Vajrayogini practice

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Re: Vajrayogini practice

Postby conebeckham » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:33 pm

Nirveda-

The one you're drawn to is Naropa's Vajrayogini, or Naro Khachoma, in Tibetan...this is really the heart practice of the Sakyapa lineage. It was from the Sakayapas that the Gelukpas "inherited" their practice of this deity, as well-though in some circles it's not really considered mainstream Geluk practice. So, knowing that, I'd say your best bet would be to seek out specifically Sakya teachers.

If you're lucky you should be able to find a Sakya Lama who will bestow this empowerment/blessing.

Where in the world are you? Perhaps we can help point you to a center or Lama....??
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby conebeckham » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:39 pm

Oh....seeing as how you're reading Jeffrey Hopkins, too......it may be the Geluk lineage that you're drawn to. So you may want to check out Geluk teachers or centers in your area as well, and see if there are any that practice or offer VY......

Keep in mind, for both Sakya and Geluk, you'd have to get a "full-on" Wangkur of any Highest Yoga Tantra deity first, in order to get the empowerment/blessing of VY--for Sakyapas this would be either Hevajra or Chakrasamvara first, usually...and for Gelukpas, Guhyasmaja, Vajrabhairava, or Chakrasamvara. So you can research those, as well.
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby Josef » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:05 pm

conebeckham wrote:Oh....seeing as how you're reading Jeffrey Hopkins, too......it may be the Geluk lineage that you're drawn to. So you may want to check out Geluk teachers or centers in your area as well, and see if there are any that practice or offer VY......

Keep in mind, for both Sakya and Geluk, you'd have to get a "full-on" Wangkur of any Highest Yoga Tantra deity first, in order to get the empowerment/blessing of VY--for Sakyapas this would be either Hevajra or Chakrasamvara first, usually...and for Gelukpas, Guhyasmaja, Vajrabhairava, or Chakrasamvara. So you can research those, as well.

For Gelukpa's the VY empowerment will usually follow the Cakrasamvara empowerment.
The actual practice texts are very similar. The Geluk sadhana has a few alterations made by Pabonkha when he wrote the new sadhana. Most Gelukpas use his version. If you ask me, seeking out an earlier version of the sadhana is a good idea for a couple of reasons. The biggest of those being so that one can assess the differences and make informed decisions about how they wish to pursue their practice.
Josef

Postby Nirveda » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:08 am

I'm in New Jersey, near Atlantic City, which places me about 1 hour from Philadelphia and 2.5 hours from New York City. I'm about 2.5 hours from the Tibetan Buddhist Learning Center in Washington NJ. I think the TBLC is Geluk.

I thought the Geluks did Vajrayogini, because I knew a Geluk practitioner who did it, but he studied in Dharamsala (which is a bit out of the way for me...)

Thanks again for all of your help. You've been very generous with sharing your knowledge.

If I get in touch with a teacher and get underway, I'll post here to let you know.
Nirveda

Postby Mr. G » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:14 am

For a Sakya teacher in NJ, Khenpo Lama Pema Wangdak has a center there. I used to go to his center in NYC. He's a wonderful teacher.

http://paldensakya.org/
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby dorje.neljorma » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:14 am

Nirveda wrote:I'm in New Jersey, near Atlantic City, which places me about 1 hour from Philadelphia and 2.5 hours from New York City. I'm about 2.5 hours from the Tibetan Buddhist Learning Center in Washington NJ. I think the TBLC is Geluk.

I thought the Geluks did Vajrayogini, because I knew a Geluk practitioner who did it, but he studied in Dharamsala (which is a bit out of the way for me...)

Thanks again for all of your help. You've been very generous with sharing your knowledge.

If I get in touch with a teacher and get underway, I'll post here to let you know.

If you are near New York, you could check out Jewel Heart (www.jewelheart.org) Gelek Rimpoche gives the Vajrayogini initiation/teaching every few years, although usually in Michigan, but he does go to NY regularly for teachings. He is considered (by most?) the Gelug Lineage Holder of the Vajrayogini.

Yes, in Gelug a full-fledged Highest Yoga Tantra initiation is required before receiving Vajrayogini, preferably Chakrasamvara, but Yamantaka or Guhyasamaja or Hayagriva etc will also do. Often the Chakrasamvara initiation is given 2-days before the Vajrayogini initiation, over a weekend or something.

May you find a teacher in the near future
dorje.neljorma

Postby dakini_boi » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:52 am

Here's one coming up in CA in April:

http://www.anandadharma.org/rinpoche/schedule.php
dakini_boi

Postby machig » Sat May 28, 2011 4:32 pm

There will be a one hundred thousand mantra Vajrayogini retreat w/ fire puja in Melbourne Australia in September, led by Ven. Geshe Thubten Loden. See their website tushita.org for info. Very rare to find these.
machig

Previous

Return to Tibetan Buddhism