Anger

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Anger

Postby Gyaltsen Tashi » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:25 am

Are there anger management techniques specific to Vajrayana?

Regards,
Gyaltsen Tashi
Gyaltsen Tashi

Re: Anger

Postby Adamantine » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:05 pm

Gyaltsen Tashi wrote:Are there anger management techniques specific to Vajrayana?

Regards,
Gyaltsen Tashi

Yes.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby shel » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:27 pm

I could be mistaken of course, but I believe Gyaltsen Tashi may want to know what those techniques are and just if they exist.
shel

Postby Adamantine » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:29 pm

shel wrote:I could be mistaken of course, but I believe Gyaltsen Tashi may want to know what those techniques are and just if they exist.

Hi shel, it's not really appropriate for me to give vajrayana teachings, that's for a qualified Lama to do, and usually not over the internet. Anyway, the question was if there were such techniques. If you want to give a different answer than I did, you are more than welcome.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby shel » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:43 pm

I see. And thanks for the multi-syllable answer this time around. I trust it did not breach any significant social codes.
shel

Postby michaelb » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:47 pm

Gyaltsen Tashi wrote:Are there anger management techniques specific to Vajrayana?
Yes. Generally, sadhana practices are supposed to deal with all unskillful mental states, including anger. Wrathful deities are said to be particularly good for dealing with anger and one often hears stories of some angry person going into Mahakala, Vajrakila or Dorje Drollo retreat and coming out completely calm, with no more bad temper or aggression. (I've heard this story about all three of the above mentioned deities.)
A famous line contained in many Vajrakila tantras and sadhanas is "Vajra wrath cuts off hatred." This has many meanings but also points to one benefit of practising Vajrakila.
michaelb

Postby Gyaltsen Tashi » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:18 am

Does one need stability in the generation stage?

michaelb wrote:
Yes. Generally, sadhana practices are supposed to deal with all unskillful mental states, including anger. Wrathful deities are said to be particularly good for dealing with anger and one often hears stories of some angry person going into Mahakala, Vajrakila or Dorje Drollo retreat and coming out completely calm, with no more bad temper or aggression. (I've heard this story about all three of the above mentioned deities.)
A famous line contained in many Vajrakila tantras and sadhanas is "Vajra wrath cuts off hatred." This has many meanings but also points to one benefit of practising Vajrakila.

Regards,
Gyaltsen Tashi
Gyaltsen Tashi

Postby Adamantine » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:41 am

Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby Gyaltsen Tashi » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:45 am

I got into a fight the past week, and I got my nose broken. I am really a disgrace to the tradition.

Regards,
Gyaltsen Tashi
Gyaltsen Tashi

Postby michaelb » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:52 am

Gyaltsen Tashi wrote:Does one need stability in the generation stage?

Sorry, I just noticed this. Yes, ideally, but do your best and don't beat yourself up over any imperfections along the way. Nobody's perfect. Compassion and love for yourself is a good start.
michaelb

Return to Tibetan Buddhism