HH Dalai Lama requests Prayers for Tibet

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
JKhedrup

HH Dalai Lama requests Prayers for Tibet

Post by JKhedrup »

http://www.lhaksam.com/important-announ ... ad-stated/

Important Announcement! His Holiness the Dalai Lama had stated

His Holiness the Dalai Lama had stated, at the Drepung monastery, that his holiness would be meditating in Ladakh from August 1st for 3 weeks, during which period he would like the mass to recite the following:

Om Mane Padme Hun 1000 times per day, Sherap Ngingpo twice a day and Phagthoe once a day.

This would be beneficial considering the present situation in Tibet. The board decided to have this session at the Tibetan America Culture hall of New York from August 1st for 3 weeks, everyday from 6pm to 8pm.

We would like to request our community to join us, in the solidarity, for our common cause which is to pray for the current situation in our country. Tibet.

Should anyone not to be able to attend the prayer session, please pray at home and give us your count.

-Lhaksam
JKhedrup

Re: HH Dalai Lama requests Prayers for Tibet

Post by JKhedrup »

For those of you who are not familiar with Tibetan texts, Sherab Nyingpo is the Heart Sutra and Phagtoe is a prayer to Avalokiteshvara.

Phagtoe (wylie 'phags bstod) is a "Praise to the Noble One" , which is an abbreviation of "Praise and Requests to the Noble Great Compassionate One (Chenrezig), a Cloud of Benefit and Happiness". This prayer was composed I believe by the the 7th Dalai Lama. It is available in many Tibetan prayer books, especially compilations of common prayers, but I have yet to find an English translation.

For those who read Tibetan Phagthoe is available here: http://www.tsongchu.com/Article/Buddhis ... 52875.html
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Thank you for this information.
So there are many reasons to recite Om Mani Pem Hung these days...
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

JKhedrup wrote: Phagtoe (wylie 'phags bstod) is a "Praise to the Noble One" , which is an abbreviation of "Praise and Requests to the Noble Great Compassionate One (Chenrezig), a Cloud of Benefit and Happiness". This prayer was composed I believe by the the 7th Dalai Lama.

For those who read Tibetan Phagthoe is available here: http://www.tsongchu.com/Article/Buddhis ... 52875.html
The Tibetan says that it was composed by the 7th Dalai Lama. Is it possible that it is in the Nyungne that he composed?

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Punya

Post by Punya »

Ayu wrote: So there are many reasons to recite Om Mani Pem Hung these days...
Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche is giving teachings in Hong Kong and Taiwan on The Play of Compassion in August and has made 100,000 recitations a pre-requisite for attendance or for listening to the webcast.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

:smile: AND: within two month HHDL will come to our city, he will talk about childrens education in a hall and i will sit in row number 8 (!!!). And he will visit the school of my children to talk with them. (!!!!)
That's why i feel like reciting as much om mani peme hungs as possible to welcome him. :smile:
Punya

Post by Punya »

How wonderful for you and your children Ayu! :smile:
~Chatral Rinpoche
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

Kirtu,

Definitely possible, but I am in Nova Scotia at the moment and away from my books. I seem to remember the "Po" praise and other key prayers from the text, but don't remember this one. I recited it this morning from the Sera Mey zhal 'don book, so it must be commonly recited by Tibetans. I am not sure why it hasn't been translated yet...

Ayu- have a great time at His Holiness' event. You are so fortunate!
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

The Phagtoe Praise ('phags bstod) has now been translated by Upāsaka Laylung Dhawa Dhondup (Acharya). A friend of mine posted it on facebook.

You can find the translation here, it starts with Tibetan script but includes the full Tibetan phonetics and English translation further down in the document. I hope it is useful.

http://www.dechenlingpress.org/main/wp- ... nrezig.pdf
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

JKhedrup wrote:The Phagtoe Praise ('phags bstod) has now been translated by Upāsaka Laylung Dhawa Dhondup (Acharya). A friend of mine posted it on facebook.

http://www.dechenlingpress.org/main/wp- ... nrezig.pdf
Thanks! That text is not in the Seventh Dalai Lama's Nyung Ney sadhana. Some of the phrasing I have never heard before.

Kirt

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Jangchup Donden

Post by Jangchup Donden »

Thanks so much! Now I can do everything. :)
Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

Thank you venerable!
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

So one must read the Heart Sutra twice a day?
MalaBeads

Post by MalaBeads »

Punya wrote:
Ayu wrote: So there are many reasons to recite Om Mani Pem Hung these days...
Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche is giving teachings in Hong Kong and Taiwan on The Play of Compassion in August and has made 100,000 recitations a pre-requisite for attendance or for listening to the webcast.
I'm wondering where this number comes from as a prerequisite for attending this talk. I received two notices announcing this teaching, both from a Siddhartha's Intent center and both said 10,000. And that's what I have done.

:namaste:
I am well aware of my idiocy. I am also very aware that you too are an idiot. Therein lies our mutuality.
deff

Post by deff »

the talk today is in Hong Kong and only lists 10,000 as the requirement. another talk with the same topic name is scheduled for later this month in Taiwan and lists 100,000 as the requirement. I don't know why there's a difference, but apparently today's talk only requires 10,000 (which is what I've done too) :smile:
Punya

Post by Punya »

deff wrote:the talk today is in Hong Kong and only lists 10,000 as the requirement. another talk with the same topic name is scheduled for later this month in Taiwan and lists 100,000 as the requirement. I don't know why there's a difference, but apparently today's talk only requires 10,000 (which is what I've done too) :smile:
Sorry deff, I did get confused. It's great you've done the 10,000 and will be listening to the talk.
~Chatral Rinpoche
MalaBeads

Post by MalaBeads »

deff wrote:the talk today is in Hong Kong and only lists 10,000 as the requirement. another talk with the same topic name is scheduled for later this month in Taiwan and lists 100,000 as the requirement. I don't know why there's a difference, but apparently today's talk only requires 10,000 (which is what I've done too) :smile:
Thank you for the clarification.
I am well aware of my idiocy. I am also very aware that you too are an idiot. Therein lies our mutuality.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Nosta wrote:So one must read the Heart Sutra twice a day?
The request is to recite it twice a day if possible.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”