The process of rebirth as a human being

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

The process of rebirth as a human being

Postby alpha » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:23 pm

Could someone recommend me some reading materials on the process of rebirth as a human from a tantric or dzogchen perspective ?
I am specifically interested in the stage or more precisely in the last bardo phase where the conciousness seeks embodiment and how that takes place.All the details about how and why this happens.

So far i couldnt find any in depth material on this aspect of rebirth and i am not familiar with bardo teachings either.

Thanks
AOM
alpha

Re: The process of rebirth as a human being

Postby kirtu » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:27 pm

alpha wrote:Could someone recommend me some reading materials on the process of rebirth as a human from a tantric or dzogchen perspective ?
I am specifically interested in the stage or more precisely in the last bardo phase where the conciousness seeks embodiment and how that takes place.All the details about how and why this happens.

So far i couldnt find any in depth material on this aspect of rebirth and i am not familiar with bardo teachings either.

Thanks

Lama Lodro - Bardo Teachings.

Basically one takes rebirth in the human realm because one has not been liberated upon encountering a series of visions. The teaching asserts that all beings will experience these visions but will experience them differently (with one senior student claiming that for most people these experiences will pass like a flash or an incoherent blur). Finally a series of visions arise that are choices between two differnet lights. These are the manifestation of the six realms in a sequence from god realm to the hell realms. The consciousness selects a light at some point although if I have remembered correctly if you choose the correct light of the two lights you attain enlightenment (so it's like with the god realm - one light is actually a Buddha light and one light is the god realm - if you select the god realm you are reborn there - if you select the Buddha light at this point you attain enlightenment, if you select neither the vision for the demi-god lights arises and so forth). However I'll need to check this point (but I'm pretty sure of it). The Buddha lights are always sort of dim and the samsara realm lights appear as desirable. So in the end, rebirth in the human realm is karmic phenomena - you were attracted to the human realm light. This applies to beings with no control over rebirth.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby Koji » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:26 pm

alpha wrote:Could someone recommend me some reading materials on the process of rebirth as a human from a tantric or dzogchen perspective ?

Thanks

The Twelve Fetters are all about rebirth.
Koji

Postby Nosta » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:46 pm

The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying, from Songyal Rinpoche.

http://www.holybooks.com/wp-content/uploads/The-Tibetan-Book-of-Living-and-Dying.pdf
Nosta

Return to Tibetan Buddhism