Grants/Scholarships for Translator Training

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Grants/Scholarships for Translator Training

Postby Karma Jinpa » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:39 am

Was wondering if anyone knew of resources for the aspiring Tibetan translator, aside from the Khyentse Foundation & Padmakara Translation Group. Rigpa's website appears to be down at the moment, otherwise I'd add them to the list.

Any help and information would be greatly appreciated!
"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, it happens that a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་རཱ་ག་ཨ་སྱ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།
ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།

:namaste:
Karma Jinpa

Re: Grants/Scholarships for Translator Training

Postby Karma Jinpa » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:19 am

*Bump*

Rigpa's scholarship page is back up, so I'll be pursuing that now as well.

Does anyone know of other resources, even perhaps not specific to Buddhism or Tibetan, but simply geared towards helping fund foreign language studies and acquisition?
"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, it happens that a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་རཱ་ག་ཨ་སྱ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།
ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།

:namaste:
Karma Jinpa

Postby gad rgyangs » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:54 am

a job perhaps? :tongue:
Thoroughly tame your own mind.
This is (possibly) the teaching of Buddha.
gad rgyangs

Postby IdleChater » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:07 am

Karma Jinpa wrote:Was wondering if anyone knew of resources for the aspiring Tibetan translator, aside from the Khyentse Foundation & Padmakara Translation Group. Rigpa's website appears to be down at the moment, otherwise I'd add them to the list.

Have you looked at Naropa in Boulder?

They a have a good program and Boulder is home to several working translators. You'd also have the possibility of translating for visiting teachers when you're good enough. Boulder's pretty cool for Buddhists and finding a job wouldn't be too tough.
IdleChater

Postby Lay man » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:55 pm

Karma Jinpa wrote:Was wondering if anyone knew of resources for the aspiring Tibetan translator, aside from the Khyentse Foundation & Padmakara Translation Group. Rigpa's website appears to be down at the moment, otherwise I'd add them to the list.

Rangjung Yeshe is very well recognized internationally
Also......
Pulihari monastery has a ver good program under Khenpo Tsultrim Rinpoche....although I think due to his advanced age he does not teach there much any more.

I think if you are serious, going to Nepal is your best bet.
Lay man

Return to Tibetan Buddhism