Why Garchen Rinpoche meditates so much

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Why Garchen Rinpoche meditates so much

Postby dzogchungpa » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:36 pm

I just wanted to call attention to the following statement, from here: http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=16286&p=240712#p240712, since that thread is locked, and I think it's kind of interesting:
He has stated that he meditates so much because his students always need him. He tried to explain to me that when he meditates it’s like he is part of endless ocean of beings and he can feel student’s needs like ripples or turbulence in the water. When he is in mediation is able to open his mind to those who need him. I don’t know for sure but it may be something related to that since it involved sharing his mind-stream.

(from a communication with Mel Carmichael of Gar Drolma)
Note that, in the higher tantras, there is talk of a self and an I, even though in the lower teachings the absence of self and the absence of I is what is always proclaimed. - Tony Duff
To educate the educated is notoriously difficult. - Jacques Barzun
སརྦ་དྷརྨ་དྷཱ་ཏུ་ཨཱཏྨ་ཀོ་྅ཧཾ༔
dzogchungpa

Re: Why Garchen Rinpoche meditates so much

Postby Sherab Dorje » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:57 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:I just wanted to call attention to the following statement, from here: http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=16286&p=240712#p240712, since that thread is locked, and I think it's kind of interesting:
He has stated that he meditates so much because his students always need him. He tried to explain to me that when he meditates it’s like he is part of endless ocean of beings and he can feel student’s needs like ripples or turbulence in the water. When he is in mediation is able to open his mind to those who need him. I don’t know for sure but it may be something related to that since it involved sharing his mind-stream.

(from a communication with Mel Carmichael of Gar Drolma)
And this surprises you...? I mean, isn't the point of practice to overcome dualistic grasping to ego? So once the barriers drop...

To put it more intellectually: since everything arises from the dharmakaya, if one can remain in the natural state then the false duality of you and me disappears.
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby Jikan » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:08 pm

I'm convinced from the brief interactions I've had with him that Garchen Rinpoche is a yogin of very, very high capacity.
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby dzogchungpa » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:44 pm

Sherab Dorje wrote:And this surprises you...?

Not at all, I just like it. :smile:
Note that, in the higher tantras, there is talk of a self and an I, even though in the lower teachings the absence of self and the absence of I is what is always proclaimed. - Tony Duff
dzogchungpa

Postby asunthatneversets » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:46 pm

Just shared the statement in the OP with a friend, who replied:

"I had an experience with him [Garchen Rinpoche] once that seems to confirm this. I was attending a teaching he gave at Tibet Center in New York. He was sick with a bad cold or pneumonia and kept clearing his throat while the translator spoke, forgetting that he had a microphone pinned to his robe. His innocence was very endearing. At one point the text being translated said 'Every sound is the Buddha's speech,' and another loud cough filled the room. At one point I felt a strong feeling of love for him and the wish that he be well. His head turned and he looked at me, smiling, and waved as if saying 'hello.' I was one of about two hundred people and sitting near the back of the audience. It was a direct and immediate communication - the heart wish from me and what looked like a 'thank you' and 'hello' from him.

In this case it wasn't my need he was picking up, but I was sure he had felt what I was feeling for him."
asunthatneversets

Postby Konchog1 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:47 pm

asunthatneversets wrote:Just shared the statement in the OP with a friend, who replied:

"I had an experience with him [Garchen Rinpoche] once that seems to confirm this. I was attending a teaching he gave at Tibet Center in New York. He was sick with a bad cold or pneumonia and kept clearing his throat while the translator spoke, forgetting that he had a microphone pinned to his robe. His innocence was very endearing. At one point the text being translated said 'Every sound is the Buddha's speech,' and another loud cough filled the room. At one point I felt a strong feeling of love for him and the wish that he be well. His head turned and he looked at me, smiling, and waved as if saying 'hello.' I was one of about two hundred people and sitting near the back of the audience. It was a direct and immediate communication - the heart wish from me and what looked like a 'thank you' and 'hello' from him.

In this case it wasn't my need he was picking up, but I was sure he had felt what I was feeling for him."
I certainly hope he doesn't read minds. But you reminded me of a story. Back when I was young and more foolish, I had no idea how big Garchen Rinpoche was. I went to Garchen Institute with a copy of Tintin in Tibet with the idea of giving it away to someone with robes. I met Rinpoche by chance circling a stupa and gave him the comic book. He gave me a hug and I felt a massive explosion of love for him.

I suppose in future lives I'll always come by comic books with ease. :tongue:
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Konchog1

Postby Motova » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:17 am

Konchog1 wrote:
asunthatneversets wrote:I certainly hope he doesn't read minds.

He does. The best thing is to assume they all can, because probably most can.
Motova

Postby Lindama » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:31 am

asunthatneversets wrote:Just shared the statement in the OP with a friend, who replied:

yes, this happens. It has happened to me more than a few times in both directions.

I think that you are correct, he felt what you were feeling.... this is not the same as the ability to read minds as some have suggested. He certainly was not reading your mind. He was reading energy far beyond our concept of how our mind expresses and controls our world as if we think it belongs to us, and far beyond how we think we are the only ones communicating. It is entirely possible to read this in a group of hundreds. It is entirely possible to read awakened energy in the unawakened. That is, it's beyond our idea of ourselves, beyond me, myself and I. A heart wish is such an energy, it's beyond what we think of ourselves and it doesn't originate in our mind as a concept or intention. You are correct... it was a direct and immediate communicate beyond the so-called small self. We live in this dynamic, if only we saw it. There is nothing personal, yet everything is personal for a heart wish.
Lindama

Postby Karinos » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:15 pm

I have similar story not about Kyabje Garchen Rinpoche but late Kyabje Tenga Rinpoche. I often find similarities in these two great masters and in this case, I remember many many years ago Tenga Rinpoche was accepting some new students and ask them to give them pictures and address. They were a little surprised and puzzled with request, but Rinpoche explained that address if for sending new year Tashi Delek cards and picture is just to complete his note book, otherwise he "ALWAYS keeps all students in his mind inside White Tara protection circle " so they are part of protection and mandala. White Tara was Tenga Rinpoche's one of main yidams (another similarity).
Karinos

Postby dzogchungpa » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:05 pm

White Tara rules!

White_Tara.jpg
White_Tara.jpg (53 KiB) Viewed 416 times
dzogchungpa

Return to Tibetan Buddhism