Jnana Sagara

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
pemachophel

Jnana Sagara

Post by pemachophel »

Can anyone tell me about the Deity Jnana Sagara in Tibetan Buddhism?

:namaste:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
conebeckham

Re: Jnana Sagara

Post by conebeckham »

I don't know of a JnanaSagara...but I know of a JinaSagara, Avalokiteshvara JinaSagara.....?? Maybe?
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Isn't Jnana Sagara Yeshe Tsogyal?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
krodha

Post by krodha »

dzogchungpa wrote:Isn't Jnana Sagara Yeshe Tsogyal?
She immediately came to mind when I saw this thread as well... it's how she is referred to in her mantra.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Sure, Jnana Sagara is a literal back translation of Yeshe Tsogyal, for sure.

Is she ever referred to by a Sanskrit name in texts, though? I've not seen it, but my exposure is minimal.....
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
reddust

Post by reddust »

pemachophel wrote:Can anyone tell me about the Deity Jnana Sagara in Tibetan Buddhism?

I know Jnana means actualized wisdom and related to the Vipassana nanas per wiki search. Sagara was a Vedic King. I don't know if this will help your search. I remember seeing this name but I can't remember where.

Jñāna: knowledge, a mode of prajna, characterized by decisive (niscita) understanding; also characterized as knowledge
that repeatedly discerns; knowledge realizes and comprehends, fully and thoroughly. http://abhidharmakosa.files.wordpress.c ... -7-web.pdf
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Yeshe Tshogyal, of course! Thank you very much. That totally fits the context. She's mentioned in Yumka Dechen Gyalmo which is a Yeshe Tshogyal sadhana.

Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”