Candamaharosana & Sexual Practice

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Candamaharosana & Sexual Practice

Postby Vajrabhijna » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:51 pm

Hello friends.

:namaste:

I have a question concerning an alleged quote in the Candamaharosana about, well, a ritualized threesome, which appears in the book "Sexual Secrets: Alchemy of Ecstasy" by Nik Douglas & Penny Slinger.

One woman, coming from the disc of the moon, is enjoyed by another similar one. The third person is different from these two and should balance their forces. By enjoying together, they all become free from decay and death. The right and the left blend together in the Central Pathway. He stimulates both; they arouse each other and combine with him. The two moons are always filled with nectar; the sun is ever burning.

I have Christopher Starr George's translation (which is cited in the bibliography of the above book), but I cannot find this passage or anything remotely similar. It's possible that I am [repeatedly] missing it, or that the author in question - Nik Douglas, may have distorted the meaning to fit an agenda or even outright fabricated. Naturally, one would prefer this not to be the case, yet sadly it seems common as the spiritual supermarket converges on sexual lifestyle accessories.

So my question, in a nutshell is, does this actually refer to anything in the Candamaharosana, and more broadly, are there any practices which involve more than 2 participants in a such a manner?

:namaste:
Vajrabhijna

Re: Candamaharosana & Sexual Practice

Postby tingdzin » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:40 pm

Without seeing the original, I'd guess that this is referring to the two side channels and the central channel. Also, I've seen many depictions of Candramaharosana, and in none of them does he have more than one partner. Really, though, tantric language is indecipherable without a teacher who knows the tradition. I like that book, but I wouldn't take it as an authentic resource too much.
tingdzin

Postby Vajrabhijna » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:16 pm

Namaste Tingzin, thank you for the reply.

The problem with that interpretation is that the lunar & solar channels/energies/etc. almost always refer to the left and right channels - it is quite irregular to consider both of them as lunar as far as I know.

I'm beginning to believe the above quote was fabricated wholesale.

Namaste
Vajrabhijna

Postby Konchog1 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:10 pm

Vajrabhijna wrote:Namaste Tingzin, thank you for the reply.

The problem with that interpretation is that the lunar & solar channels/energies/etc. almost always refer to the left and right channels - it is quite irregular to consider both of them as lunar as far as I know.

I'm beginning to believe the above quote was fabricated wholesale.

Namaste
Usually people quote from Christopher Starr George's translation since it's the only English translation. That quote doesn't appear in it.

This doesn't mean that the above quote is fake. But it makes it more possible.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Konchog1

Return to Tibetan Buddhism