Tibetan Calendar

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Tibetan Calendar

Post by kirtu »

Dechen Norbu wrote:How do I run it, Kirt? When I click on it, it gives me the option to extract it with all allzip. :shrug:

Btw, my OS is Windows 7.

There are many solutions but I'm trying to keep the solution as untechy as possible. This means that hopefully it is not a security issue.

The easiest way to get it running - assuming that Java is not totally locked down and that the jar file is also not locked down by default, is to right click on the jar icon (this also assumes that W7 is not toally different from Windows XP - I have seen some differences so hopefully this is not one of them) - this will bring up a list of actions - the one that you want is
"Open with >" - select that option and a list of programs will be displayed. Look for one that says "Java Platform". If that does not come up, do not select any other programs but go to the option at the bottom that says "Choose Program" and select the Java runtime (Java Platform) from that list.

If nothing comes up then we can still probably lanuch the jar file but it will take a little bit of work. I cannot put out a C# version (which will definitely run on your machine - again unless it's a security thing) this week. But I might be able to convert the application to a Windows native executable (maybe, maybe not, because of the 3rd party libraries it uses).

See if this will resolve the issue.

Thanks!

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Kunga Lhamo

Post by Kunga Lhamo »

It works perfectly in my Windows 7 machine with the latest version of Java. I clicked and the calendar opened, all the information was there and Windows didn't even flinch. Even at this stage is is very useful, it now has a permanent spot on the desktop. Thank you Kirt!

There's useful information on this on-line calendar: http://www.fpmt.org/resources/dharma-dates.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but it only shows 3 months, one can't plan ahead.

Lucy
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

Didn't work for me. I also have the java up to date. I have no clue about what's going on... :techproblem:
username

Post by username »

Nice work Kirtu. Need java installed first for it to work. http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is only one Tibetan Buddhist calendar in the world that depending on your date of birth (year sign) tells you if a day is good or bad (varies for different people) and what you should do, special events and more. It took an expert years to finish it and his name is ChNNR and it is Dzogchen Community's printed calendar, soon to be available for iPhone/Android phones and then Windows/Macc.
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

I'm frustrated. :tantrum:
Why on Earth can't I get it to work?! :shrug:
:lol:
Kunga Lhamo

Post by Kunga Lhamo »

I can think of a number of things that may be stopping the file from opening. One is the firewall. Comodo Firewall gives me a series of warning messages when I click the jar file and I have to go through them before the file opens. I don't know how the Windows Firewall works, but you may have to find a way that it will accept the file as safe and allow you to open it.

It could also depend on what version of Windows 7 you have. The Basic Home version does not seem to allow changes or additions to the Desktop. What happens if you save the file in some folder and click from there?

Another thing to try: right click on the file name and select "Properties" . Under the "General" tab in the window that pops up, at the bottom, there is a button to "Unblock" the file. It could be that the file is blocked in your computer.

I hope some of this works!

L
Madeliaette
Location: Currently in Sussex, England. Formerly in Wollongong, Australia.

Post by Madeliaette »

There is only one Tibetan Buddhist calendar in the world that depending on your date of birth (year sign) tells you if a day is good or bad (varies for different people) and what you should do, special events and more.
This sounds like something useful, also - but the calendar Kirtu has created will be auseful something in the meantime! My wall calendar has a few things, but not the varioius Buddha days with multiplied merits which Kirtu's cal. has...
Hoping you solve the problem(s) soon DN - :twothumbsup:
seraphim

Post by seraphim »

Thank you very much Kirt :twothumbsup: Just to let you know that its working perfectly on a Mac!
username

Post by username »

