Does Phowa create a hole in the cranium?

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Re: Does Phowa create a hole in the cranium?

Postby smcj » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:32 pm

As you say, that scenario if for an accomplished, a.k.a. "professional" meditator. In the version I was taught (for non-meditators) you've got to have time to do the practice just before death.

Garchen Rinpoche said in his last teachings that it is enough that you can recall Amitabha, no visualization or recitation is required if you have made the pathway clear and have achieved accomplishment in the practice.[/quote]
Which version was he talking about? Was it the extremely advanced and secret 6 Yogas of Naropa version, or the version for non-meditators?
A human being has his limits. And thus, in every conceivable way, with every possible means, he tries to make the teaching enter into his own limits. ChNN
smcj

Postby KonchokZoepa » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:33 pm

the drikung phowa, so that for non meditators.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
KonchokZoepa

Postby smcj » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:38 pm

KonchokZoepa wrote:the drikung phowa, so that for non meditators.

Huh. Well, then there seems to be a lack of consensus between traditions or between teachers, because that's not what I was taught. But just for insurance, if I'm about to be hit by a train I'll try to remember Amitaba.
A human being has his limits. And thus, in every conceivable way, with every possible means, he tries to make the teaching enter into his own limits. ChNN
smcj

Postby KonchokZoepa » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:04 am

smcj wrote:

Huh. Well, then there seems to be a lack of consensus between traditions or between teachers, because that's not what I was taught. But just for insurance, if I'm about to be hit by a train I'll try to remember Amitaba.

they will upload the teachings after the retreat. you can listen to it yourself. and for the sake that im not butchering what Garchen Rinpoche says, when i re listen to the teachings i will correct any mistakes if there is something to correct with what i wrote.
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

KonchokZoepa

Postby smcj » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:10 am

KonchokZoepa wrote:
smcj wrote:

they will upload the teachings after the retreat. you can listen to it yourself. and for the sake that im not butchering what Garchen Rinpoche says, when i re listen to the teachings i will correct any mistakes if there is something to correct with what i wrote.

So they will be available on the internet? That seems like it is being pretty liberal with the teachings.

The different instructions could be tradition based. Actually the Nyingma version used Vajravarahi as the yidam, not Amitaba.
smcj

Postby KonchokZoepa » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:23 am

yes Garchen Rinpoche is quite openly giving empowerments and teachings through the internet. i first received the transmission last summer in Ladakh, from his HH the Chetsang Rinpoche, and now again with teachings from Garchen Rinpoche. they will upload the teachings after the retreat. you can find the link to the ustream channel from http://www.drikung.ru

i dont know if you know, but in drikung phowa you generate yourself first as vajrayogini and then transfer to amitabha.

and i believe you can receive the transmission of the drikung phowa from the teachings also, and if not, Garchen rinpoche authorized persons who have received the transmission before to give it to others with theyre language, that is in english, so if anyone wants the Drikung phowa transmission i can happily give it over skype.
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

KonchokZoepa

Postby Simon E. » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:50 am

smcj wrote:

Consensus between traditions and teachers cannot be our guide in many areas of dharma... ;)
Simon E.

Postby KonchokZoepa » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:06 am

this is what it says in the drikung phowa sadhana that i have.

''If we receive the proper phowa transmission when alive or have the experience of practice; then at the time of death, even if there is no lama to perform phowa, just by focusing our mind at the brahma door, the consciousness will exit from there and even the very sinful one will attain Buddhahood forcefully.'' this is a very pure intstruction received from the former great teachers
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

KonchokZoepa

Previous

Return to Tibetan Buddhism