book for. :D

- Tom

You can do Shitro.

Thank you, Namdrol. Could you suggest any sources for this practice?

Thanks,
Tom
tomamundsen

Postby LastLegend » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:35 am

tomamundsen wrote:Hi,

I was recently referred to the book "Peaceful Death, Joyful Rebirth" by a local Nyingma center. They mainly referred me to use the guided meditations as an introduction to Tibetan methods, but that's not really important in the context of this post.

My question is, what can we do to help the dead animals we encounter in our daily life navigate the bardo to a pure land? In the book, Tulku Thondup describes "Buddhist Rituals for Non-Buddhists" and "Universal Meditation for All" where you do a meditation visualizing receiving blessing lights and transferring them to the dying person in the bardo. However, this is clearly written for humans who have died. Usually ones that we are close friends or family with.

Is there any practice to guide those dead animals we encounter? I usually just say "om mani padme hung" a few times. But perhaps there is something more effective? Obviously, doing a whole meditation is not really feasible for dead animals outside, but could work for pests and insects in the home...

Thanks!
Tom

Namo Amitabha is all you need to say...and the longer you can say with a pure mind, the better. Then you can say that you would like to offer them this cultivation of merits and wish that they will be reborn in Pure Land.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)

Linjii
―Listen! Those of you who devote yourselves to the Dharma
must not be afraid of losing your bodies and your lives―
LastLegend

Postby Malcolm » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:09 pm

tomamundsen wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

- Tom

You can do Shitro.

Thank you, Namdrol. Could you suggest any sources for this practice?

Thanks,
Tom

You can try to receive the transmission for the short Shitro of Norbu Rinpoche. Then you can get the text. Learn the melodies, etc. It is very easy to do.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
Malcolm

Postby tomamundsen » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:10 am

Namdrol wrote:You can try to receive the transmission for the short Shitro of Norbu Rinpoche. Then you can get the text. Learn the melodies, etc. It is very easy to do.

Oh, :thanks:
tomamundsen

Postby Josef » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:23 am

tomamundsen wrote:
Namdrol wrote:You can try to receive the transmission for the short Shitro of Norbu Rinpoche. Then you can get the text. Learn the melodies, etc. It is very easy to do.

Oh, :thanks:

You should tune in to the webcast tomorrow. Rinpoche often gives a lot of lung transmissions at the end of retreats.
Might be a good opportunity to get it.
Josef

Return to Tibetan Buddhism