The shapes of the sense faculties

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
dzogchungpa

The shapes of the sense faculties

Post by dzogchungpa »

I am reading "Gateway to Knowledge" by Mipham, volume 1, and on p.17 I came across the following:
The [shape of the] eye faculty is similar to [the round and blue shape of] the umaka [sesame/cumin] flower; the ear faculty is similar to [the shape of] a twisted roll of birch bark; the nose faculty is similar to [the shape of] parallel copper needles; the tongue faculty is similar to [the shape of] a crescent moon disc; and the body faculty is [all-covering] similar to the skin of the smooth-to-the-touch bird.
I have to admit, this doesn't make much sense to me. Can anyone explain this to me?

Here's the Tibetan:

mig gi dbang po zar ma'i me tog lta bu/ rna ba'i dbang po gro ga'i 'jor bu gcus pa lta bu/ sna'i dbang po zangs kyi mo khab gshibs pa lta bu/ lce'i dbang po zla ba bkas pa lta bu/ lus kyi dbang po bya reg na 'jam gyi pags pa lta bu'o
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Malcolm

Re: The shapes of the sense faculties

Post by Malcolm »

dzogchungpa wrote:I am reading "Gateway to Knowledge" by Mipham, volume 1, and on p.17 I came across the following:
The [shape of the] eye faculty is similar to [the round and blue shape of] the umaka [sesame/cumin] flower; the ear faculty is similar to [the shape of] a twisted roll of birch bark; the nose faculty is similar to [the shape of] parallel copper needles; the tongue faculty is similar to [the shape of] a crescent moon disc; and the body faculty is [all-covering] similar to the skin of the smooth-to-the-touch bird.
I have to admit, this doesn't make much sense to me. Can anyone explain this to me?

Here's the Tibetan:

mig gi dbang po zar ma'i me tog lta bu/ rna ba'i dbang po gro ga'i 'jor bu gcus pa lta bu/ sna'i dbang po zangs kyi mo khab gshibs pa lta bu/ lce'i dbang po zla ba bkas pa lta bu/ lus kyi dbang po bya reg na 'jam gyi pags pa lta bu'o

Yes, the actual sense organs exist as patches of atoms on the back of the respective physical structure which have various shapes.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Malcolm wrote:Yes, the actual sense organs exist as patches of atoms on the back of the respective physical structure which have various shapes.
So, are you saying that there is, e.g., a crescent moon shaped patch on the back of the tongue that serves as the actual organ of taste, at least according to abhidharma? That sounds strange to me. Is this supposed to be known through observation or what?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
byamspa

Post by byamspa »

:popcorn:
Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

dzogchungpa wrote:
Malcolm wrote:Yes, the actual sense organs exist as patches of atoms on the back of the respective physical structure which have various shapes.
So, are you saying that there is, e.g., a crescent moon shaped patch on the back of the tongue that serves as the actual organ of taste, at least according to abhidharma? That sounds strange to me. Is this supposed to be known through observation or what?
Bump
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

dzogchungpa wrote:
So, are you saying that there is, e.g., a crescent moon shaped patch on the back of the tongue that serves as the actual organ of taste, at least according to abhidharma?
Yes, precisely.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

OK, that's kind of weird. Is this patch supposed to be something that is actually observable?

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”