Name that deity! :P

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Name that deity! :P

Postby devilyoudont » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:39 pm

Hello, I have a question. Who is the deity depicted at 2:29 in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN7YnSia2WY

(it's an awesome video too, BTW)
User avatar
devilyoudont
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:30 pm

Re: Name that deity! :P

Postby Jikan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:42 pm

it's hard to tell with just the face. It may be Kurukulle.
Jikan
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5165
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm

Re: Name that deity! :P

Postby gnegirl » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:44 pm

LOL. A new game! It could have a spin-off, 'Name that Mandala!', or 'Name that refuge tree!'
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
User avatar
gnegirl
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:22 pm
Location: Waponi Woo

Re: Name that deity! :P

Postby devilyoudont » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:48 pm

Jikan wrote:it's hard to tell with just the face. It may be Kurukulle.

Thanks!

She, er, is a Tibetan Buddhist deity, right? What I'm looking for, basically, is a clearer and larger version of the same image.
User avatar
devilyoudont
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:30 pm

Re: Name that deity! :P

Postby Zenda » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:05 pm

Looks like Red Tara to me...
Zenda
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:22 pm

Re: Name that deity! :P

Postby devilyoudont » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Thanks.

Does anyone happen to know where that image was taken from?
User avatar
devilyoudont
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:30 pm

Re: Name that deity! :P

Postby Dhondrub » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:45 am

Looks like a image of Yumkha Dechen Gyalmo http://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/Yumkha_Dechen_Gyalmo
taken from this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wmiamxt8lc
Dhondrub
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:05 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Name that deity! :P

Postby Sherab Dorje » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:23 pm

Dhondrub wrote:Looks like a image of Yumkha Dechen Gyalmo http://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/Yumkha_Dechen_Gyalmo
taken from this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wmiamxt8lc

Good call! I was gonna say Kurukulle too but it seems the image is taken directly from the clip you linked.
It's not red Tara coz Tara wears a proper crown/diadem along with the flower garland.
:namaste:
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
User avatar
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 9632
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Name that deity! :P

Postby Heruka » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:51 pm

bon deity called Kandroma Marmo is also similar.
Heruka
 
Posts: 1069
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:34 am

Re: Name that deity! :P

Postby Heruka » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:59 pm

the deity stance bothers me, it does not seem to go with the colour red?
does anyone else have a point about that, it is a modern image, and im wondering if its more pop art than tantric image?

the stance is more about potency of energy, i.e. getting ready to move, and should be more passive in colour, i.e, white or yellow etc, rather than the wrathful, full energy of the red.
any thoughts?

just curious.
Heruka
 
Posts: 1069
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:34 am

Re: Name that deity! :P

Postby Dhondrub » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:17 pm

Heruka wrote:the deity stance bothers me, it does not seem to go with the colour red?
does anyone else have a point about that, it is a modern image, and im wondering if its more pop art than tantric image?

the stance is more about potency of energy, i.e. getting ready to move, and should be more passive in colour, i.e, white or yellow etc, rather than the wrathful, full energy of the red.
any thoughts?

just curious.


http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?titl ... hen_Gyalmo
Dhondrub
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:05 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Name that deity! :P

Postby Heruka » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:15 am

Dhondrub wrote:
Heruka wrote:the deity stance bothers me, it does not seem to go with the colour red?
does anyone else have a point about that, it is a modern image, and im wondering if its more pop art than tantric image?

the stance is more about potency of energy, i.e. getting ready to move, and should be more passive in colour, i.e, white or yellow etc, rather than the wrathful, full energy of the red.
any thoughts?

just curious.


http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?titl ... hen_Gyalmo



very good, but whats your point?
Heruka
 
Posts: 1069
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:34 am

Re: Name that deity! :P

Postby heart » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:44 am

Heruka wrote:
Dhondrub wrote:
Heruka wrote:the deity stance bothers me, it does not seem to go with the colour red?
does anyone else have a point about that, it is a modern image, and im wondering if its more pop art than tantric image?

the stance is more about potency of energy, i.e. getting ready to move, and should be more passive in colour, i.e, white or yellow etc, rather than the wrathful, full energy of the red.
any thoughts?

just curious.


http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?titl ... hen_Gyalmo



very good, but whats your point?


That this is the stance of yumkha dechen gyalmo, nothing strange with it.

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
User avatar
heart
 
Posts: 3097
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Name that deity! :P

Postby Dhondrub » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:53 pm

Heruka-my point is: that is just the stance of that particular deity according to Guru Rinpoche via Jigme Lingpa. I dont think there is much benefit in building up to many concepts around it especially in an public internet forum, where most people dont have the wang of that deity let alone do the practice.

all the best

tashi
Dhondrub
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:05 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Name that deity! :P

Postby Heruka » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:21 pm

heart wrote:That this is the stance of yumkha dechen gyalmo, nothing strange with it.

/magnus


ok cool, so this is the deity in the video?
Heruka
 
Posts: 1069
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:34 am

Re: Name that deity! :P

Postby Heruka » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:24 pm

Dhondrub wrote:Heruka-my point is: that is just the stance of that particular deity according to Guru Rinpoche via Jigme Lingpa. I dont think there is much benefit in building up to many concepts around it especially in an public internet forum, where most people dont have the wang of that deity let alone do the practice.

all the best

tashi



ok cool, i had seen a yeshe tsogyel in this stance but she was a light pink colour, a unification of the red/white.

had not come across that particular image, is it a empowerment card image, you know the ones that one touches to the hand?

or just a small detail of larger image, if so does anyone have that larger image?
Heruka
 
Posts: 1069
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:34 am

Re: Name that deity! :P

Postby Dhondrub » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:06 pm

Heruka wrote:
Dhondrub wrote:Heruka-my point is: that is just the stance of that particular deity according to Guru Rinpoche via Jigme Lingpa. I dont think there is much benefit in building up to many concepts around it especially in an public internet forum, where most people dont have the wang of that deity let alone do the practice.

all the best

tashi



ok cool, i had seen a yeshe tsogyel in this stance but she was a light pink colour, a unification of the red/white.

had not come across that particular image, is it a empowerment card image, you know the ones that one touches to the hand?

or just a small detail of larger image, if so does anyone have that larger image?



here is another one http://imageserver.himalayanart.org/fif ... ,1&hei=400
Dhondrub
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:05 pm
Location: Germany


Return to Tibetan Buddhism

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: asunthatneversets, deff, Karma_Yeshe, pemachophel, Soar, Sönam and 29 guests

>