YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Walking meditation, inside vs. outside - Dhamma Wheel

Walking meditation, inside vs. outside

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Where do you usually practise walking meditation?

inside
33%
outside
27%
about 50:50 inside:outside
40%

Total votes: 15

David2

Walking meditation, inside vs. outside

Postby David2 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:11 am

Where do you usually practise walking meditation, inside a house or outside at fresh air?

I try to summarize the pros of each:

Pros for walking inside:
-Less distractions
-You don't have to worry about people talking to you
-You can walk as slowly as you like without the worry that people will look at you in a strange way or will talk to you.

Pros for walking outside:
-Fresh air
-Light (if daytime), nature (if it is near)

Which of the arguments are the most important for you? Maybe you have additional arguments?

Euclid

Re: Walking meditation, inside vs. outside

Postby Euclid » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:54 am

I do my walking meditation outside, as I walk to and from university each day (40 minutes each way.) If I'm inside I may as well do sitting meditation, and I might as well use that transit time to get my meditate on!

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:59 pm

My experience is that walking meditation in different circumstances gives rise to different experiences. Walking inside in a quiet place allows the observation of subtle movement and sensations in the feet and legs. Walking outside generally involves more external stimulations. When I'm on a retreat I like to do formalized walking both inside and outside, and I also appreciate the experiences when "just" walking from place to place, where there is the opportunity to observe the arising of perception, feeling, etc... as various objects come into view.

:anjali:
Mike

phalanyani

Postby phalanyani » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:15 pm

The question should be where, when and how can walking meditation done most mindful and alert. if the place is quiet, with a only few flies, mosquitoes and so on, then outside is good. if outdoor is busy and noisy it's better to do walking inside. walking if done correctly and mindful can lead to enlightenment as in the case of ven. Ananda. So it should not be underestimated nor should a nice walk outside be declared as walking meditation, even if done mindfully.

Euclid

Postby Euclid » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:45 pm

phalanyani

Postby phalanyani » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:10 pm

The major difference between walking meditation and 'walking mindful' is probably that in the meditation one has nowhere to go, no destination, one just walks just up a few meters turns and walks back, with the mind focused on the steps, while walking mindful can be done anywhere, it might have a destination, a 'wanting to go', the mind is alert on everything that occurs, like stones on the path, people who come across, etc.

For both there is a time. The Buddha recommended to practice walking meditation and in some suttas it is written that he was walking up and down. It is not mandatory but recommended to do meditation sitting and walking as a set. For all the rest of the walking, wherever one goes, one should do it mindfully.

by walking and doing chores barefoot in i.e. forest monastery one trains to be mindful while walking and highly alert not to step on anything dangerous, but it is certainly different from walking meditation, when one is only with the step and has no destination, it's kind of another dimension.

Hope this is explanation is good enough.

best wishes

altar

Postby altar » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:50 pm

I think I would generally prefer outside.

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”