Beginners' books

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Lingpupa

Beginners' books

Post by Lingpupa »

Yes, it's THAT old question. Years ago I would have been confident what to say, but it's a long time since I had anything to do with people just starting out, and I'm not sure that I trust my own judgement.

There are a couple of people who live not that far from me, both of them ladies of a certain age. Both are keen to learn more about Buddhism. One of them made a trip to Thailand some years ago, and was shown (by what she describes as a sympathetic Christian guide) some temples and the like. She came away with a good impression. The other has been a few times to a centre in England (sotto voce: NKT), but will not be going often and would like to take things further. They are looking to me for suggestions, particularly books. As I understand it, they plan to study in parallel and I, looking down from my great mount of wisdom, will dispense guidance, suggestions and corrections.

I have told them fairly clearly that although I do know quite a lot, I can only speak with any authority about Tibetan Buddhism, and really only about the Kagyu and Nyingma traditions – not that they are yet in a position to grasp what that means.

I think they do actually want to learn something proper, but I'm sure most of us will realise that many of the books that we think are really good when we have quite a bit of experience would be offputting and dry to a complete beginner.

The two things that have jumped to my mind are that they might get hold of The Words of my Perfect Teacher, along with the suggestion that they might browse in the Berzin Archives on the web.

While I'm sure that they could do worse than those two things, I am wondering if they might do better still. Any suggestions?
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Ramblings: lunidharma.blogspot.com
Paul

Re: Beginners' books

Post by Paul »

How to Practice by HH Dalai Lama is a good ground-level book. The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche is a good one too.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

Crystal and the Way of Light
B. Alan Wallace's books
Crystal Mirror series if you can find it
Heart Treasure of the Enlightened Ones by Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Punya

Post by Punya »

There are some recommendations in this earlier thread http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... troductory.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Terma

Post by Terma »

Paul wrote:How to Practice by HH Dalai Lama is a good ground-level book. The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche is a good one too.
2 great recommendations. I think these were 2 of the very first books that I read when I was first starting out.
Manju

Post by Manju »

`Joy of Living` by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche was the first book where the puzzle peaces fell into place for me, so to speak.
This was after 5 years of Ngondro plus 3 times full meditation through the Lam Rim teachings. :?

http://thubtenchodron.org/ Ven. Thupten Chodron has much to offer for the very beginners and I will be forever grateful.

I found Ani Tenzin Palmo`s `Reflections On A Mountain Lake` very inspiring in the beginning.

Remember seeing a video talk with Ani Palmo.
This was my first week into Buddhism and the talk very basic.

Seems like already at that point something rang through, because leaving the Dharma Center (in the Himalayas) and taking my seat in the taxi I was surprised to see the taxi driver (who was as usual trying to increase the fare beyond any reasonable cost) as.....Buddha.

An incredible shift in perception and a clear indication that years later the path would definitely be Vajaryana.
Thank you Ani Palmo.

:thumbsup:

Manju
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Assuming that these people are interested in Buddhism rather than Tibetan Buddhism specifically, it might be better to avoid some of the works recommended above, which are clearly practitioners' favorites and meant for those with a little knowledge and experience already. HH Dalai Lama's books should be fine, as well as stuff by Achahn Chah, Suzuki Roshi's Zen Mind, Beginners Mind, Dzongsar Jamyang, Khyentse.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

tingdzin wrote:Assuming that these people are interested in Buddhism rather than Tibetan Buddhism specifically, it might be better to avoid some of the works recommended above, which are clearly practitioners' favorites and meant for those with a little knowledge and experience already. HH Dalai Lama's books should be fine, as well as stuff by Achahn Chah, Suzuki Roshi's Zen Mind, Beginners Mind, Dzongsar Jamyang, Khyentse.
I was thinking the same thing.
And I was wondering when someone was going to mention HHDL's The Art of Happiness.
:thinking:
I guess I just did that. :tongue:

:reading:
Kim
Zen Mantra

Post by Zen Mantra »

Kim O'Hara wrote:
tingdzin wrote:Assuming that these people are interested in Buddhism rather than Tibetan Buddhism specifically, it might be better to avoid some of the works recommended above, which are clearly practitioners' favorites and meant for those with a little knowledge and experience already. HH Dalai Lama's books should be fine, as well as stuff by Achahn Chah, Suzuki Roshi's Zen Mind, Beginners Mind, Dzongsar Jamyang, Khyentse.
I was thinking the same thing.
And I was wondering when someone was going to mention HHDL's The Art of Happiness.
:thinking:
I guess I just did that. :tongue:

:reading:
Kim
I own this book; 'The Art of Happiness'.
I am currently reading it. :reading:
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I've decided to go with Heart Treasure of the Enlightened Ones - thanks, Sherlock, it hadn't occurred to me, though it's a book I do treasure myself!

I take the point about avoiding some "practitioners favourites", as they can be too specialized and make too many assumptions. OTOH I didn't want to go for something so bland that it's only likely to inspire sitting round with a cup of tea saying "Oh, that's nice dear, isn't it?" Something with enough beef that they can actually react to it. I hope it's a good choice!

Thanks again
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Ramblings: lunidharma.blogspot.com

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”