Tai Situ Rinpoche talks about gurus

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Tai Situ Rinpoche talks about gurus

Postby Luke » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:36 am

I found this article to be full of helpful info about gurus:
http://www.ncf.net/guru.htm

Here's one interesting comment he makes:
Once someone has found their Tsa-wa i Lama does this mean they should not attend teachings or initiations given by other Lamas?
No, of course not, but a little care should be taken. Each tradition of Buddhism, such as Zen orTheravadin, and each school ofTibetan Buddhism has a different way of presenting things. If you listen to a great variety it is easy to confuse issues without realising you are doing so. It is like a paint box! The red is a nice colour, and those two greens are both clear and bright, and the yellow and that rich purple - all are fine colours but if you mix them all together you get a muddy brown! It is better to stay with teachers of the same lineage as far as you can so that your mind does not become muddy brown! However, a little of one colour added to another can be good. Ask your Refuge Lama or your Tsa-wa i Lama for advice.
Luke

Re: Tai Situ Rinpoche talks about gurus

Postby Gyalpo » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:46 pm

It seems to me, that great Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo and other rime lamas has very, very brown muddy minds!

:D
Gyalpo

Postby conebeckham » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:55 pm

No, their minds were like rainbows....or, like clean, clear water droplets that reflected the various colors in beautiful, precise, vivid bands of color.

Our minds, however, are dry or muddy--some of us don't reflect any light that enters, never mind what color....or we just soak it up.
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby Dhondrub » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:18 pm

There is a saying in Tibet: " Dogs shouldnt imitate lions"
Dhondrub

Return to Tibetan Buddhism