work

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

work

Postby naljor » Tue May 27, 2014 7:53 pm

Hallo dear friends, can practitioner of buddhism or vajrayana work in shop with meat?
naljor

Re: work

Postby ngodrup » Wed May 28, 2014 5:49 am

A "Real" -- capital R real -- Vajrayanaist can even be a butcher.:)
But that would assume that he or she could liberate beings!

More seriously, I asked H. H. Kusum Lingpa about this, and he said
you can sell cigarets, liquor, whatever, that's just business, not
the same as smoking, drinking, etc.

The essence of Vajrayana the practice of pure perception.
ngodrup

Postby asunthatneversets » Wed May 28, 2014 5:58 am

Depends from teacher to teacher, many masters have no issue with meat and some do. They all seem to agree that it is okay to eat the meat of animals who's death you had no karmic connection with (meaning the animal didn't die by your hands, nor was it killed for you specifically). Some teachers say to avoid meat from an animal that was deliberately killed in any sense, and only eat the meat of animals who died due to natural causes or by accident (this is the position of Dzogchen master Shardza Tashi Gyaltsen). Other lamas such as Chatral Rinpoche do not even allow meat on the premises of his land. And then other teachers such as Chögyal Namkhai Norbu support eating meat in general. So there is no uniform view, best to follow the advice of your teacher.

That is sort of the rundown when it comes to eating meat, as for handling it I'm not sure, but would imagine you will again hear different things.
asunthatneversets

Postby naljor » Wed May 28, 2014 8:16 pm

thank you....
naljor

Postby odysseus » Thu May 29, 2014 12:20 pm

Generally, after becoming a Buddhist one should not be involved in any business. But the definition of "business" is unclear.
Buddha is best on Earth. My lord is best.
odysseus

Postby heart » Thu May 29, 2014 3:09 pm

odysseus wrote:Generally, after becoming a Buddhist one should not be involved in any business. But the definition of "business" is unclear.

You should tell that to the Tibetan's, I am pretty sure they don't know that. :smile:

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
heart

Postby naljor » Thu May 29, 2014 5:26 pm

Yes, it is nice, but it is a little fantasy, in my experience it does not work at all. Business is the only thing that counts in our present kaliyuga.
naljor

Postby odysseus » Fri May 30, 2014 2:01 am

heart wrote:
odysseus wrote:Generally, after becoming a Buddhist one should not be involved in any business. But the definition of "business" is unclear.

You should tell that to the Tibetan's, I am pretty sure they don't know that. :smile:

/magnus

Do they have business, except for freeing Tibet? :thumbsup:
Buddha is best on Earth. My lord is best.
odysseus

Postby TaTa » Fri May 30, 2014 3:37 am

asunthatneversets wrote:Depends from teacher to teacher, many masters have no issue with meat and some do. They all seem to agree that it is okay to eat the meat of animals who's death you had no karmic connection with (meaning the animal didn't die by your hands, nor was it killed for you specifically). Some teachers say to avoid meat from an animal that was deliberately killed in any sense, and only eat the meat of animals who died due to natural causes or by accident (this is the position of Dzogchen master Shardza Tashi Gyaltsen). Other lamas such as Chatral Rinpoche do not even allow meat on the premises of his land. And then other teachers such as Chögyal Namkhai Norbu support eating meat in general. So there is no uniform view, best to follow the advice of your teacher.

That is sort of the rundown when it comes to eating meat, as for handling it I'm not sure, but would imagine you will again hear different things.

Hey just curious, do you know what reason does Norbu gives? Of he does give any reason... Thank you.
TaTa

Postby asunthatneversets » Fri May 30, 2014 6:59 am

TaTa wrote:Hey just curious, do you know what reason does Norbu gives? Of he does give any reason... Thank you.

Rinpoche said that if we (as practitioners) eat meat it creates a positive cause for the animal. We should primarily consume the meat while in the state of contemplation, however that state isn't within everyones grasp so we should aim to at least be present. Eating meat during tsog especially creates a positive connection for the animal.

Rinpoche also states that during tsog, whether we are resting in contemplation or not we should aim to be present and refrain from accepting and rejecting, the point is to experience the food fully, taste, texture, consistency, colors and so on. The food is an offering, so the experience is meant to be free of our personal limitations etc.

There is also the aspect of Dzogchen which dispenses with the sentient and insentient dichotomy, so everything is seen as sentient, or perhaps free from such distinctions altogether. And in that case the fundamental nature of the meat is no different than anything else, and therefore any reason we could find to reject the meat is an expression of ignorance (in the ultimate sense).

Another point Rinpoche makes is that rejecting meat on the grounds that an animal died, while having no problem with eating grains, vegetables and fruit etc., is somewhat hypocritical due to the fact that countless sentient beings perish (such as small bugs) in the maintenance and cultivation of those fruits and vegetables. Especially nowadays with the methods implemented in modern industrial farming and so on. He also says that the animal is already dead by the time it is on your plate, so you might as well eat the meat with pure intentions and create an auspicious connection for the animal, no use in wasting the meat, because if you discard the meat then the animal died for nothing.

I'm vegetarian myself, have been for over 10 years, but I will eat meat at ganapuja and so on.
asunthatneversets

Postby heart » Fri May 30, 2014 7:47 am

odysseus wrote:
heart wrote:

/magnus

Do they have business, except for freeing Tibet? :thumbsup:

Yes, they are seriously very good at business. Just as they are good craftsmen they also know how to value their work. Old Tibetan things are exceedingly expensive for example.

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
heart

Return to Tibetan Buddhism