Madeliaette wrote: ... meantime! ...
Like I said the TB calendar which protects or helps people from avoiding/doing certain things, surgery marriage practices(avoiding naga & more) etc. etc., on bad or auspicious days for certain things and much more, which took many years of very hard expert work by Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche has been available in print for some years. It is UNIQUE and frighteningly and miraculously accurate in my experience even looking at the day's entry for the first time at the end of a day. For planning major events it is indispensable as many unfortunately found out and now live by it. No other calendar tells you what a day is like, hence help you plan/avoid, depending on your year of birth sign. Many people in different continents reading this thread on Calendars should not be under the imprsession that they can not have it yet. Links to webshops in USA, Italy & Austria:
http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=482" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.shangshungstore.org/index.ph ... tail&p=419" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ssi-austria.at/shop/shope51.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

At last! :jumping:
It works! All I had to do was going to allzip and disassociate the program from jar files. Then by simply clicking the icon it worked like a charm. :woohoo:
How could I miss such a simple step?... :zzz:
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

username wrote: Like I said the TB calendar which protects or helps people from avoiding/doing certain things, surgery marriage practices(avoiding naga & more) etc. etc., on bad or auspicious days for certain things and much more, which took many years of very hard expert work by Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche has been available in print for some years. It is UNIQUE and frighteningly and miraculously accurate in my experience even looking at the day's entry for the first time at the end of a day. For planning major events it is indispensable as many unfortunately found out and now live by it. No other calendar tells you what a day is like, hence help you plan/avoid, depending on your year of birth sign.
We can add the basic good day/bad day for prayer flag raising and general in/auspicious days, etc. and could personalize it as well but as you noted to do this in detail (other than the generalized versions) requires considerable Tibetan astrological knowledge so we will probably never get that in depth with this little desktop application. I'll have to check out CNNR's calendar.

Kirt

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Dechen Norbu wrote:At last! :jumping:
It works! All I had to do was going to allzip and disassociate the program from jar files. Then by simply clicking the icon it worked like a charm. :woohoo:
How could I miss such a simple step?... :zzz:
Excellent! Glad it's working.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

I was going to put an update out this morning but the layout under Windows appears more skewed than I expected so I have to work on that a bit.

I dropped Tara practice days and the 12 Guardian Deity practice notation and the dakini day on the 5th of the Tibetan months as I could not find documentation for those days on other Tibetan calendars that I have access to. I plan on adding a selectable parinirvana days by lineage shortly. I would also like to being internationalization as soon as possible including Tibetan, Mongolian and Chinese but will need help with that. We can add non-astrological features as people like. If astrological data gets rolled in, then that will be further down the road.

Thanks Dechen and Madeliaette!

I did put an updated version of the calendar, ver 0.15 on my website this afternoon. The layout on my Windows machine is better and going to a Tibetan date was added - including doubled days (if you want to go to the actual doubled date, add a b to the date).

Kirt
Last edited by kirtu on Wed May 18, 2011 12:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

You are doing an excellent work, Kirt. Thank you very much! :namaste:
Madeliaette
Location: Currently in Sussex, England. Formerly in Wollongong, Australia.

Post by Madeliaette »

^ agreed - I would never manage to do something like you have done, myself! :namaste:
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

If anyone has any suggestions for the desktop Tibetan Calendar please let me know. My work/financial situation appears to be resolving for the better (and I hope that finally does go through soon) and I can add this to my list of projects to focus on.

One of the things I was going to add is Mongolian, Tibetan and Chinese language capability. We can add Portuguese, Spanish, French, German (I might just go ahead and add German on my own), Dutch and whatever else might be helpful.

I was also going to add selectable lineage dates including Parinirvana dates.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

This is really wonderful and useful.
I sure do hope we'll get to see a version for 2139.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Does anyone have the dates and details for the 11th and 12th months of the Water Dragon year coming up? I'm getting the ecalendar I did last year out the door as soon as possible but the calendar I'm using right now only runs to Dec 2012.

Thanks!

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Virgo

Post by Virgo »

In regards to the calander. You guys might want to check out this link:

http://www.kalacakra.org/calendar/kcal.htm

In addition, this one:

http://www.kalacakra.org/calendar/tibast01.htm
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

Kirtu,

The calendar for last year was so helpful, thank you so much.
I'm eager to see water dragon 2139.
Hope it's coming out soon.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”