Serkyem

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Serkyem

Post by Grigoris »

Well that's it. My serkyem is now officially wrecked. Faulty from the beginning, the point where the cup screws into the base has now broken and every time I fill it the liquids pour out into the bowl.

Unfortunately I am currently penniless so I am asking: if anybody has a spare serkyem hanging around, new or used, shiny or battered, any size and shape, even if it is just the cup/chalice, and cares to donate it, I am willing/capable of paying the postage costs.

I promise to put it to good (daily) use and include the donor in the prayers.

Thanks! :smile:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
heart

Re: Serkyem

Post by heart »

Don't hesitate to use a wine glass with a nice plate below Greg, it is a lot better than a broken serkyem.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I've been trying the past week or so to find a brass wine glass that "matches" the size of the offering bowl, but it seems that they are almost as expensive a buying a whole serkyem set (and they have been used in most instances for who knows what?). That's why I am resorting to "begging". I figure it'll give people the chance to accumulate merit through donating too.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

A beautiful crystal glass cup (think champagne glass) and nice glass bowl are something I have seen for example the monk´s tours in Europe use when they forgot their Serkyem and needed to use something for the offering.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Yeah a glass wine glass is fine, you don't need it to be metal. You can make do like this until you can afford a proper serkyem again. Or you can buy some metal glue. . .
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Thank you all for your advice!

I tried welding it and using metal glue, but it didn't work. The metal glue was pretty awful/unsightly. Anyway, if you had a guest of honour at your home would you offer them food and beverages from broken glasses and plates? I tend to serve my "normal" guests with the best I have, so excuse me if I want something special/unique for offering to the protectors.

Thing is though that it wasn't offers of advice I was after, but the offering of a serkyem! :tongue:

Thanks nonetheless though! :smile:

Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

gregkavarnos wrote:Thank you all for your advice!

I tried welding it and using metal glue, but it didn't work. The metal glue was pretty awful/unsightly. Anyway, if you had a guest of honour at your home would you offer them food and beverages from broken glasses and plates? I tend to serve my "normal" guests with the best I have, so excuse me if I want something special/unique for offering to the protectors.

Thing is though that it wasn't offers of advice I was after, but the offering of a serkyem! :tongue:

Thanks nonetheless though! :smile:
I don't think it would be very inexpensive to ship a serkyem from usa to greece. . .
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

It would be less inexpensive :thinking: than paying for AND shipping a serkyem from the US to Greece, coz that's the other option. A $15 serkyem (the cheapest I can find) is suddenly catapulted to at least $25 after postage costs are added.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Thank you to everybody for their support. I received two offers for a serkyem via private message (as well as the advice here in the thread) and so this thread no longer serves any purpose.

Thank you again to everybody.
:namaste:

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”