A bunch of questions about empowerment, deities and practice

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Alfredo

Re: A bunch of questions about empowerment, deities and prac

Post by Alfredo »

This may seem like a silly question, but how does one address a Lama in an email? Or would it not matter because Garchen Rinpoche is not going to be directly reading it anyway?
Just be respectful, and keep to the point. I'm sure "Dear Lama" or "Dear Rinpoche" would be fine. You're right--he may well be unable to reply personally (either because of language, or because he is famous/busy), but perhaps one of his students would respond. Is there a FAQ file on his website somewhere...?
(no longer participating on this board)
LolCat

Post by LolCat »

Alfredo wrote:
This may seem like a silly question, but how does one address a Lama in an email? Or would it not matter because Garchen Rinpoche is not going to be directly reading it anyway?
Just be respectful, and keep to the point. I'm sure "Dear Lama" or "Dear Rinpoche" would be fine. You're right--he may well be unable to reply personally (either because of language, or because he is famous/busy), but perhaps one of his students would respond. Is there a FAQ file on his website somewhere...?
Ah, I had already sent the email by the time you replied, thank you, I will keep this in mind the next time I send a mail to any Tibetan Buddhist center. :thanks:
Malcolm wrote:
LolCat wrote:

Definitely. You do your best.

You will eventually find someone who can give you instruction, or you will find the book, etc.
That is good to hear. :) I think I will maintain the commitment with chanting the Guru Rinpoche mantra though, doing the Amitabha practice raises too many doubts in my head, and I don't think that can be good for this sort of practice. Hopefully the obstacles in front of me get cleared soon and I can a find a teacher to take refuge in.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

LolCat wrote:I think I will maintain the commitment with chanting the Guru Rinpoche mantra though, doing the Amitabha practice raises too many doubts in my head, and I don't think that can be good for this sort of practice. Hopefully the obstacles in front of me get cleared soon and I can a find a teacher to take refuge in.
Do what you like. Everyone feels close to some deities and not to others, hence why there are so many. Sometimes feelings do change though, for example I felt more faith in Shakyamuni after reciting the praises to him in the Sutra of Golden Light a few times.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Keep in mind too there are ways to practice, especially with Amitabha, that don't involve lengthy sadhanas.
My own experience has been that doubts, like you say, roll in and I have a hard time.
If you don't feel like these doubts can be worked with (and how precious to see your obstacles right away!), why not try the most basic mantra of the particular deity?
For me, "namu Amida Butsu" or even just "Amitabha" is enough.
When I was working with Chenrezig, it was "om mani padme hum".
The short ones you can recite to yourself during everyday activities.
And in my experience, those most ordinary, least when you expect it moments are the most important.
Good luck :)
Namu Amida Butsu

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”