Dzongsar Khyentse's Advice for Social Media

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Nilasarasvati
Location: Trāyastriṃśa. Just kidding. What a cool sanksrit word, huh?

Re: Dzongsar Khyentse's Advice for Social Media

Post by Nilasarasvati »

You cannot protect human beings (or secrets) endlessly. It cannot be done. Of course, there will be mistakes, setbacks, errors, etc. And this is all a part of learning. Join the human race. The open human race.

We do our best. As long as our best includes heart, well, thats the best we can do. Being a control freak doesn't work anymore. And that's the way it is.

All the best to you and to control freaks everywhere!

I'm not suggesting the cone of silence is the only way to talk about the Vajrayana. Nor am I worried that "the secrets" are gonna get out--I'm not trying to "control the information." My main concern is with the apparent flippance and disrespect that come across sometimes when students of Mahamudra, Dzogchen, etc. are talking about how their practice is the most sublime and makes all the other paths look pathetic, or how they lack the need for the pettiness of Pratimoksa vows, etc.

I'm asking people to consider their audience. Even the most "fundamentalist" Dzogpachenpo Lama would not spout off about how much more sublime his yana was in front of a bunch of Lay Vietnamese Buddhists or a bunch of Indian Sadhus..at least, not unless they were really really ripe to hear it and he was a realized being.
Nilasarasvati
Location: Trāyastriṃśa. Just kidding. What a cool sanksrit word, huh?

Post by Nilasarasvati »

P.S. much of the "secrecy" is for our benefit as practitioners. It makes us treasure, contemplate, and practice the teachings. It keeps the samaya with the Dakinis and Dharmapalas strong. It's got less and less over time to do with protecting the "unwashed" and more and more to do with our own integrity in holding the teachings as the most priceless and fragile of treasures.
MalaBeads

Post by MalaBeads »

Nilasarasvati wrote: the apparent flippance and disrespect that come across sometimes when students of Mahamudra, Dzogchen, etc. are talking about how their practice is the most sublime and makes all the other paths look pathetic, or how they lack the need for the pettiness of Pratimoksa vows, etc.
I haven't seen anyone here say these things. And if someone implied this, i missed it.

Next time you see this happening, it might be good to respond directly to the person.

That way, your mind can remain at peace.

Cheers.
I am well aware of my idiocy. I am also very aware that you too are an idiot. Therein lies our mutuality.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”