The Longing Melody of Faith

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Cinnabar

The Longing Melody of Faith

Post by Cinnabar »

On p. 171 of his Cascading Waterfall of Nectar, Thinley Norbu Rinpoche quotes a prayer to Yeshe Tsogyal called The Longing Melody of Faith by Mipham. dad pa'i sdung dbyang.

Does anyone have any information about this?
pemachophel

Re: The Longing Melody of Faith

Post by pemachophel »

Interesting, I just typed in your Wylie title and got "no results" back.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
yeshegyaltsen

Post by yeshegyaltsen »

The spelling is wrong. it should be dad pa'i gdung dbyangs. The full title is mkha' 'gro'i rgyal mo ye shes mtsho rgyal la gsol 'debs dad pa'i gdung dbyangs. Not sure what you would like to know other than what you've already mentioned that it's a prayer to Yeshe Tsogyal composed by Mipham.
Cinnabar

Post by Cinnabar »

Sorry for the typos. It was a struggle with autocorrect on the phone. I was subdued by my own ignorance.

I am always curious where these texts come from. If they're part of a larger collection, written for a particular purpose, used in a particular context.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Cinnabar wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:21 pm Sorry for the typos. It was a struggle with autocorrect on the phone. I was subdued by my own ignorance.

I am always curious where these texts come from. If they're part of a larger collection, written for a particular purpose, used in a particular context.
I don’t know about this particular text, though I’d imagine the purpose would be to propitiate the blessings of the Wisdom Dakini, Yeshe Tsogyal. In case you’re not already familiar: Mipham Rinpoche was a vastly prolific writer, as well as an incomparable scholar and yogi. I’ve heard him referred to (by those who know Tibetan language well) as the Shakespeare of Tibet. Maybe it would help with context to see this small sample of translations of his collected works: https://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-masters/mipham/
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”