bit of confusion - 5 colors

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

bit of confusion - 5 colors

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Got a practice for five colors/5 dhyani Buddhas..it seems like some places the colors for Vairocana/Buddha family and Akshobya/Vajra family are reversed from my notes.

Is there some variance or did I just write stuff down wrong? I think I have seen them reversed also different places on the web.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Knotty Veneer

Re: bit of confusion - 5 colors

Post by Knotty Veneer »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:Got a practice for five colors/5 dhyani Buddhas..it seems like some places the colors for Vairocana/Buddha family and Akshobya/Vajra family are reversed from my notes.

Is there some variance or did I just write stuff down wrong? I think I have seen them reversed also different places on the web.
Vairocana is usually white and Akshobya blue. Never heard of other colors for these - what tradition is the practice from?
This is not the wrong life.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Knotty Veneer wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:Got a practice for five colors/5 dhyani Buddhas..it seems like some places the colors for Vairocana/Buddha family and Akshobya/Vajra family are reversed from my notes.

Vairocana is usually white and Akshobya blue. Never heard of other colors for these - what tradition is the practice from?
Sakya.

That is how the practice was, Vairocana white and Akshobya blue, but we didn't spend alot of time talking about the atrributes of each Buddha, posion, etc. so I wanted a quick reference and now i'm just looking up stuff on the web and finding ones where Vajra and Buddha families are reversed...and course I want to do it as intended heh. I think I have it right, was just wondering why some are reversed.

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2010/05/ ... a-v-lewis/
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... AQ&dur=317

-Khunu Lama
michaelb

Post by michaelb »

I think, as tantra developed and the Vajra family became more important, Akshobya or other vajra family heruka went to the centre of the mandala and became white. I'm sure this is how Snellgrove explained it, anyway. I think he also says Vajrayana only became a term for secret mantra once the vajra family became dominant. Vairochana is only really dominant in the lower tantras, if I remember rightly.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

michaelb wrote:I think, as tantra developed and the Vajra family became more important, Akshobya or other vajra family heruka went to the centre of the mandala and became white. I'm sure this is how Snellgrove explained it, anyway. I think he also says Vajrayana only became a term for secret mantra once the vajra family became dominant. Vairochana is only really dominant in the lower tantras, if I remember rightly.
Hmm, but generally Vairochana is white and Akshobya is blue. Including in HYT. So while those links might be correct, Johnny's notes are correct too.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
heart

Post by heart »

Yes, the white and the blue can change place, it is quite common.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

heart wrote: Yes, the white and the blue can change place, it is quite common.

/magnus
Quite true. And I believe that in some cycles, whereas yellow Ratnasambhava has a yellow light (and red+red, green+green), Akshobhya and Vairocana can be blue radiating white light and white radiating blue light.

So they can vary, it's not that you got it wrong. It's therefore very important to check exactly what is in the teaching you have been given. Go back to the source if necessary.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

"Vairocana is not just the color blue, Vajrasattva is not just the color white in that sequence, but Vairocana arises with all five colors; blue, white, red, yellow, and green."

-- Vajrasattva's Heart Mirror Tantra
heart

Post by heart »

Malcolm wrote:"Vairocana is not just the color blue, Vajrasattva is not just the color white in that sequence, but Vairocana arises with all five colors; blue, white, red, yellow, and green."

-- Vajrasattva's Heart Mirror Tantra
Nice to see you Malcolm, good quote. :smile:

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Well, thanks all, I know how to do the practice as I received it now, which I guess is the important thing. Interesting to know some possible historical reasons behind the switch too though.

-Khunu Lama

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”